Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. AndyT_T

AndyT_T Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Agreed 100%. I used to work in an CTICU at a transplant hospital (not as a nurse, as a nurse extern in school) and people both immediately before and after getting a lung transplant would wear a surgical mask when would walk them with PT/OT. People with the worst possible lung function would wear a mask when they exercised even the day before a lung transplant assuming they weren’t intubated/on ECMO. In a thread on reddits medical subreddit hundreds of doctors weighed in an very very few disease processes could be thought up in all of their collective knowledge that would make mask wearing unsafe (4 reasons that are valid, two that are actually physiologic). There’s literally no excuse for not wearing a mask.
    Kids will adapt to what they are told is expected. That’s the thing kids do better than anything else, they observe, mimic, and adapt. If you raise your kids to wear masks they will wear masks - most of East Asia already has this social custom we are just behind in the west.

Here is the reddit thread: Serious Question: not wearing a mask in public is idiotic. Some people are claiming a medical exemption due to some medical condition, what medical condition is that? Are there any real medical contraindication for wearing a surgical mask in public? : medicine

2. HeatUniqueJ

HeatUniqueJ Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    About the masks. All of Germany has been required to wear masks on public transportation and in every public building or supermarket/mall/restaurant since April 29th.
    Studies and numbers have proven that it has slowed down the increase of infections significantly.

I know most of you probably don't really care that much about what is going on here , I still wanted to leave this out there since i just came across a couple of very aggrevating and ignorant posts on social media by both Cheerleading Coaches/Gym Owners and friends/relatives from the US. One of them complaining about being sent masks by the government to wear.....for free.... Wow, just wow.

I just wished people would stop feeling so ''robbed of their freedom'' by every single thing that is happening right now. Bottom line is, the longer this takes the worse it will get for every single one of us. We should just fight this battle together and all be on the same page! No matter where we are in this world!

3. molls

molls I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    I love to hear that the masks are having a positive impact in Germany. I am very pro-mask (I mean, I hate wearing it but I'm doing it because other people's lives are more important than the comfort of my chin) and I am happy to see that they're doing their job in your country. To hear an "every day person" from another country speak on that - it's something Americans that refuse masks need to hear. Is there a lot of push back from other citizens in Germany regarding the masks? Or do people just seem to do it because it's what's best for their family, friends, neighbors, etc?

4. HeatUniqueJ

HeatUniqueJ Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I mean there are also a bunch of people who dislike wearing masks and think they are unnecessary . But for the most part everyone is just doing what they are supposed to do, and by following these rules we are pretty close to getting our normal life back. It might take another couple weeks but economy is already recovering a little bit and there is a very careful light at the end of the tunnel it seems.
    I think part of that has to do with us not being very adventurous or rebellious haha , if the doctors say ''wear a mask'' Germans will most likely be like ''okay'' . This might not always be a good thing, but in this case, it is.

I'm not the biggest fan either, it hurts my ears and it's hot, but for the 10-20 minutes i go into a store , i will survive being uncomfortable if it helps the cause.

5. cac4life

cac4life They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Thank you! That's so kind of you to say and to care. People think that im not caring about others, but I know im good with god and will get through this. It's hard when what saved your life is ripped away. And I appreciate people like you who see that and don't just trample on my feeling saying that there pointless and that I should be selfless for other. I'm trying to be patient, but cheer saved my life, and I need it back. I need the positivity in my life that cheer gives me.

6. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    This is a very real thing. I'm fine with someone disliking this post too because I have a different opinion than theirs, but many kids won't just "get over it". This isolation and lack of activities for this length of time has a very real, long term detrimental effect.
    My friend is a 4th grade teacher in a low income city. She lost 40% of her class when schools closed and went online. More than 10 kids who she has no idea where they are. She called all of the contact numbers with no response. Her fellow teachers have similar stats. All of those kids who's only structure was school and many who face severe abuse now have had no outside contact for months. It's scary to think what is happening to those kids and how they will be impacted long term. That's not to say we shouldn't take precautions and be sensible regarding covid - but I think there are other very important life altering impacts to consider as well.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Yes to all this! some people thrive with structure being part of their every day life, including me. Being out of work, thrown into a full time stay at home mom, and then to top it off not really being able to go anywhere or do anything the normal way. Has been a huge blow to my mental health.
    Its isolating, its hard, im not sitting on my butt eating oreos all day like people seem to think the unemployed are doing.
    Same thing goes for the kids, who are use to going to school 5 days a week, sports, activities, clubs, etc.

while i have the upmost respect for the people who have been working through all this, and understand the risks that are putting themselves into. As well feel for the lives lost. Its not easy on the other side of things either. People telling other people to sit at home and not go anywhere for weeks on end, probably arent themselves sitting at home, and dont realize how bad that is for a lot of people's mental health.

i dont think its selfish for wanting normal back.

8. cheer36mom

cheer36mom I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I am so glad that you are touching on the mental health aspect of all of this. People truly have no idea what this is doing to so many. Even the great mask debate, I can guarentee you that certain people really can't wear a mask for various reasons one large one being anxiety. But, unfortunately this situation has brought the true hate out of so many people, so those people don't care what issues others may be dealing with. It really makes me so frustrated that people can only see one side of this.

9. cac4life

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Thank you! I greatly appreciate people like you. This has been so mentally taxing and exhausting, and between anxiety about a mask, finally being ok to show my face without having anxiety to only have to cover it again, and physically PASSING OUT, with a mask, its hard. Its just so hard, and I appreciate people who see and respect that

10. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    i especially like the people who are given this response about mental health and then proceed to tell people to F their mental health because other peoples physical health is more important. Like why arent both considered important.... And clearly people who say those things have never actually struggled with mental health and isolation.
    you literally just cant win in this situation though. People dont like hearing different sides, regardless of the issue, they want to hear the one that pleases them. But im a believer that the internet can be an awful place for people who struggle with mental health, and can cause more harm then good these days, in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  11. cac4life

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I am a huge supporter of mental health is just as important as physical health.

12. 5monkeysjumping

5monkeysjumping Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    This is taking a huge toll on many peoples' mental and emotional health. I was just joking today that I'm naturally an introvert, but not this introverted!!! If masks make you pass out, you should look into a shield. I have a child with severe medical trauma from spending her early years in a Chinese orphanage with surgeries at a Chinese military hospital. Shields can be a great option!

13. cac4life

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    with all respect, I don't wear a mask unless I have to. And how am I supposed to base and fly with a shield? good advice for when I go out and am "required" to where something.

14. SparkleSpankies

SparkleSpankies I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    This statement right here is why this cheer season no matter how hopeful we are is going to be very difficult.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 20
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  15. Atxmom

Atxmom I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent