High School Different Team Reveals...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think no matter how you try to announce a team, those who didn't make it will be upset and eventually everyone will know who made it and who didn't.

I think most would still rather find out in private, so they can cry it out without everyone there. Obviously everyone will find out who made it, but it's not like they'd cry forever. Just that little bit of time to compose yourself before facing everyone would be nice.

But if it works for you, great. I was just pointing out a different side so that people reading the thread might put some thought into whether or not this would be a good idea for them.

I'm glad to see there are still some sports in the world making cuts though! Around here, if you try out for a team, you will be put on a team. Makes for some fairly NOT competitive teams! I think varsity soccer and volleyball are the only 2 sports making cuts here.

Our cheer team originally planned on having a no-cut JV, but ended up with far more kids trying out than they expected. It was announced at the beginning of tryouts that cuts would be made. They ended up with 16 on varsity and 20 on JV.

We keep it simple. List is posted on our website the following day, after school so everyone finds out in private. I really can't see a better way for those that don't make it... Private!

The first tryout I ever judged out of high school, I was assigned the job to post the list on the door, while they all left out the back. I was about trampled by girls and moms trying to see the list I was taping up. At that moment I decided that was the worst way ever to post!

In college there was a number we could call to listen to the list of names. Not a bad system, but it would take a few calls to get in because everyone was trying to do it at the same time.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see there are still some sports in the world making cuts though! Around here, if you try out for a team, you will be put on a team. Makes for some fairly NOT competitive teams! I think varsity soccer and volleyball are the only 2 sports making cuts here.

In terms of non-all star cheer options around here, we only have two or so programs that are completely no-cut for all age levels (rec and YMCA cheer come to mind.) Pop Warner cheer in the area is no-cut up until age 7-8. After that, there is a tryout.

I know it is common, but I am still rather perplexed re: the concept of making a Varsity competitive team based on your GRADE. Or HAVING to be on JV because of your grade in school.

Ex: There are schools where EVERY Senior (regardless of skill) makes Varsity comp and every freshman HAS to be on JV.

I'm a huge proponent of making JV and Varsity selections based on a tryout and skills, especially if your Varsity is your competitive team.

Freshman year, the girls were given a letter in a sealed envelope. My daughter was in 8th grade then. They were all called to the principal's office when the last bell rang - and told to only open the envelope when they leave the school. Sophomore and junior year, they were given tryout numbers and they posted the numbers in front of the school around 5 pm the day of tryouts. This year was a bit different. Right after tryouts, we had 5 girls going to WSA Competition in New Orleans and they were not able to see their numbers posted. Of course, thanks to the wonders of Social Media - they know they all made it to Varsity when we stopped for dinner at Baton Rouge.

In terms of non-all star cheer options around here, we only have two or so programs that are completely no-cut for all age levels (rec and YMCA cheer come to mind.) Pop Warner cheer in the area is no-cut up until age 7-8. After that, there is a tryout.

I know it is common, but I am still rather perplexed re: the concept of making a Varsity competitive team based on your GRADE. Or HAVING to be on JV because of your grade in school.

Ex: There are schools where EVERY Senior (regardless of skill) makes Varsity comp and every freshman HAS to be on JV.

I'm a huge proponent of making JV and Varsity selections based on a tryout and skills, especially if your Varsity is your competitive team.
Rival school around here does it that way. Freshman have to be on Freshman. Soph, Jr & Sr can only make varsity. Skill not factored in. The middle school that feeds to them also only lets 7th and 8th graders cheer, no 6th graders allowed. I just don't understand! I want the best team possible, grade does not matter, seniority does not matter. It's no surprise that neither of these schools are very good.

My sophomore year and prior to that (so 2009), freshman were only allowed to be on the freshman squad. This rule was district wide for all sports unless you were truly an exceptional athlete (very few exceptions were ever made). This was because due to space limitations, our 9th grade was in the Junior High with the 8th graders and had a different schedule than the high school did as far as time went. My junior year our second high school was built (but freshmen were still in the junior highs) so they decided to allow freshman on Jv/Varsity teams. It kind of sucked because we had to push back our practice times because the junior high got out later than we did.

Freshman were integrated into the high schools for the 2013-2014 school year so I'm not sure how they do teams now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is interesting! I'd like to get more creative with this. When I cheered, we had tryout numbers and those numbers were posted on a paper outside of our athletic office. I've continued to do that. It's private and less embarrassing for those who are cut.

There are a lot of schools like that around here (Most actually). When the old coach decided to open varsity to sophmores it was a HUGE DEAL. I decided to open it to freshman and everyone was kind of upset that I have 3 freshman on varsity and 5 seniors on jv.... Even though my 3 freshman are rock star tumblers and the 5 seniors have never cheered a day in their lives. They got over it though.

Your school must have a huge athletic budget...
I'm not sure about athletic budget... all coaching fees are built into the kids "donations" because coaches aren't paid by the district. We do have a large-ish activities budget and because cheer and dance technically aren't sports we're supported by that some.

Cheer has a office/hang out/lounge room that decent in size...but in terms of practice space we use the field, one of the gyms (we have 2), the wrestling room, or wherever there is space really (we kind of got the short end of the stick).

Rival school around here does it that way. Freshman have to be on Freshman. Soph, Jr & Sr can only make varsity. Skill not factored in. The middle school that feeds to them also only lets 7th and 8th graders cheer, no 6th graders allowed. I just don't understand! I want the best team possible, grade does not matter, seniority does not matter. It's no surprise that neither of these schools are very good.

This is how CP's school does things - and it's not just cheer, but all sports. You can be the next lebron James, but you are not playing on varsity until 10th grade. There is a skill-based distinction between JV and Varsity in grades 10-12 though - so a really good 10th grader could go right to varsity, and a less skilled senior could be on JV, but both of these situations are rare.

I heard these rules were a per the regional athletic league that many local schools compete in, not CP's school district itself.

This is how CP's school does things - and it's not just cheer, but all sports. You can be the next lebron James, but you are not playing on varsity until 10th grade. There is a skill-based distinction between JV and Varsity in grades 10-12 though - so a really good 10th grader could go right to varsity, and a less skilled senior could be on JV, but both of these situations are rare.

I heard these rules were a per the regional athletic league that many local schools compete in, not CP's school district itself.
I think if its school wide, then that's fine. I still don't like it that way, but as long as every sport has to follow that same dumb rule, then ok. The rival school here though only makes cheerleading do this. No other sport in the entire school has to follow that rule. Their reasoning years ago was because that's how its always been done. :cow:

Your school must have a huge athletic budget...

My HS is close to 15 years old now, but when I was there it was practically brand new and was build with a dance studio room, ballet bar, mirrors, and the whole nine yards. The idea was that the dancer's, like band, could use the room during an elective so they could practice during and after school.

Back