All-Star D2 Summit Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can't think of what way you'd be taking from TIA to TCC that involves tolls. That's really weird... As soon as you exit TIA (no matter which way you go) the closest toll road is the Veterans which heads north and is still avoidable if you're going north. To get to the convention center, you'll head towards 275, which is not a toll. I just googled it and it's a 16 minutes drive without traffic.

I'm not 100% sure since I wasn't the driver, but it could have been a GPS/User error issue.

The Summit D2 may or may not have been a good idea, but the convention center is just not a convenient place for that amount of people. I feel bad for anyone who doesn't pack a cooler and expects to eat while they're there.
I wonder if they'll have concessions. And thanks for this. It's good to know that we should be bringing coolers. :)

I wonder if they'll have concessions. And thanks for this. It's good to know that we should be bringing coolers. :)

That would be a good question for gym owners to figure out. At our first competition there all they had was a sidewalk cart Dip n Dots. For our second competition there they had a sidewalk cart that offered drinks, popcorn, pretzels and I think hot dogs maybe. But that was it. There is a food court on the first level, but I think it's only sandwiches and was only open for 1 of the 2 comps we went to.

ETA: There is a Bar & Grill right outside, but at our last competition they were so understaffed nearly half of the people there didn't actually get food. The Embassy has a Starbucks and a restaurant (not sure on hours) and it's only a walk across the street. There are a few other nice hotels in the area, walking distance, and I'm sure they all have places to eat as well (Marriott and the Westin stick out to me from memory). But everything else is gonna be downtown shops; no big chains or places like that.

Will traffic be horrible on the weekend also?

Traffic in Tampa is kinda always bad.

Last edited:
Tampa is an amazing city, one we almost decided to move to, but why on Earth they put the D2 Summit there is a mystery to me. It's not build for this type of competition, imo (and something I said when it first got brought up) and will likely cost as much as the Summit in Disney. They should have done it a weekend apart. Disney and Orlando are expensive places to compete at, but at least they're prepared for the transportation and lodging issues, Tampa? Not so much.

I don't understand why both competitions are being held on the same weekend with two hours of distance between them. I understand that, by having them on the same weekend, they may be trying deter less-than-honest gyms from having athletes compete at both competitions (IG Large gym #1 "lending" D1 athletes to their D2 satellite gym). But I think they should have held the D2 Summit in a completely different state, maybe somewhere in the MidWest/Northwest/West Coast. From what I have heard and seen, attending the D2 Summit competition is far more costly than attending the regular Summit. So the choice in venue (if chosen because it was the most cost-effective choice for Varisty) is not cost-effective or travel-efficient for the majority of small gyms that could use the savings the most.

I encourage everyone who is unhappy with the venue and price of this competition to express your dissatisfaction to Varsity at the conclusion of the D2 Summit.

I don't understand why both competitions are being held on the same weekend with two hours of distance between them. I understand that, by having them on the same weekend, they may be trying deter less-than-honest gyms from having athletes compete at both competitions (IG Large gym #1 "lending" D1 athletes to their D2 satellite gym). But I think they should have held the D2 Summit in a completely different state, maybe somewhere in the MidWest/Northwest/West Coast. From what I have heard and seen, attending the D2 Summit competition is far more costly than attending the regular Summit. So the choice in venue (if chosen because it was the most cost-effective choice for Varisty) is not cost-effective or travel-efficient for the majority of small gyms that could use the savings the most.

I encourage everyone who is unhappy with the venue and price of this competition to express your dissatisfaction to Varsity at the conclusion of the D2 Summit.

You would think; if their goal was to deter crossovers, they could have simply established a no crossover whatsoever rule and had it in the same venue. Put Summit at WWOS and D2 at Corondo like they plan on doing the cheer and dance worlds.

Sparta has got nothing on FIerceboard.

You would think; if their goal was to deter crossovers, they could have simply established a no crossover whatsoever rule and had it in the same venue. Put Summit at WWOS and D2 at Corondo like they plan on doing the cheer and dance worlds.

Sparta has got nothing on FIerceboard.

It's interesting to note that the D2 Summit has much more lax crossover rules than the Summit.

The last competition I had there, there was. There is usually dip n dots if I'm remembering correctly and some other smaller stand that I can't remember. But most of the restaurants are a pretty distant walk.

Even without STP, rooms are expensive. Our STP rooms are cheaper than what is offered at the hotel. BUT there's a $100 cancellation fee after today. I don't want to reserve a room until after our last bid competition Saturday...because I need to find a roommate.

And, I agree, Summit is easy and reasonably affordable (if you avoid Disney). My only issue there is the trip to Florida is time-consuming from here. It's cheaper than our competition in Las Vegas, otherwise.

how long have you had your rooms assigned? We've had a bid since Jan and still have NO ideas where we are staying? Moms are kinda freaking out since we are 31 days out!!!

any info would be great... what hotels are you at? when did you get your bids/hotel info?

Our gym was given a block at a hotel 23 minkes and 40 minutes away (I mapped it, I'm not familiar with the area).

The least expensive car I can find (anywhere) is $300 (after tax) for five days.
what hotels are you at? We got our bids early Jan and still don't have our hotel info!!!! Kinda freaking out to not have ANY plans!!!

what hotels are you at? We got our bids early Jan and still don't have our hotel info!!!! Kinda freaking out to not have ANY plans!!!

The Residence Inn Oldsmar...but they don't even have rooms for the entire time we need them. [emoji849] And two additional teams got bids yesterday, so...

how long have you had your rooms assigned? We've had a bid since Jan and still have NO ideas where we are staying? Moms are kinda freaking out since we are 31 days out!!!

any info would be great... what hotels are you at? when did you get your bids/hotel info?
I would probably have your gym follow up. We got a bid a few weeks ago and have our room blocks. Our two small teams are spread out over four hotels, but we have rooms.

Better hope that the Tampa Bay lightning don't have any playoff games the weekend of D2 summit. Downtown is terrible when there are hockey games.

Back