All-Star Convincing Parents To Move To Gym Further Away?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is true - if a lot of your peers are at your level (RO BHS level), you all may very well move up in skill around the same time and your small Gym A may suddenly have a need/option to make a higher level team. Work hard on your own skills and don't get ahead of yourself. As former small gym coach, it's the worst feeling to train someone from the ground up (not that that's what is going on with you) and watch them walk out the door to go to that bigger gym.

Just focus on what's realistic for you right now. There's always next season!
I feel the same exact way. Happened to me too and we were only a 2nd year program. Wasn't even given a chance (also not what you are saying) but I agree stay where you are and perfect your level before thinking about going higher somewhere else. Good luck with whatever you do :)

Thanks for al the help/advice. The gym isn't home for me. Its not just the level issue, theres more issues too. I'm definetly switching to either B or this other gym thats close by too. I was just trying to convince my parents to go to C because they are one of the best and teaching tumbling skills in the Nation.

Thanks for al the help/advice. The gym isn't home for me. Its not just the level issue, theres more issues too. I'm definetly switching to either B or this other gym thats close by too. I was just trying to convince my parents to go to C because they are one of the best and teaching tumbling skills in the Nation.

Just because they have a great rep and a name does not mean they will be the best bet for you. Also, not sure where you live but many states now have graduated driver's licenses (like not allowed to drive at dark or past a certain time). Even if they did not - a new driver should not be driving a long distance after an exhausting practice most likely in the dark -- too many red flags (I speak not only as a mom but a teen driver who worked long hours and then drove a short distance at night and wrecked). Perhaps a compromise since you said you have friends who go to Gym C is during breaks you could look at maybe doing an overnight with them and doing some tumble classes or private sessions or camps and start to really get a feel for gym C and an understanding as to what you and your parents would have to commit to if Gym C happens.
I also agree with the point someone made that your current gym or gym B may have more options as girls develop there skills.
As a parent the name a gym has is not going to make an impact on me. My child's safety in getting there, the time and money involved, and if the gym's feel and philosophy match with the values of my family. I think you are more likely to get Gym B at this point, but Gym C for a camp or workshop could really teach you a lot.

Ok, so I'm just reading this now. Everything I'm giving you is from a coaching perspective.

You say you almost have your RO BHS (not solid, but close, so I'm going to assume you are still getting spotted). Without telling me what kind of standing you have, though I'm going to guess just a BHS, you are a low level 2 cheerleader. You should not be working level 3 skills at this point.

Just because no one is currently teaching skills higher than a BHS at this point, doesn't mean they won't in the future.

Gym B apparently has levels 2 and 3. But why are your parents going to drive you an extra 40 minutes for a level you are already on? How much are gym fees? Do they travel more including out of state which requires hotel stay? How much is a new uniform and practice clothes? Your parents have more concerns than just the 40 extra minutes of commute.

Gym C is a Worlds gym. I'm guessing they have all levels available. You say they have a reputation of bumping athletes up. But, how big a gym are they? Larger gyms have a bigger pool to draw from, making it harder to make a level without all skills. In a big gym, you could be placed on a level 1 team cause you don't have your RO BHS. Won't be placed on a 3 until you have multiple standing BHS, Running Tuck and specialities through. Again, I have the same questions as above regarding tuition, comps ect.

3 weeks is not a long enough time to gauge progression. How many times a week are you tumbling? How are the other areas of cheer (jumps, stunting, motion ect)? Don't push yourself to progress too fast. Concentrate on perfection before progression, it will only benefit you in the end.

Being that this is only your first year, my advice would be to give gym A a chance. Teams change every year based on the talent in the gym. If enough kids get the skills, you could move up a level. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

NJ Coach love your response. You sound like you have the same mind set my CPs' coaches have and I love it. We came from one program where that was not the focus it was fast hard throw new skills and where we are now we started there by just tumbling and I swore we would not switch (involved a little more of a drive and $$) but I was so impressed with the coaches and they taught the way you said that I bit the bullet and made the switch. SO HAPPY I DID. Love the phrase "concentrate on perfection before progression, it will only benefit you in the end" -- it certainly has my CPs.

Since i've posted this, my Dad (he kind of is more involved w/ cheer than my mom, so he makes the "cheer decisions" ) said he really wants to send me to Gym C, but its just 30 minutes too far. He talked about car pool. Have any of you used a car pool system? Did you know the other family really well?

I've carpooled for a couple of seasons now. The first year my family did it was our second year in the program, and most of the people on my team with me were new. We just noticed on the contact list that some people lived relatively close to us and we got to know them and decided that it would be a good idea to try carpooling...we all ended up growing really close :) It helps in a carpool when one parent or family is in charge of making a master schedule for everybody else to follow to see who drives when, it makes the system a lot smoother and helps with communication. Overall, when necessary, carpooling is definitely a fun and environmental friendly option!

Since i've posted this, my Dad (he kind of is more involved w/ cheer than my mom, so he makes the "cheer decisions" ) said he really wants to send me to Gym C, but its just 30 minutes too far. He talked about car pool. Have any of you used a car pool system? Did you know the other family really well?
I would maybe call gym C and explain the situation, that the drive is to far for your parents every day, and see if they have other athletes that are coming in from your area to try to work out a potential car pool. Like others have said, I would stick with your current gym for the season and work on your skills there for now. Show your parents how bad that you want it, and maybe with the option of a car pool they will consider it for next year! Good luck!!

Thank you ALL for so much advice! I'm going to *hopefully* sign up for gym C next season, and call them to see if they have anybody from a town nearby! :) If that doesn't work out, well, we'll see!

Thank you ALL for so much advice! I'm going to *hopefully* sign up for gym C next season, and call them to see if they have anybody from a town nearby! :) If that doesn't work out, well, we'll see!
Sounds good, once piece of advice, I know you will be very excited about going to Gym C but make sure that you are not talking about it all the time at your practices or to alot of you teammates. They may get offended by you talking about wanting to be somewhere else. =)

I would try a tumbling class or an open gym session there at some point in the spring before tryouts to make sure this is where you want to be. Go more than once. This way you can get a better feel for it, see if it somewhere you truly want to be and get a taste of the drive.

I would try a tumbling class or an open gym session there at some point in the spring before tryouts to make sure this is where you want to be. Go more than once. This way you can get a better feel for it, see if it somewhere you truly want to be and get a taste of the drive.
Thats a great idea. We have been in situations where my daughter thought she loved a gym because they were all really nice to her when she went for her free trial, but after she wasnt very happy after that! The gym we are at now, she went to open gyms for a few months and took a few tumbling classes to see how she fit in with the other kids. Best idea ever!

We did a car pool before. A 17 year old drove her Mom's van back & forth. All the girls pitched in for gas. One day my CP said "name" was texting on the way there and we almost got in a bad wreck. Scared me too death! Make sure you have a very mature, responsible driver.

We did a car pool before. A 17 year old drove her Mom's van back & forth. All the girls pitched in for gas. One day my CP said "name" was texting on the way there and we almost got in a bad wreck. Scared me too death! Make sure you have a very mature, responsible driver.
Oh of course! My parents would only let me ride with an Adult who has a good record and what not

Back