All-Star D2 Summit Opinions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A random question and sorry for my ignorance here. How many summit and d2 summit bids are being handed out vs the number of teams there are in the nation? Just curious as to what portion get bids rather that's paid, at large, or wildcard. Maybe I'm ignorant here, which is a possibility, but it seems like almost every ends up with a bid if they want one.

A random question and sorry for my ignorance here. How many summit and d2 summit bids are being handed out vs the number of teams there are in the nation? Just curious as to what portion get bids rather that's paid, at large, or wildcard. Maybe I'm ignorant here, which is a possibility, but it seems like almost every ends up with a bid if they want one.
The first couple of years it was harder to get a summit bid than a worlds bid. Last year they added the wildcard bids and now this year the D2 bids. Looking at some big comps it seems like the # of regular summit (paid and at large) bids being given out is actually down a bit. Feels like there are more opportunities but I still don't think they are that easy to come by depending upon the area and your competition

I'm pretty sure CA Charlotte is already WELL over 125 athletes so a moot point for that example! ;)
I did see a new location of a well-known gym accept a couple of D2 Summit bids this weekend. I was a little surprised...the new location is probably 3.5 hours away from the main gym. Of course, I have idea how the ownership of the new gym is structured, etc. It just seemed a tiny bit not in keeping with what I imagine the intent of the D2 Summit was....big, successful gyms have an advantage just by the name alone, both in recruiting athletes and in a slight intimidation factor? (Intimidation isn't really the right word, but you know what I mean!)
a little side vent- not really about d2 summit bids but something u said really jumped out at me-
I don't see big name gyms having an advantage over regular non big name gyms when it comes to summit bids. Also just because they have a big name with thousands of kids definitely doesn't mean they are successful, and not when it comes to lower levels at least. People don't care if their kids team sucks if they think one day they can be on that worlds team. (Yes I know it's not all about winning but people stay in situations and aren't happy thinking it helps their 10 yr old Susie maybe one day be on that worlds team)
Besides its obvious some people just go there for the name some of them actually aren't better. I don't think they have an advantage in any bid situation besides maybe worlds where they are actually usually better..

Competitions want to give bids to teams that can win, that way it represents their competition well. They can then tweet and post congrats to the winning team for getting their bid there. I think competitions are doing what's in their best interest. If we do lose for whatever reason I never have thought oh we lost because so and so has a big name, I just think oh we lost because our kids weren't the best today.

If a big name gym has a satellite location that's able to compete small gym then more power to them. But even then the most unknown teams can have more resources or be better than them.

We are at a gym that use to not be considered large gym, and honestly I would of not been happy if they would of competed small gym. I also don't recall comps really being separated small gym/ large gym until the last 3 or so seasons. The first couple seasons we cheered I never went to a comp that separated that and we were in fact small gym then. I feel like small gym divisions were created so more people could feel like winners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really understand how they determine small and large gyms when it comes to gyms with multiple locations. I thought the new rule was, in addition to number of athletes, the gym could only have one physical address. This makes it sound like satellite locations would count as second addresses.

I don't really understand how they determine small and large gyms when it comes to gyms with multiple locations. I thought the new rule was, in addition to number of athletes, the gym could only have one physical address. This makes it sound like satellite locations would count as second addresses.
If they have a separate tax ID, they are legally a separate business.

If they have a separate tax ID, they are legally a separate business.
Maybe you can help me understand here...but if a cheer gym decides to expand whats the point in being counted as a separate business? If everything is different between the gyms...except for having the same name what was the point in expanding then?

Maybe you can help me understand here...but if a cheer gym decides to expand whats the point in being counted as a separate business? If everything is different between the gyms...except for having the same name what was the point in expanding then?
Think McDonald's...Franchise. The new location is run separately but benefits from having the known name (which will attract more customers) and industry contacts. For that "benefit" they pay a "fee".

Satellite gyms pay a certain percentage of profits to the home gym.

just to clarify for those out there, because of the tax ID each gym is their own. HOWEVER, as soon as 1 athlete is shared between 2 gyms, then both of their numbers are combined likely to become large.

Examples. No Name Allstars has 3 gyms competing at NCA, all 3 gyms have 75 athletes. they are all small. if No Name Allstars A has an injury or crosses over someone from NO Name Allstars B, No Name Allstars A and B are considered large gym with 150 athletes while No Name Allstars C is still small. i hope that makes sense.

just to clarify for those out there, because of the tax ID each gym is their own. HOWEVER, as soon as 1 athlete is shared between 2 gyms, then both of their numbers are combined likely to become large.

Examples. No Name Allstars has 3 gyms competing at NCA, all 3 gyms have 75 athletes. they are all small. if No Name Allstars A has an injury or crosses over someone from NO Name Allstars B, No Name Allstars A and B are considered large gym with 150 athletes while No Name Allstars C is still small. i hope that makes sense.
How is that even tracked? Are athletes presenting identification before taking the floor? And if gyms have separate tax ID#s and are thus separate entities...how is it any different than an athlete from say cheer athletics crossing over to fill in at woodlands elite? In the case of a true separate tax ID...the businesses should be as separate as those that don't share a name.

How is that even tracked? Are athletes presenting identification before taking the floor? And if gyms have separate tax ID#s and are thus separate entities...how is it any different than an athlete from say cheer athletics crossing over to fill in at woodlands elite? In the case of a true separate tax ID...the businesses should be as separate as those that don't share a name.

The rules specify that each athlete may only compete with one gym. But I believe that is the rule for both Summit and D2. So Gym A and Gym B with the same name but separate tax ID's technically should not be allowed to share athletes at either Summit. If they share athletes at D2, both gyms will be considered one and the athletes from both the gyms will be added together in order to get the total athlete count. But this shouldn't be allowed even if both gyms combined have 125 of less athletes. If taxpayer ID determines whether they are considered two separate gyms, then they can't share athletes. This should be the same for the Summit.

Of course, this is very difficult to track.

I think it most likely goes against the intent of D2 Summit, but I don't have a personal opinion on it yet. None of the big name gyms around us are D2, even the satellite locations have 125+.

Back