All-Star Csp Tweet: No More Travelling For Cea Teams.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sorry everyone, yeah I was trying to quote the original comment. I dont know what happened..
I was defending @mstealtoyou - not calling her rude. I just came upon this thread and wanted to read from start to finish until I came across that reply.. I missed the original comment in my quest and figured I would just reply/quote a reply that has to do with it.

I dont think what @mom2three said was very appropriate.
I dont understand how that is gossip @ScottyB
I was clearly just making a statement / voicing my opinion which I am entitled to. Im not going around like "omg did you see what so and so said to Suzie about her jumps ? or, yeah I heard she has secrets in her hair and thats why its so big.. but dont tell anyone i told you. THAT is gossip.

otj05x.png
Cheese n rice... Am I the only person that can read and understand posts now? First @amy1k with her sarcasm, and now you.

Again, fwiw, I understood what/who you were referring to right away. But I guess that's because I read the whole thread and remembered the original post you were quoting.

so i became curious as to how csp managed to get herself banned from here and went looking for her last posts. i searched for username csp and only came up with someone named cspoon, whose avi is that of a spatula with makeup and a wig...

2015_03_09_20_20_20.jpg

i take it that that isnt her. lol.

This made me laugh so hard. Not her.... But oh, how I wish she had made that her name and avi.

I think as kids grow older it might not be as stressful .
This also made me lol... I promise - you ain't seen nothing yet. I'd say it peaks between 3 and 8 years old, and then again around 16, as college looms.

all of the excess travel is eliminating athletes from cheerleading. i have had conversations with a few parents of worlds teams at our gym and they said their kid probably isn't going to return next season because it is too expensive.

This is the main thing keeping Idp from going back right now - trying to figure out how we would afford the travel. We've already crossed 2 gyms off our list because of travel - and this is for level 2 and 3 teams. I just cannot see how I could afford to leave the state 3 times in 3 months. (especially for a child with a back handspring...) I literally do not know how some of these higher level teams manage to find 30+ kids with level 5 skills AND parents that can afford it.

I literally do not know how some of these higher level teams manage to find 30+ kids with level 5 skills AND parents that can afford it.

THIS. It blows my mind. One of our main factors in choosing a gym was travel. I can manage one flying comp a year and it takes planning. With our high school also traveling to Orlando, next year is going to be tricky. I'm actually somewhat grateful that Summit bids are so elusive around here...so it's less likely that I'll have to make two trips. There is at least one girl on our current high school team who went to Florida for HS nationals...and is going to UCA AND the Summit this year. I just can't imagine.

Cheese n rice... Am I the only person that can read and understand posts now? First @amy1k with her sarcasm, and now you.

Again, fwiw, I understood what/who you were referring to right away. But I guess that's because I read the whole thread and remembered the original post you were quoting.

Shut the front door!

I literally do not know how some of these higher level teams manage to find 30+ kids with level 5 skills AND parents that can afford it.

Many times, the talent is homegrown. A lot of those programs have been around for SO LONG that the kids on their Worlds teams are (by and large) kids who grew up Y2, Y1, Tiny 1, etc. at those gyms. Sure, kids come in from other places, but there are a lot of Worlds kids who are homegrown Cheer Athletics/CEA/etc. kids.

Also, a lot of these programs are in areas with other quality gyms WITHOUT Worlds teams. So at other times, a kid didn't grow up at XYZ, but at a smaller gym in the area known for quality lower level teams but not Worlds teams. Those kids natural sort of "feed" into bigger gyms, and they benefit from that.

Many times, the talent is homegrown. A lot of those programs have been around for SO LONG that the kids on their Worlds teams are (by and large) kids who grew up Y2, Y1, Tiny 1, etc. at those gyms. Sure, kids come in from other places, but there are a lot of Worlds kids who are homegrown Cheer Athletics/CEA/etc. kids.

Also, a lot of these programs are in areas with other quality gyms WITHOUT Worlds teams. So at other times, a kid didn't grow up at XYZ, but at a smaller gym in the area known for quality lower level teams but not Worlds teams. Those kids natural sort of "feed" into bigger gyms, and they benefit from that.
... It was more the "30+ parents that can afford it" part I was referring to. I understand finding a hundred kids with skills - especially nowadays, when it seems level 5 skills are growing on trees.

It's just surprising that they also have parents that can afford to take 4 or more trips that require flights/hotels per year, especially after paying for cheer for 10 years!

I'm surprised that parents travel that much with their senior level 5 athletes. I mean I would understand big comps like NCA and worlds but the rest I would imagine you would entrust the coaches to keep tabs. Back in my days of AS cheer I think my parents attended two comps and that was it.

Another thing: It's one to plan in times of plenty, and another to plan in times of poverty.

Maybe when all these comps were coming out, things were better for more people. Or they had higher hopes of costs and anticipated higher funds available than actually were when the times came. Everyone is all excited for new comps at the start of the season, but when you're in the thick of it and bad weather and stressful travel, THAT'S when it tends to hit you. And maybe now they know that if they want to keep people, it can't go on like this anymore. I've planned for things expecting better checks at work and the like, but then have had a harsh reality when the time comes- like last summer when planning for my film. Work revenue was NOT where it should have been, and I suffered for it.

Having been a child who was told no, I never realized it was because of funds until I got much older (and my parents basically told me how poor we were). I knew we weren't super rich, but my parents started up front by setting the expectations that we don't get everything, that a solid house and home was more important than me and my sister having a Barbie car. My dad used to sing the song 'You can't always get what you want' to me. I knew it pained them a lot that they couldn't give me everything my little heart desired, but I've grown incredibly fiscally resourceful and smart about money. I have a savings, I'm starting to plan for retirement, and I know how to budget myself to not spend beyond my limits. Honestly, I'm in a better position than some people twice my age who never learned those lessons.

I have a question, mainly for the parents footing these bills.

I was never on a team that went to these grand, expensive competitions but my last couple of years we did a lot of competitions. I think my last couple of years the average was 14/15 a season. With around half out of state. So maybe my bill per year was ~$4000? Nothing in the range of some of these top level teams.

So my questions is at what point, if there is one, do you tell your child "listen, if you want to continue to do this, you need to help out because we cannot afford this on our own"? Im not really talking about "help out around the house more", I'm talking about making them fundraise, getting a job, helping financially with the payments. And clearly I'm taking about highschool students unless you wanna blur the lines of the child labor laws.

Fortunately, both of the gyms I cheered at had concession stands at the local university sports stadium and minor league baseball stadium that you could work as fundraising. In a way it was basically a job and instead of the paycheck going to you, it goes straight to your account at the gym via the booster club. I started working games when I was 14 (even if the age was 16 and older) because my parents made it clear that I needed to help out. My last two years I worked enough to pay for almost all of the money that went to the gym. Tuition, gym fees, competition fees, uniform, event shirts, make-up, whatever. My parents paid for travel and that's it.

I don't see why the older kids can't help out with these outrageous expenses. I know how busy it gets, I was on two teams, did tumbling classes, stayed on honor roll and payed for my cheer, but it's possible. If it's something the kids want to do, they should help with the expenses as best they can. And if it's something the kids are super invested in, they will find a way to make it all work. Why should the responsibility be placed solely on the parents?

I'm interested in people's opinions, go!

I was never on a team that went to these grand, expensive competitions but my last couple of years we did a lot of competitions. I think my last couple of years the average was 14/15 a season. With around half out of state. So maybe my bill per year was ~$4000? Nothing in the range of some of these top level teams.

So my questions is at what point, if there is one, do you tell your child "listen, if you want to continue to do this, you need to help out because we cannot afford this on our own"? Im not really talking about "help out around the house more", I'm talking about making them fundraise, getting a job, helping financially with the payments. And clearly I'm taking about highschool students unless you wanna blur the lines of the child labor laws.

Fortunately, both of the gyms I cheered at had concession stands at the local university sports stadium and minor league baseball stadium that you could work as fundraising. In a way it was basically a job and instead of the paycheck going to you, it goes straight to your account at the gym via the booster club. I started working games when I was 14 (even if the age was 16 and older) because my parents made it clear that I needed to help out. My last two years I worked enough to pay for almost all of the money that went to the gym. Tuition, gym fees, competition fees, uniform, event shirts, make-up, whatever. My parents paid for travel and that's it.

I don't see why the older kids can't help out with these outrageous expenses. I know how busy it gets, I was on two teams, did tumbling classes, stayed on honor roll and payed for my cheer, but it's possible. If it's something the kids want to do, they should help with the expenses as best they can. And if it's something the kids are super invested in, they will find a way to make it all work. Why should the responsibility be placed solely on the parents?

My Cp is going to be 14 in a few months and I've told her when she is old enough to help out, I would like her to. She wants to work at her gym during the summer (summer camps) when she is old enough to help raise $ for tuition, she is a very sweet kid and knows the sacrifices that we have made as a family to pay for cheer so she wants to help out. She helps out now with fundraising, she goes to my hubby's work and sells chocolate or whatever fundraiser they gym is havjng, I personally don't see anything wrong with it;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I feel that even if your family can afford it by getting a part time job it really shows commitment to your activity as you are taking it seriously. I used to horse ride from the age of 15-17 my mum payed for a lesson every week and in the holidays privates too when I was 17 my mum said I can't keep paying every week so I got a job 10 hours a week with school and I paid for most thing my self it has made me appreciate the expense.

Now for cheer im completely self funded by choice, due to travel my mum sometimes drives the 1 1/2 trip but I always pay for gas. My parents support me and help me a lot but it feels good to payy for it also me being cynical if I have an issue about cheer its my choice what to do

Latest posts

Back