All-Star crossovers!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i'm not sure why, but crossovers from sr 5 teams to jr 5 teams bug me a lot more than from different levels. i've seen teams with crossovers that do 1+ sr 5 teams crossgo down to junior 5's, and it just kills me because they're probably only on the team to boost it up. i understand 1-2, but any more than that really gets me.

I'm not a huge fan of cross-overs either, but as most of you have said, I do understand the need in certain circumstances. At the start of each season, every athlete has one team in our program. When athletes either quit (Grrrr...) or we have an injury two weeks out from an event, we swap in an athlete from another team. This year we've made an effort to find new athletes to fill the voids as we could so we don't have to continue to use cross-overs all year long for every competition. It can be hard finding a replacement for a Senior 4 team mid-season (especially in our area), but we do the best we can!

Feel free to PM me and I will tell what I can since I can be more detailed than is necessary here.

Just like cheer gyms, there are different gymnastic gyms. Different visions, goals, etc. Some are Olympic training Center type gyms, with many gymnasts training at the highest levels. Others are smaller mom and pop so glad to have a program in this community type gyms. So that plays a major part in their training cycle. I have worked at both and ran the girls programs at both. The biggest things are:

1.) Conditioning and flexability training. Every day. Without fail or excuse. This period is broken up into several sections. You have the initial conditioning/flex period at the start of practice which may go anywhere from 30 to an hour. (imagine taking the first hour of every cheerleading practice up every time just for this) Then there is specific event conditioning. This is done with each event rotation. Then you have cool down conditioning/core and additional flex at the end of practice.

2.) Positional training. This is done to make sure the athletes have correct body alignment and positions through their skills. Even the most advanced gymnasts still do a basic beam complex, kip cast handsatnd drills on bars, handstand blocks and hurdle drills for vault every time they hit that event. The same goes for drills. Skills are often broken into family groups instead of just isolated lets learn this trick.

3.) Time management. Event rotations are between 20 minutes to 45 minutes. That time is filled with what needs to be done. Warm Up, basic routine, full out routines, sections, drills optional skills. Depending on the time of the year dictates how many full out routines are done.

4.) Managed landings. In a floor routine for example there may be 3 - 5 dance throughs (no tumbling) warm up tumbling, 3 full outs or 5 first and last pass only, and then they are shifted to pit. tumble track, rod floor, trampoline to keep from repetitive pounding on the knees, ankles, wrists, etc.

5.) Injury management. If you are injured or sick that does not become an excuse to wacth everyone else practice. You are sent to condition, stretch or do what you can do to improve.

6.) Practice time. Anywhere from 4 hours to 16/20 hours a week depending on the skill level. Open gyms are usually structured and not free time to goof off for team kids.
Be happy to! :) PM and let me know what you are currently doing.
could i pm you too about this? would love to know what i could do to work out more :)

I know that when I coached at soccer tournaments, the vast majority had a "guest player" rule. That meant you could bring in a player from another team in your club, or even another club altogether, provided they were the correct age, gender, etc. But there are usually pretty strict restrictions on the skill level and number of guest players you can have on a team.

It sounds like from this thread that cheer competitions don't limit crossovers at all, and as long as you meet the age criteria you can participate on as many teams from your gym as you like. Forgive me for my ignorance , but is that correct?

Sometimes small gyms need crossovers to fill all of their teams. I really don't have to much of a problem with it if it is a few team members but if a whole team is crossovers it does bug me.

I know that when I coached at soccer tournaments, the vast majority had a "guest player" rule. That meant you could bring in a player from another team in your club, or even another club altogether, provided they were the correct age, gender, etc. But there are usually pretty strict restrictions on the skill level and number of guest players you can have on a team.

It sounds like from this thread that cheer competitions don't limit crossovers at all, and as long as you meet the age criteria you can participate on as many teams from your gym as you like. Forgive me for my ignorance , but is that correct?
For the most part you are correct.... NCA does limit the number of crossovers and they can only cross to the same level. Worlds has no crossovers. Most of the other competition promoters allow as many as you like.
IMO that is one of the reasons why winning a title at NCA or Worlds is more prestigious than at some others. JMO.

my gyms level 5 team used to be completely crossovers. we have two gyms and there wasnt enough girls with level 5 skills to field a level 5 team in one of the gyms, so they took about half the level 4 girls from each gym to make a level 5 and meet in the middle for practice. now we have a level 5 in only one gym and some of the girls in the other gym just drive the 2+ hours to do level 5 and still be on 4

IMO, I don't have a problem with crossovers; Nor do I have a problem with L5 kids crossing down to any lower level team. If you think about it they can't do any higher skill then what is required in the level they are competing for so what difference does it make they are doing what is allowed regardless of their ability. I would not pick someone from a L1 team to cross over to an L3 team if I can pick an L5 kid who can do the skills.

What I have a problem with is Large programs with crazy numbers crossing over whole teams just so that they have representation in every division in L5. Why? Why can't you be satisfied with J5 and LAG5 & Small ltd coed 5. Why crossover all these kids to make co-ed, & small sr etc...I'm so tired of seening the same kids crossover 3X's over in the same day.

My cp's are gym rats they grew up in the cheer gym and naturally they crossed over. Recently one of them suffered an injury and was under a lot of pressure. So I at that point I said enough. When it stops being fun and it becomes a burden to you team with injuries or your just plain tired. It's time to be done with it.

Back