All-Star Discuss Your Usasf Struggles Here

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just thinking about this again (and killing time from a press release I should be writing) but knowing the conditions that kids were expected to perform, and the money that was being made through sales because of these kids...how is this any different than having to abide by child labour laws? Child actors have set legislation that directors and film crews need to abide by, how are the same standard not applied to minor sports and activities where kids are expected to perform and people profit from them? There's got to be a legal loophole here.

What will impact change is for the law makers to get involved, and parents to finally raise their voices.

I can't think of a single minor sport where parents aren't part of the governing body. Parents make up the boards of the sports in our area (and sports are big here, especially hockey). Parents and industry leaders make up the governing boards (for regional, provincial and national levels). What's happening here is no different than before child labour laws were implemented or prior to professional athlete's coming up with a players union. Since we're talking about minors, I guess an athlete's union of sorts would fall to the parents for their representation but how hard would it be to get consensus and demand ethical practices? I hate to use the word union but in instances where safety and ethical issues abound, that's the best place for one...to speak for the people and represent them. This is why they were formed decades ago. For the most part they're not needed now, but in cases where things need to change for the better and there's no voice...this could be one avenue to pursue.

Now watch me end up being black balled! lol Sorry, my passion is social injustice and non-profits (also happens to be the industry that I work in). Things like this get the pep in me going.

Just thinking about this again (and killing time from a press release I should be writing) but knowing the conditions that kids were expected to perform, and the money that was being made through sales because of these kids...how is this any different than having to abide by child labour laws? Child actors have set legislation that directors and film crews need to abide by, how are the same standard not applied to minor sports and activities where kids are expected to perform and people profit from them? There's got to be a legal loophole here.

What will impact change is for the law makers to get involved, and parents to finally raise their voices.

I can't think of a single minor sport where parents aren't part of the governing body. Parents make up the boards of the sports in our area (and sports are big here, especially hockey). Parents and industry leaders make up the governing boards (for regional, provincial and national levels). What's happening here is no different than before child labour laws were implemented or prior to professional athlete's coming up with a players union. Since we're talking about minors, I guess an athlete's union of sorts would fall to the parents for their representation but how hard would it be to get consensus and demand ethical practices? I hate to use the word union but in instances where safety and ethical issues abound, that's the best place for one...to speak for the people and represent them. This is why they were formed decades ago. For the most part they're not needed now, but in cases where things need to change for the better and there's no voice...this could be one avenue to pursue.

Now watch me end up being black balled! lol Sorry, my passion is social injustice and non-profits (also happens to be the industry that I work in). Things like this get the pep in me going.

I think my only concern with a parent type board in the governing agency is in how those parents are decided on---for example, is it a free for all and anyone can join or will their be a vote? If a vote, who holds it and who makes sure the SM's of the world---who don't care as long as their baby gets their jacket, ring, banner...whatever---isn't stacking this group of parents?

I think my only concern with a parent type board in the governing agency is in how those parents are decided on---for example, is it a free for all and anyone can join or will their be a vote? If a vote, who holds it and who makes sure the SM's of the world---who don't care as long as their baby gets their jacket, ring, banner...whatever---isn't stacking this group of parents?
There would definitely be kinks to iron out and issues to look at from all angles. I guess I just don't understand why we keep expecting gyms to do something when their proverbial hands are tied. I don't blame them either. Without EP's and events to attend, what's the point of a gym? How do you attract the best you can when there's nothing to aspire which would happen if boycotts happened. So forget going through the gyms and do something else. Think outside the box! We're trying to play it safe but without taking a risk you never achieve anything.

Stop giving our power away and do something with it. It only takes 1 leader to step forward before you get this reaction. Who will be the leader and the lone nut?

I think only real change can come from the parents and from ALL the gyms no matter how big or small is to have cheerleading declared a sport on a national level. That means to start lobbying your local congressman/woman to get this industry regulated. It would be an up hill battle because as someone mentioned Varsity is a billion**$ company and they have huge lobbyist on there side to make sure this never happens. Not only would they look at Varsity with the monopolization of an industry but the safety of it's athletes as well. When an industry fails to protect, or put forth the best interest the very athletes that make them $ there is a huge problem.

Edited by MsTeal to say it's TRILLION

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Ferrari/Pinto analogy. I agree NCA is a class event. However, speaking as a parent, in recent years NCA has been increasingly a turnoff. The cost associated with it especially. Sure I want to be forced to stay in a hotel in Oklahoma and commute in. You know that Ferrari analogy is perfect here ;)

The convention center itself is pretty nice.... except for the arena! When you have 2 out of 3 stalls in a bathroom on Day 1 already not working, there's a problem. The other bathroom had 1 out of 3 already not working. It's gross and it stinks. The arena itself is just, eh.
The halls, though, are big and plenty of room for everyone. They just need to add food trucks or something to give everyone more food availability.

I think only real change can come from the parents and from ALL the gyms no matter how big or small is to have cheerleading declared a sport on a national level. That means to start lobbying your local congressman/woman to get this industry regulated. It would be an up hill battle because as someone mentioned Varsity is a billion**$ company and they have huge lobbyist on there side to make sure this never happens. Not only would they look at Varsity with the monopolization of an industry but the safety of it's athletes as well. When an industry fails to protect, or put forth the best interest the very athletes that make them $ there is a huge problem.

Edited by MsTeal to say it's TRILLION

Varsity actively working to make sure cheer isn't turned into a sport has always made me so mad. We get it, you won't have a monopoly over everything, get over it. It's in the best interest of literally everyone else to get it officially sanctioned as a sport. It genuinely angers me that making money is the #1 priority here, and not doing what's best for the athletes :banghead:

*adds rules & guidelines to ensure athletes safety and well- being*

*completely ignores most rules & guidelines at the biggest competition of the season*

.... thats it. right there. there's my biggest struggle.

I'm the most neutral person when it comes to Large Senior. I love every team. Something stands out to me on each one of those teams and I never declare to be "Team ____" but, the more I think about it, the more LIVID it makes me. I know a sister of a girl on one of the teams and her sisters stunt fell. She said her flyers shoe was soaked and spun right out of her hand (and the more I watch it, the more you can tell it was) It might be my angsty 22 year old self who still hasn't accepted the fact that I've aged out but if I walked onto the floor, noticed it was slippery/wet, I would have probably walked right off the front of the floor to my coaches.

HOW ARE PEOPLE NOT MORE UPSET ABOUT THIS. WHAT IF THE VAULT RUNWAY AT THE OLYMPICS WAS WET? OR THE BEAM WAS WET. It's dangerous, irresponsible, and foolish and every season, more and more events occur that make me question wether I want to stay in this sport, and thats a damn shame.

Last edited:
If anyone was wondering, here's the updated side project. Still unsure about CEA peeps.
dfaa6e8592bdd37993990d6fe33d1e9f.jpg

I haven't slept in 2 days. I cried all day yesterday, for all of them. (The division as a whole). I had myself on a 24 social media ban because I couldn't even discuss it without the strongest curse words I've ever used. (And, I would have been banned). Why? Because they can. Why? Because what's anybody going to do about it? Boycott Worlds? They don't care. They'll just fill the slots with other teams willing to overlook the negligence to be a World Champion, because cheer is big business to gyms whether you're small, medium, large or mega sized and medaling is good for business.

Question is, will USASF be able to even sell out the Milkhouse, much less both level's of the ball field, without the premier teams who drive their fan base to spend obscene amounts of $$$ to see their favorites?
This hurts my heart. Shame on USASF. I can't even put into words how sad and angry this situation makes me. There was negligence on behalf of USASF in so many ways that night. There is a reason why I cross out and initial every release form that has negligence built into it, but no athlete, parent or coach should ever have to be put into these types of situations to even have to worry about negligence.
With that said, the teams who won deserve congratulations - there were so many amazing performances this weekend!! Winning didn't come easy to anyone this weekend and the athletes and coaches should be commended for putting together such incredible routines.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

pretty sure that $4.7 trillion remark was sarcasm and was simply alluding to the power of the company. that's more than the richest company in the world.

I didn't make the number up. I read it in an article about them.

This hurts my heart. Shame on USASF. I can't even put into words how sad and angry this situation makes me. There was negligence on behalf of USASF in so many ways that night. There is a reason why I cross out and initial every release form that has negligence built into it, but no athlete, parent or coach should ever have to be put into these types of situations to even have to worry about negligence.
With that said, the teams who won deserve congratulations - there were so many amazing performances this weekend!! Winning didn't come easy to anyone this weekend and the athletes and coaches should be commended for putting together such incredible routines.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

-13 is Darnell

Back