All-Star Craig El Arrested For Stealing From Gymtyme Ga Families

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There obviously was a mismanagement of his finances. There is no question about that but giving him a lengthy jail sentence isn't the answer. Ultimate Athletics ran successfully for 10+ years without any question around finances. He has developed and positively impacted hundreds of athletes over those 10 years. To paint him as an uncaring, cheating scoundrel is incredibly unfair. I can guarantee that no one is more disappointed in Craig than himself.

With that said, he is 100% responsible to pay restitution but doing "a lot of jail time" is asinine. This should be a civil case and not a criminal case.

He's innocent until proven guilty, however, the article states "he stole thousands and left town" and there had to be some type of evidence or money trail that allowed them to charge him with a crime. It's possible he mismanaged money, but that doesn't explain having thousands of dollars, leaving town and choosing not to pay for services promised to his customers.

If he's guilty it's theft. There might be fewer white collar criminals if they did jail time.

If he does "a lot of time in jail" then explain how he would be able to pay restitution and the fine that will most likely be assessed. This man has no previous criminal history and the nature and circumstances of what happened haven't even been established. We aren't talking about millions of dollars here. At most we're looking at $24K - $90K. Our prison system is already severely taxed and yet you want to add to it rather than allow a man to make right what is wrong.

To lump all white collar crimes as the same is not only irresponsible but it's ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, glad you picked out just part of what I said. Because I did say he should pay restitution. I also qualified it by saying "if he is found guilty."

He's innocent until proven guilty, however, the article states "he stole thousands and left town" and there had to be some type of evidence or money trail that allowed them to charge him with a crime. It's possible he mismanaged money, but that doesn't explain having thousands of dollars, leaving town and choosing not to pay for services promised to his customers.

And we all know the media represents the news "accurately". They are stating what they know; nothing more and nothing less. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, we (including myself) need to allow the judicial system to work its process. I'm not saying something didn't happen here; at this time we don't know what the extent is.

Well, glad you picked out just part of what I said. Because I did say he should pay restitution. I also qualified it by saying "if he is found guilty."

And you also used the word "jail" in two of your posts. Just to be clear.

The issue going forward for this owner is the trust is broken. I would never put my child in any gym he owned or ran at this point. I live pretty close to his Illinois gym. His money issues go way back and many are aware. This is nothing new he just didn't get away with it this time. I feel for the families that are still in his gyms because I'm certain they truly like him. I work way to hard to pay for my daughters Cheer so being in a reputable gym is so important to me. Sad flr sure. I find no happiness watching others pain.

I completely agree. Not only will he have to live with the sentence that the judge gives him, we will most certainly suffer a huge loss to his customer base. It's going to be an incredibly difficult lesson to learn and hopefully he grows from so it never happens again.

Right? Fraud involving $5000 or more in Canada carries a max sentence of 14 years in jail, while theft is "only" up to 10 years. If the 24k to 90k estimate is in any way accurate, he definitely should receive some kind of jail sentence, because that amount isn't usually the result of an innocent mistake.

Couldn't agree with you more.

He's innocent until proven guilty, but he was in town for a court showing for a DUI. That's how they got him.

And in general when it's something like this they have strong evidence and a good case before they arrest for someone out of town. Reason being if the case isn't strong enough and they let him out it could be hard to get him back in town. He's due his day in court as all citizens are, but money is on a couple years in jail.

@MaxeyJewels "at MOST 24k TO 90k" ??? Must be nice to think that is a small amount of money. :mad:

I never said it was a small amount of money. I said "at most it was $24K - $90K" as you pointed out in your response. I further qualified by saying "We aren't talking about millions of dollars here. Our prison system is already severely taxed and yet you want to add to it rather than allow a man to make right what is wrong."

Right? Fraud involving $5000 or more in Canada carries a max sentence of 14 years in jail, while theft is "only" up to 10 years. If the 24k to 90k estimate is in any way accurate, he definitely should receive some kind of jail sentence, because that amount isn't usually the result of an innocent mistake.

I never said it was an "innocent mistake". I did say "There obviously was a mismanagement of his finances." because I don't know what happened. Neither do you or anyone else on this board. I would like to hear the facts of the case before identifying him as guilty. I also will stand by my comment that "Our prison system is already severely taxed and yet you want to add to it rather than allow a man to make right what is wrong." It's going to awfully difficult to pay back that money while he would be incarcerated.

Back