All-Star Correct Flying Postions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've always wondered what the correct position is for arabesques (I probably spelled that wrong). There's so many ways to do them

My question becomes 'When does a heel stretch become a front stretch?' because the way people were describing it, it's essentially a front stretch... When I think front stretch, I think hips square kicking straight forward (like if you're in a split, but you were standing). When I think heel stretch, I think hips square with knee a bit to the side (if you've ever danced, like a side kick in dance, except when we do it we kick forward but it still has that slightly off-to-the-side placement). As in the 'stretch' you see/feel is slightly different. Am I missing something?

For arabesques, this to me is wrong. Her chest is low to bring her leg up higher
tumblr_llzp0xu06s1qkdfbbo1_500.png

For heel stretches, is this correct?
tumblr_llmj69fIk21qgf779o1_500.jpg

So I'm guessing the judges don't care too much if knees are in or out, due to the amount of good teams doing them "wrong"?

My question becomes 'When does a heel stretch become a front stretch?' because the way people were describing it, it's essentially a front stretch... When I think front stretch, I think hips square kicking straight forward (like if you're in a split, but you were standing). When I think heel stretch, I think hips square with knee a bit to the side (if you've ever danced, like a side kick in dance, except when we do it we kick forward but it still has that slightly off-to-the-side placement). As in the 'stretch' you see/feel is slightly different. Am I missing something?
i 100 percent agree with how you explained the body positions! For arabesques, the chest should be up with the knee facing the crowd. I loved when flyers keep their leg really high in an arabesque while keeping their chest up too! Dropping your chest is just cheating it in my opinion.

So I'm guessing the judges don't care too much if knees are in or out, due to the amount of good teams doing them "wrong"?
Honestly I don't think there is any wrong or right way to do them. Its just whatever your team does. You just need to make sure everyone on your team does it the same way.
It wouldnt be wrong. it would just be called something slightly different.

WAIT- in cheer arabesques they're supposed to have your knee face forward? To me that feels like cheating..also it tends to give way to lazy knees..

I remember some teams kicking up and hitting an arabesque before tilting forward slightly..like hit 5, 6 pop 7,8. Always thought it looked nice- think I remember someone calling the part where they tilted forward an airplane? Don't ask me why, my brain might be malfunctioning..

A front stretch is like a heel stretch, but you hold your foot with both hands, and your leg comes up sideways instead of coming up the front. haha sorry if that's hard to understand

Back