Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
Has anyone heard of this law?

I think so if you're thinking of the one that permits business owners to refuse service based on religious views. So opponents of the law are concerned about the discrimination that can occur against the LGBT community.
I believe a law like this went through the Arizona state legislature but was vetoed by the governor a few years ago?

I discussed this with a few parents the other day. It could be a non-issue, but it could also be very detrimental since it seems there is a lot of leeway to refuse service. I guess I don't see major hotel and restaurant chains refusing service, so I am not sure it would affect a major competition such as Majors/Jamfest Nationals, but it will be interesting to see if the EP decides to continue to use the same location.

There are a lot of gay people in the cheer industry who may not want to go to Indiana. I'm sure large corporations like hotel chains and chain restaurants won't participate in discrimination, and certainly not cheer vendors, but why would anyone want to be in that situation if it should arise?

I discussed this with a few parents the other day. It could be a non-issue, but it could also be very detrimental since it seems there is a lot of leeway to refuse service. I guess I don't see major hotel and restaurant chains refusing service, so I am not sure it would affect a major competition such as Majors/Jamfest Nationals, but it will be interesting to see if the EP decides to continue to use the same location.

Looks like Indiana might've just regressed 50 years.

You're right, it looks to be a waiting game to see how this is handled by the people. The optimist in me hopes that people will realize that this isn't 1950 and we really shouldn't be discriminating against anyone when providing a service. The pessimist in me realizes that not everyone thinks that way.

As for big events like Indy, if I were amongst a group that was denied service because of who I was and my gym asked me to go to that comp, I would feel very uneasy. I wonder if gyms will start boycotting Indy. Especially since members of the LGBT could easily be denied service under those laws and the cheer community has many, many, many LGBT members. If enough teams did boycott, I could see Jamfest moving the venue to a different state.

Not going to lie, I'd have issues making signs or t-shirts for Westboro Baptist or the KKK. It makes me sad because on one hand you have organizations or individuals that are spreading hate of which I would not want to serve, and on the other, you have individuals that just want to love another individual. Our laws, unfortunately, don't allow for common sense. Case and point the woman who had her fetus cut out of her womb and the individual won't be charged with murder because, in the state of Colorado, abortions are allowed up until 26 weeks because it is considered a zygote up until that time.

Very few states have sexual orientation as a protected class. So I'm honestly not sure what exactly this law does that wasn't allowed before?

I don't support it, but it seems like a bunch of law makers putting into legislature something that was already allowed anyway.

Did any of you that commented actually read the law?? already calling for boycotts and a Jim Crow comment??
Indiana didn’t actually pass an anti-gay bill - MarketWatch

sometimes facts help!
Since I responded I will assume you are including me in your response. Yes, I read the law - and my post said it could be a non-issue. However, just with any such law, it gives the possibility of problems and is something that we should all be aware of.

Did any of you that commented actually read the law?? already calling for boycotts and a Jim Crow comment??
Indiana didn’t actually pass an anti-gay bill - MarketWatch

sometimes facts help!

.... Yes I did read an article much like the one you posted. I don't think this is an anti- gay rights bill, that was solely my example. Cheer is a very diverse community, many people could be affected by this law. You could easily replace "gay" with "black", "Muslim", "Jewish", "women in shorts and a tank top" and pertain it to this law. I don't know what to think about the "actual reason for discrimination" part of the law, you could argue anything is grounds for discrimination. So was talk about boycotting reasonable? I think so. Maybe a tad extreme, but reasonable.

.... Yes I did read an article much like the one you posted. I don't think this is an anti- gay rights bill, that was solely my example. Cheer is a very diverse community, many people could be affected by this law. You could easily replace "gay" with "black", "Muslim", "Jewish", "women in shorts and a tank top" and pertain it to this law. I don't know what to think about the "actual reason for discrimination" part of the law, you could argue anything is grounds for discrimination. So was talk about boycotting reasonable? I think so. Maybe a tad extreme, but reasonable.

Common sense tells me this law actually is a big deal. Why would all these companies and organizations go to all this trouble to ban / boycott / pull out of Indiana?

I've heard it; Arkansas is also considering a similar law, but being truthful, 19 states have similar laws on the books as well.

I personally am not for these types of laws; religious freedom in this country is out of control, imo, when the fundamentals of our country prohibit religious laws because the Constitution was written specifically and clearly in a way that doesn't allow it.

Back