All-Star Creative Conditioning

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
I am looking for a creative conditioning drill for my team. My team threw a single base stunt at a game that they had never thrown in practice and didn't have a spot and the girl fell off the back. So I am looking to do some conditioning but instead of just running them into the ground I am looking for something more creative. Potentially something that requires a little thought in order to complete. I can't think of anything off the top of my head but basically something where if you figure out the trick to it it will be over but until then its awful.

Any ideas? Also if it helps build cheer skills as well that would be excellent. I have plenty of conditioning drills that I can do but I am looking for something that I have not done before.

I am looking for a creative conditioning drill for my team. My team threw a single base stunt at a game that they had never thrown in practice and didn't have a spot and the girl fell off the back. So I am looking to do some conditioning but instead of just running them into the ground I am looking for something more creative. Potentially something that requires a little thought in order to complete. I can't think of anything off the top of my head but basically something where if you figure out the trick to it it will be over but until then its awful.

Any ideas? Also if it helps build cheer skills as well that would be excellent. I have plenty of conditioning drills that I can do but I am looking for something that I have not done before.
few questions. why did they try something that they've never attempted before? why wasnt there a spot? I'm assuming you are the coach, is this a type of punishment? if it is i surely hope you didnt encourage them to do the brand new skill..

Yes I am the coach. Yes this is a type of punishment. I didn't mention that it is a high school program but high school kids sometimes have a mind of their own and I did not tell them to try the skill. I have told them countless times that they should not try things at a game that we have not practiced before. I have also told them countless times that every single base skill needs a spot. They are for the most part good at this but for this skill there was not a spot. When I asked the team why no one spotted the skill they said that the athletes did not ask for a spot which I find an unacceptable answer. In my opinion whether or not a person asks for a spot if you see someone throwing a skill you go spot the skills.

I am not necessarily looking for a punishment that is specific to this occurrence. I am just simply looking for something new and creative and possibly related to cheer skills.

At our gym, they do something called the "snake", where they use the lines on the floor. They go up and down the lines, and on each one, they have a different drill. (Straddle jumps, ski jumps, burpees, duck walking, etc, and sometimes they'll tumble up a line or two depending on what they're working on.) They keep going up and down in a line, and then when they get to the end, they run back to the start. They usually do this at the beginning of practice for a total of about 20 to 30 minutes. They started doing this type of conditioning at the beginning of the summer, and the kids were all saying that they'd been bitten by the snake. Now, it's common, and they don't mind it so much. They're in much better condition now, though! Good luck!

We used to play follow the leader in field hockey. You take your seniors and have them run all around (we did this on a field so you'd have to improvise for a gym) The seniors would just run around to spots like run on top of the benches, jump over them, do pushups inside the goal stuff like that and the rest of the team follows. Basically just tell your seniors to run around for however many minutes (we usually did about 20 mins.) I always liked that drill because it wasn't the same repetitive sprinting and jogging we mixed it up. And it lets the seniors have a chance to lead. It is definitely tiring though!

Yes I am the coach. Yes this is a type of punishment. I didn't mention that it is a high school program but high school kids sometimes have a mind of their own and I did not tell them to try the skill. I have told them countless times that they should not try things at a game that we have not practiced before. I have also told them countless times that every single base skill needs a spot. They are for the most part good at this but for this skill there was not a spot. When I asked the team why no one spotted the skill they said that the athletes did not ask for a spot which I find an unacceptable answer. In my opinion whether or not a person asks for a spot if you see someone throwing a skill you go spot the skills.

I am not necessarily looking for a punishment that is specific to this occurrence. I am just simply looking for something new and creative and possibly related to cheer skills.
I think creative conditioning is the least of your concerns. I am not sure where you were when this all happened - as a coach I would think it could have been prevented by yelling STOP and running over as you saw them set for the stunt - unassisted stunts don't go up instantly particularly if the group has never done it before. If by chance it happened completely out of your control then only the athletes involved in the stunt should be benched and a meeting take place with the AD and parents involved. If you can't trust your athletes on the sidelines to keep themselves safe than you should be on the sidelines with them.

At this point, I am very thankful that my team has the fear of god instilled in them. Not kidding.

I asked them why they didn't do extension cradles (just extensions), they said "we didn't warm them up".. yes ladies but we warmed up everything else, extension and lib bumps, lib cradles.. etc

They need to not try anything, i almost would ground the entire team for a full game.

I think creative conditioning is the least of your concerns. I am not sure where you were when this all happened - as a coach I would think it could have been prevented by yelling STOP and running over as you saw them set for the stunt - unassisted stunts don't go up instantly particularly if the group has never done it before. If by chance it happened completely out of your control then only the athletes involved in the stunt should be benched and a meeting take place with the AD and parents involved. If you can't trust your athletes on the sidelines to keep themselves safe than you should be on the sidelines with them.
THIS. As a high school principal I can already imagine the conference that would've landed in my office the next day. The very first question I would have is, "where was the supervision." High school kids do have a mind of their own and do think they're invincible. That's why they have to be supervised.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

TBH I am not a fan of conditioning punishment. I always think the conditioning means the athletes think it is 'ok' because they did their time. I prefer to remove something from them. They lose an ability or lose the chance to do something. It all depends on your team what makes sense, but pushups do not equal dropping a flyer. Not being allowed to cheer the next game or any game ever again because you wont listen to your coach and safety rules more expresses the importance of not dropping flyers.

@stuntaholic I onow you had another thread about conditioning as punishment so you already know what I think.

All I'll add at this point is that it sounds like you and this team need to have a "Come to Jesus" talk. This is just too many issues for one season - especially one season that just started! I think it's going to take more than conditioning to get you back in a place where YOU have control of this team.

@stuntaholic I onow you had another thread about conditioning as punishment so you already know what I think.

All I'll add at this point is that it sounds like you and this team need to have a "Come to Jesus" talk. This is just too many issues for one season - especially one season that just started! I think it's going to take more than conditioning to get you back in a place where YOU have control of this team.

TRUTH about you taking control of your team, not them controlling you. :) And sometimes, it is super tough.

It wasn't that they were being watched. They were throwing a Toss Hands Heelstretch. And they are capable of throwing a toss hands lib so when I looked over they were in hands about to press and I had no idea they were going to heelstretch. I had toyed with the idea of no stunting but I decided against it. This was the first time a flyer had hit the ground since we have started in June and I felt like they have done a good job thus far with spotting and being safe that some sort of conditioning would be an appropriate reminder. However, if it happens again I definitely agree no stunting will be implemented. For our freshman team we have implemented no stunting for two weeks because it has happened twice now where there was no attempt at catching a flyer from the bases. I am not sure how severe it was but after talking it over with my freshman coach we decided two weeks of no stunting was appropriate.

As a parent I would not be ok with conditioning as a punishment in the case, however I would be ok with taking something away from the team such as not being allowed to stunt at the next game or something similar to that. Just the opinion of a mom who does not even have a high school age kid yet.

I couple things I've done with my team before. Not sure how creative they are but they are different than just running.

Play their routine music (or anyone's music) have them throw a tuck/back handspring/toe touch every other 8 count.

Tuck/handspring/jump circles

"Circle of Death". Circle up and everyone holds a plank. One person does 5 pushups while everyone else holds the plank, then the next person does their 5, and next until the circle is completed. Then you start over with 4 push ups, then 3, 2, and 1. You can do whatever number but I wouldn't go too high because it gets pretty tiring. Start over if someone drops from the plank.

All stunt groups load in to preps and power press to extensions 5-8 times. A lot more taxing on the bases than anyone else so maybe switch out.

Make the group that fell stay after and execute the stunt 10 times perfectly at practice before they can leave.

Lib contests. Probably a little more fun than "punishment" but it's still a good workout.

Last edited:
Back