Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. ImAChauffeuse

ImAChauffeuse Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    She is commenting with her opinion and I am responding with mine. You inserted yourself into that, so I’m not sure how you think I should be the one minding my own business. I am sorry about your daughter’s friend but my position stands - if people want things to get back to normal they need to exercise responsibility and wear a mask if they choose to go out. The rest of the world is getting back to normal because they have done this. EVERYONE is anxious to get back to normal. NOBODY enjoys wearing a mask. Meanwhile our numbers are rising out of control because idiots think it’s infringing on muh freedoms to have to wear one. It is infuriating, and I refuse to sugar coat it for my own kids or anyone on this board. These past few weeks I have seen so many cheer parents posting all the photos from their ring parties, team reveal parties, team pool/beach days, etc. Parents allowing their kids (and themselves) to pretend everything is normal is WHY IT’S NOT and why this is going to affect all of our lives much longer.

2. quietmom

quietmom Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    exhaustedmom79
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter's friend.

3. RobinSparkles

RobinSparkles Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    _robin_sparkles
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    that's just... I can't.
    The wife of an actor (who's been in an ICU for weeks, lost a leg, and had a temporary pacemaker) just announced he's probably going to need a double lung transplant. The idea that some people want to try and get a disease that does something like that...
    (edited to add that he passed away today. he was only 41, and had no underlying health conditions.)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  4. Atxmom

Atxmom I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Interesting. Do you mind if I ask what grades these are for? Is it large or small district?

5. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Bryan ISD, Pre K-12th. I’d say we are medium size.

6. california cheer mom

california cheer mom Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    That's a breathing trainer, totally different from a cloth or surgical mask. It is meant to train lungs to perform at a higher level.

7. a_cheer_leaderxo

a_cheer_leaderxo I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Here in England, it has been announced that schools are to be back full time and with all pupils back for the new school year (our school year starts in September though.) Our schools never completely shut - they stayed open for the children of essential workers and for vulnerable children and last month they began welcoming back certain year groups where possible and with many guidelines in place.

8. AshleyErin

AshleyErin I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot Bracket Winner

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    In Ontario they're talking about doing half in person, half virtual in order to reduce the number of kids at the school at once. I have soooo many opinions - why have the kids exposed at school to certain kids than to different kids at daycare/a babysitter? not all parents can stay home with their kids every other week/day

9. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yeah. Our school district did not want the half time option, bc it wouldn’t work for a lot of parents.

We will have in person with precautions or a virtual option. If numbers don’t get better though before next month there might not be an in person option at all. As per our school superintendent.

10. a_cheer_leaderxo

a_cheer_leaderxo I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Yeah I think that's one of the many reasons a half and half scenario is not happening over here.

11. quietmom

quietmom Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    exhaustedmom79
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    For anyone who has a child in special education considering the online option, this is from a special education attorney in Georgia. It's a long read with a lot of good information.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Fear is touching every profession, but it will boil down to people will quit or go back to work. A few years back our school district did a reverse learning experiment in HS. The kids sat at home and listened to an online lecture provided by one teacher for all the kids within that district, and then at school the teachers provided question and answer time within class. Teachers in our district realized quickly you don't need 1 teacher to 24 students to provide question and answer time online, you can handle student questions much like a Customer Service online call bank with camera capability. Our school district is giving a choice this semester, however, that has a lot of teachers in our district concerned for their jobs, as well. They are well aware of the greatly decreased tax income from businesses and residents. Ultimately, most of the teachers I know are concerned about their students for the same reasons the AAP is, but I'm sure there will be some teachers that quit out of concern for their health no matter when school goes back in session.

13. FTSP

FTSP Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    There is no safe way to stunt at this time of masks aren’t worn. It sucks for the athletes,coaches,parents,etc but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. DonnaM

DonnaM I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Memphis is offering in person or virtual as well. Apparently 40% of parents did not want to send their kids back on surveys, which will get numbers low enough in the rooms to allow social distancing. They are also delaying the start of school a few weeks in the hopes of getting the current spike under control.

Fall sports are not allowed to practice while we're under a state of emergency. I know that most schools did cheer tryouts in June, before the order to shut down practices came down, but I assume they can't practice now, although the articles have focused on football.

My community college will have no fall sports, and is doing classes online except for labs and practical classes. No social events or gatherings for more than 10, so no in person club meetings, etc, on or off campus. I'm guessing that means they won't have cheer at all this year.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. CheerItFullOut

CheerItFullOut I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    In California here,
    We started practice (heavily modified) July 1
    Temp checks, social distancing, no stunting, kids have to answer a series of questions, can’t practice in groups larger than 10 and must be outside-we also spray hand sanitizer every water break, No use of public facilities or water fountains Etc...
    Two days in, we paused practices in anticipation of a 4th of July outside socialization spike. So we will not be returning until the 13th as a preventative.
    Our School was supposed to go back Aug 13 and now that is delayed to 20th.
    We are planning a hybrid return with two days of in person instruction and 3 days of virtual. No activities except athletics. We expect fall athletics to be delayed either to October or pushed to January.
    It is what it is...
    We took a survey with the kids and even though those two days of practice were really weird with all the guidelines/ modifications And they couldn’t stunt... kids said just being together in any capacity was HUGE- gave them a sense of support and structure in all the chaos. So happy they we were able to provide that for them, even if it was just for a couple of days.
    Hoping people are responsible this 4th so we can look at getting these numbers down- I think we can definitely balance being with loved ones or vacationing/celebrating but doing it in a way that is responsible.
    Again- BALANCE (something I feel we would all be better off ...as a result of; it was practiced with EVERYTHING)