High School Different Squads Competition Vs Sideline

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In the past there was just one tryout in June (some schools even earlier in the May) for JV and Varsity. Some schools practiced all through the summer, others like ours followed the fall sports schedule and started 2 weeks before school began.

Now that cheer is a sport in NYS a second set of tryouts had to be held in November for the winter sport season. Two girls were added to varsity (one being my cp) and one to JV. I believe one girl who also does all star did not come back to varsity. Not sure if two tryouts are going to be held every season now but they might be.

In high school we had the first round of tryouts for Jv/Varsity (and freshmen if there was a big enough divide/interest) at the end of April. Then if you made it through that, there was a month of practices used to evaluate stunting, tumbling consistency, attitude, and who meshed well together. At the end of the month it was divided into Jv and Varsity, I don't believe anybody was ever cut after the second round but it was possible. Then there were summer practices for camp and then the regionals competition in August (it's now in July) and then there was a break until school started. Then there was a second tryout for JV only, you couldn't tryout for Varsity in the fall as Varsity was year round even if you weren't on the mat for regionals/state. The process seemed to work really well (for us anyway).

Eta: I forgot that they do UCA regionals and Nationals now as well too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Our HS has Spring try-outs for V and JV Football sideline and competition. If you make Varsity you are Varsity competition. They hold another try-out for Basketball in the late Fall. Our HS competition season is over by Thanksgiving. This allows the athletes to participate in other school sports and/or all star. The program has had great success!!

Our HS has Spring try-outs for V and JV Football sideline and competition. If you make Varsity you are Varsity competition. They hold another try-out for Basketball in the late Fall. Our HS competition season is over by Thanksgiving. This allows the athletes to participate in other school sports and/or all star. The program has had great success!!
Wish our competition season was over by Thanksgiving, it would make things so much easier. Ours runs December - mid February. Wreaks havoc on all star season.

@CheerBank I can't even imagine! CP hasn't done HS cheer yet. This Spring will be the first time she is eligible. I have been thinking about the HS practices and comps with All Star practices in the Fall and cringing. Hats off to you and your CP! That HS comp schedule during All Star comp time may send me over the cheer edge.

@CheerBank I can't even imagine! CP hasn't done HS cheer yet. This Spring will be the first time she is eligible. I have been thinking about the HS practices and comps with All Star practices in the Fall and cringing. Hats off to you and your CP! That HS comp schedule during All Star comp time may send me over the cheer edge.
Our gym is actually very good about not scheduling comps during the HS season which is both good and bad. Good because we have minimal conflicts - there have been girls from another all star gym who missed the first HS comp because they were at an all star comp in early December - but bad because our all star season is essentially crazy in March and April. Most of cp's senior team are on their respective high school teams and it is very cute when they all take pictures together in their school uniforms at high school comps.

Our gym is actually very good about not scheduling comps during the HS season which is both good and bad. Good because we have minimal conflicts - there have been girls from another all star gym who missed the first HS comp because they were at an all star comp in early December - but bad because our all star season is essentially crazy in March and April. Most of cp's senior team are on their respective high school teams and it is very cute when they all take pictures together in their school uniforms at high school comps.

Yes we love that too!!! I love the friendships they make and how they support each other regardless of their HS team.

I'm a NYS Varsity coach.

In my program I have Varsity, JV and Modified (middle school). All three teams compete and cheer at games. The JV coach and I have thrown around the idea of having a competition-only team, but it's really based on how much interest you would have for comp and sideline. In our case, we average a squad of 12-15 on each level. If we developed a new team, we would have low numbers for Varsity and JV and there would be maybe 5-8 girls cheering at games. Now that cheerleading is a sport, my athletic director allows me to be more strict about qualifications to make a team, especially varsity.

My district and a good majority of the surrounding districts in our section have always had to hold 2 separate tryouts. One for Fall and one for Winter (even when I cheered.. I graduated in 2008). We have always held tryouts in May for Fall cheer but now since we are a sport, we can't have anything mandatory or organized until the start date of fall sports (end of August). That is going to make fundraising for camp and getting those payments in an absolute nightmare.. But that is an entirely different topic.

Good luck! You will figure it all out.

I'm a NYS Varsity coach.

In my program I have Varsity, JV and Modified (middle school). All three teams compete and cheer at games. The JV coach and I have thrown around the idea of having a competition-only team, but it's really based on how much interest you would have for comp and sideline. In our case, we average a squad of 12-15 on each level. If we developed a new team, we would have low numbers for Varsity and JV and there would be maybe 5-8 girls cheering at games. Now that cheerleading is a sport, my athletic director allows me to be more strict about qualifications to make a team, especially varsity.

My district and a good majority of the surrounding districts in our section have always had to hold 2 separate tryouts. One for Fall and one for Winter (even when I cheered.. I graduated in 2008). We have always held tryouts in May for Fall cheer but now since we are a sport, we can't have anything mandatory or organized until the start date of fall sports (end of August). That is going to make fundraising for camp and getting those payments in an absolute nightmare.. But that is an entirely different topic.

I can't imagine how uniform ordering will be for you guys, yikes!

Also being from Illinois, I understand your situation. One thing to keep in mind is that IHSA is looking at moving competitions up to be during the fall since Basketball season is so demanding as it is. If they do move them up, with competitions starting in August, then I would say two tryouts would work but could get complicated. I'd say have a tryout for football only and then one for competition at the same time in the spring. Then have a second tryout in the fall for basketball season.
That ruling was denied, the competition season will remain the same. Thank goodness, in my book

I feel your pain, Im against separate tryouts, but its something I am being forced to consider this year. My AD is awesome and lets me do things my own way whne it comes to qualifications. We are a small school, less than 400 high school and jus don't have the bodies for two separate squds but they aren't seeing that.....
I'm a NYS Varsity coach.

Our cheerleaders aren't allowed to compete both All star and high school, IHSA makes them choose....

That ruling was denied, the competition season will remain the same. Thank goodness, in my book

I agree. I was just thinking "how do smaller schools do it, they have girls involved in volleyball during that time."

With that being said, I would have them tryout at the same time (in the spring). Give each squad a dvd of the required sidelines to learn over the summer (frees up practice time) and then set a date of at least 3-4 weeks before basketball starts for the new team to come in and start working together. As for competition, have the girls mark on an application if they want to be consider for football cheer, basketball cheer, both, and competitive. It will make tallying scores more complicated, but some girls may only want to do sideline cheer and others may want to do sideline cheer for both and competitive.
wheeww....never thought I would say, thank goodness we don't have football. lol

I'm a NYS Varsity coach.

I've heard that after this season there will not be any out of state camps or comps allowed. You may not even be allowed to "officially" attend a camp in-state since it technically takes place before the fall season starts.

Do the people making these rules even understand that the cheer season is supposed to last for most of the year? I mean, how else can a team improve and maintain that improvement?

Do the people making these rules even understand that the cheer season is supposed to last for most of the year? I mean, how else can a team improve and maintain that improvement?
Seems like they're planning on treating it like every other sport with its own season, each independent of the other. Not sure how much they will tweak things as they go along.

I'm very curious to see if schools will still be allowed to charge admission for competitions. We don't get charged to attend a football or basketball game held at a school, so why cheer if its now a sport?

Back