OT Dance (Not cheer) Questions!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 26, 2010
For my school magazine I'm writing about dance and how its taken off in the UK due to Strictly Come Dancing, SYTYCD and Got to dance.
Can everyone answer these questions just as a bit of research?

1.) Why do you dance?
2.) How did you get into dance?
3.) Do you think it's important to dance from a young age?
4.) How do you think dance has taken off in the UK?
5.) Is this a good thing?
6.) Is there any misconseptions about dance that you would like to squash?
7.) What do you want/expect dance to grow to in the next few years?

Thanks<3 xxx

1) Basically because I enjoy it.
2) Through cheerleading. When I was on my school cheer team the coach was on a pom team at a dance studio and I joined the younger pom team from the same studio, but then I quit both teams and joined my current allstar team. After a few years of just doing cheer my gym started hip hop classes and now I'm on the senior hip hop team and senior coed level 2 cheer team.
3) IMO not unless you want to dance professionally as a career or something. I did ballet from age 4 until I was about 6 and I HATED it, then I joined a pom team when I was 13 and stopped when I was 14 because we kept not entering competitions (one of main reasons I joined in the first place) but that doesn't stop me from dancing on a hip hop team.
4) I think dance has taken off because of the TV programmes you mentioned and films such as the 'Step Up' series and 'Street Dance 3D'. Also more and more dancers are entering Britains Got Talent and making the live semi-finals and Diversity won one of the series and have been massively successful so I think more parents want to put their kids into dance because there are lots of positive role models, its fun and its also exercise.
5) I think this is a good thing because we will see more talented dancers coming out of the woodwork and also it's a good form of exercise (as I mentioned above).
6) I think there is a stereotype that all dancers are slim pretty girls so I'd like to see people of all body types and more boys taking dance classes.
7) I think dance will carry on growing because it has such a good reputation and good media representation so I think it appeals to parents to put their kids into dance lessons.

I'm sorry if my answers don't make sense, I just got home from practise and I'm really tired!

I was going to my daughter answer -- but we are from the US -- not the UK so not really sure you still want her answers...but she has been in studio and all-star dance (now h/s dance) for over 8 years.

Well I'm sure dance has grown in the US too, I could really use more answers, so if she's happy to do it please let her:D! x

Back