All-Star D2 Summit Opinions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 28, 2015
So being at a couple competitions so far and I've noticed that some 'large' gyms are getting bids to the D2 summit. Gyms that their main location qualifies for D1 but they have smaller gyms across the state that are D2. i know USASF qualifies D2 gyms by the number of atheletes enrolled in the gym...not by the number of athletes in the whole program...anyone else have an opinion on this?? Some people are upset and some people could care less. I just wonder if this is going to end up like how everyone thought it would

Last edited:
Satellite locations may not have the same resources as the main location, especially in franchise situations. I don't have a problem with it as long as the athletes aren't shared between locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't count the boys? I'm not so sure that the spinoff locations do get the same resources as the main locations. Do they share coaches or athletes?

I think it depends on the gym? Example: CA Charlotte is probably not sharing coaches with Plano/Frisco/Austin.

Just because a gym is affiliated with a larger parent company, it doesn't mean that it has the same resources as the larger locations. As mentioned by several posters before me, as long as they aren't sharing coaches and athletes, then I think it's completely fair!

I think if you share a gym name, you should be considered one gym. However per USASF rules I believe they go by tax id# to determine if a gym is a separate entity. I could be wrong on that, so if someone knows better please correct me.

I think it depends on the gym? Example: CA Charlotte is probably not sharing coaches with Plano/Frisco/Austin.

I'm pretty sure CA Charlotte is already WELL over 125 athletes so a moot point for that example! ;)
I did see a new location of a well-known gym accept a couple of D2 Summit bids this weekend. I was a little surprised...the new location is probably 3.5 hours away from the main gym. Of course, I have idea how the ownership of the new gym is structured, etc. It just seemed a tiny bit not in keeping with what I imagine the intent of the D2 Summit was....big, successful gyms have an advantage just by the name alone, both in recruiting athletes and in a slight intimidation factor? (Intimidation isn't really the right word, but you know what I mean!)

They don't count the boys? I'm not so sure that the spinoff locations do get the same resources as the main locations. Do they share coaches or athletes?
Whoops forgot to write boys too. What I meant by resources is they get music...choreographers...and I do know in some cases some coaches will leave the main location and just to coach at the new one. So they aren't necessarily sharing coaches but I don't know...just seems like a sticky situation to me. I just brought it up because I was at a past competition this weekend and the two main gyms that got the bids to D2 was Rockstar and ACX. Obviously not exactly the same as their "parent" gyms but they were steps above a typical small gyms.

I'm pretty sure CA Charlotte is already WELL over 125 athletes so a moot point for that example! ;)
I did see a new location of a well-known gym accept a couple of D2 Summit bids this weekend. I was a little surprised...the new location is probably 3.5 hours away from the main gym. Of course, I have idea how the ownership of the new gym is structured, etc. It just seemed a tiny bit not in keeping with what I imagine the intent of the D2 Summit was....big, successful gyms have an advantage just by the name alone, both in recruiting athletes and in a slight intimidation factor? (Intimidation isn't really the right word, but you know what I mean!)
That's what I was thinking...just not how I imagined the intent of D2. I coach at a first year gym and its obvious the difference of these smaller satalliete gyms and 'true' small gyms. But we will see how this whole D2 thing will continue!

eh to be honest .. it doesn't really bother me .. at first it did .. but it seems like for the most part from what i've seen.. usually the smaller gyms are better than the "satellite gyms" or other locations if they are still small.

Only way it would bother me is if the larger D1 location sent in 5 ringer atheletes to perform on the D2 team from the smaller location only at that comp for the purposes of getting the bid. I think I've read somewhere on here that this sometimes happens w/ these buy out situations so that the main gym can boast about how many different teams they have from all over the country w/ bids.

Whoops forgot to write boys too. What I meant by resources is they get music...choreographers...and I do know in some cases some coaches will leave the main location and just to coach at the new one. So they aren't necessarily sharing coaches but I don't know...just seems like a sticky situation to me. I just brought it up because I was at a past competition this weekend and the two main gyms that got the bids to D2 was Rockstar and ACX. Obviously not exactly the same as their "parent" gyms but they were steps above a typical small gyms.
I can confirm that the new ACX Twisters location does not share athletes or coaching staff. They share an owner and that's about where it ends. Technically it was considered a merger of ACX and Tumble Tree Twisters, performing under the new name of ACX Twisters. (I'm no longer affiliated with the gym but this merger took place when I was)

I see what you mean and how it could come across as questionable. But I agree that as long as athletes and coaches aren't shared (and they abide by the USASF Tax ID policy) the gyms should be able to accept the bids their numbers qualify them for.

The gym I cheered at my senior year was a second gym of a large one. While the main owner would come 2-3 times a month to our practice, thats where it ended, except at one competition. One of the girls on my team ended up having an allergic reaction to something in her eyes, and basically had to wear sunglasses all day and was not able to compete. We ended up getting a girl from the main gym to fill in for one day.

Back