All-Star Correct Flying Postions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Every gym might have their own different preferences so as long as every flyer is doing the same thing I don't really mind unless it's just completely wrong. There's nothing worse than seeing one girl with her heel stretch practically covering her face and the girl next to her has it waayy out to the side.

How do these girls go through all these years of cheer, all these levels, and different coaches and no one told them to fix their heel stretch. I always knew girls had different variations of it, which doesn't bother me because our bodies are all different, but I didn't know there was a right and wrong way. As long as it wasn't ugly :p

My question becomes 'When does a heel stretch become a front stretch?' because the way people were describing it, it's essentially a front stretch... When I think front stretch, I think hips square kicking straight forward (like if you're in a split, but you were standing). When I think heel stretch, I think hips square with knee a bit to the side (if you've ever danced, like a side kick in dance, except when we do it we kick forward but it still has that slightly off-to-the-side placement). As in the 'stretch' you see/feel is slightly different. Am I missing something?
I have always thought the same thing!!!!

I was taught that a heel stretch keeps your arms in high v and your leg just happens to be held by one arm so it will be slightly turned out (like TG example). Front stretch is directly to the front held by two arms. I'm a former ballerina so arabesques will always be turned out with my knee facing front no matter what anyone says, I can't do it any other way if I tried!

On the heel stretch issue......just no "L" stands!!!! Foot twisted side sideways??? Look at the position of the hip....even on the top gun vs marlin picture above the hip position is very similar, the hip is not rotated to the side, it is coming forward in both.

Correct scorpion, to me.
6093_241052065600_567530600_8013970_6469262_n.jpg

THIS MAKES ME WANT TO CRINGE. (no offense to this girl, this just isn't an arabesque to me. I have this pictures saved on my computer as "cheater" hahaha)
98fu40.jpg

How do these girls go through all these years of cheer, all these levels, and different coaches and no one told them to fix their heel stretch. I always knew girls had different variations of it, which doesn't bother me because our bodies are all different, but I didn't know there was a right and wrong way. As long as it wasn't ugly :p
You got it! There really is no right or wrong way when it comes to seeing it on the mat. We may believe there is, and I do believe there is a correct way to train it, but when it comes down to what the flys actually do in the air, as long as it looks good, they can do it. I really don't think the knee placement in a scorp or foot angle in a stretch is even noticeable to the judges , or us (unless they're completely not flexible).....until we see the pics.

Flexibility is a whole other pet peeve of mine for another thread!

In a heel stretch the hips should be square to the front and the heel should be down, toe turned out - not in. Getting the toe to turn out is how the hand is holding the stretch. If the hand is pulling out then the heel will turn out and the toe will turn in. The hand has to be rolling in to keep the toe out and heel down.

I like to see two completely different body positions when going from stretch to bow. I always yell at the kids - that's not a stretch thats a bow with one hand lol. But its also teaching your flyers to all do it the same way no matter what it is. If everyone pulls the same it will look good on the floor.

Yes, maybe....but it really doesn't matter according to judges who crown these top teams as winners all year.

My question becomes 'When does a heel stretch become a front stretch?' because the way people were describing it, it's essentially a front stretch... When I think front stretch, I think hips square kicking straight forward (like if you're in a split, but you were standing). When I think heel stretch, I think hips square with knee a bit to the side (if you've ever danced, like a side kick in dance, except when we do it we kick forward but it still has that slightly off-to-the-side placement). As in the 'stretch' you see/feel is slightly different. Am I missing something?
IMO:
A heel stretch: heel forwards, hips/leg straight. You kick it straight up, not to the side. It becomes an overstretch when you grab it with that second hand, which is usually when the hip turns out. I flew for a while, and this was my observation haha.

Back