All-Star Discuss Your Usasf Struggles Here

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Maybe I'm not interpreting tone right...I'm not sure why SLAM deserves unkindness here. :( Do you have to be part of some long-timers club in order to have commentary?
No you don't have to be a long timer to comment. Everyone is allowed to do that.
@mybabywantstotumble is seeing that @SL&AM is posting every 5 minutes on EVERYTHING on the board.
There is NO WAY she is an expert ON EVERYTHING cheer when she has never been a coach and her CP is MINI 1 athlete.
Look we are all here to gain knowledge but no one is an expert and qualified enough to comment on every topic. Plus, how does one have enough free time to even do that?
CTFD!!

Last edited:
No you don't have to be a long timer to comment. Everyone is allowed to do that.
@mybabywantstotumble is seeing that @SL&AM is posting every 5 minutes on EVERYTHING on the board.
There is NO WAY she is an expert ON EVERYTHING cheer when she has never been a coach and her CP is MINI 1 athlete.
Look we are all here to gain knowledge but no one is an expert and qualified enough to comment on every topic. Plus, how does one have enough free time to even do that?
CTFD!!
Amen. I couldn't have summed up my thoughts on the topic any better.

This picture was taken from the inside out, I believe, before people were let in---I think the tapping happened after to keep anymore people from coming in. I asked my DH about gaffer's tape since he uses it at work from time to time and he said a layer or two and people could have easily pushed through it but anything beyond that and the security risks are way too high---so I'm still curious to see the tape job. I'm twitter stupid as far as searching stuff goes so if someone finds the photo, shoot me a PM or something.

The taping of the gates started early in the day. I was inside the stadium at around 1:00 in the afternoon and normally all of the side gates are open so people can come in and get refreshments and use the bathrooms...our team always stretches in the hallways there as do many teams. On Sunday, all of the perimeter gates were closed and I was watching a security person walk around taping all of the gates shut. He was using some kind of tape that looked like electrical tape.

CTFD!!
There is nothing worse than coming on here and seeing someone with no knowledge of your team/gym/program posting information about it and having so many people believe it as "fact" and continue to treat it as such.

Last edited:
This x1000!
There is nothing worse than coming on here and seeing someone with no knowledge of your team/gym/program posting information about it and having so many people believe it as "fact" and continue to treat it as such.
Yes, this is my biggest issue. Not looking to gang up on her, but she has posted incorrect information so many times that I just don't read her posts anymore because I can't respond kindly. Kids do a good enough job spreading false information on social media - we don't need adults to add to the madness. A few have nicely tried to point that out but it hasn't seemed to make a difference.

Listen I am not up on all the safety rules at what Levels Etc. One thing that jumped out at me during the whole wet floor situation was.... Remember in the MilkHouse on Day 1, for lack of a better name I will call him "Captain Diveroll" the spotter who has flying all over the mat trying to save every potential shoe lace that may have touched the floor.

Where was he on the ball field? I applaud the effort he was making to make sure none of the athletes were injured. At what point does he say "Hey it's wet out there, the back of my shirt proves it from rolling around out there" but come to think of it. I don't remember seeing Captain Diveroll out there at all? Did that diminish the cinematic effect of filming finals?

Again maybe they don't use spotter for large teams for the tight mat space. It was something I thought about as they were discussing safety issues. Why didn't Captain Diveroll speak up? I do applaud the effort to help keep our kids safe. I just wish USASF would keep the same safety standards across the board. It will get better I am sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. I would like to see Cheer Athletics statement as IMHO they were the only ones affected by the wet floor and she could have been seriously injured.

2. I'm gonna be really honest here, and my opinion is probably an unpopular one.. I don't believe that the actual blue floor was soaking wet to the point where it was a hazard. I agree the red border was wet from the humidity and dew but has anyone shown proof of the blue floor being wet? I have watched all LAG videos and a lot of them seem to be landing tumbling just fine ?

3. I am not taking away any kids right to safety or any coaches right to stand up for their teams. They were there I was not. I actually have no dog in the fight - just going off what I see !

4.I do not agree with an athlete competing at midnight. Completely unacceptable !

5. I hope some of these actions have consequences.

1. I would like to see Cheer Athletics statement as IMHO they were the only ones affected by the wet floor and she could have been seriously injured.

2. I'm gonna be really honest here, and my opinion is probably an unpopular one.. I don't believe that the actual blue floor was soaking wet to the point where it was a hazard. I agree the red border was wet from the humidity and dew but has anyone shown proof of the blue floor being wet? I have watched all LAG videos and a lot of them seem to be landing tumbling just fine ?

3. I am not taking away any kids right to safety or any coaches right to stand up for their teams. They were there I was not. I actually have no dog in the fight - just going off what I see !

4.I do not agree with an athlete competing at midnight. Completely unacceptable !

5. I hope some of these actions have consequences.
I mean, I haven't tested this theory because my life doesn't have access to cheer mats and an Olympic-sized pool (well....actually on that last one, I do :D) But is it not possible that while the mat might not have been super-soaked, it could absorb some water and therefore be denser affecting spring (considering those mats are pretty spongy)? It would weigh more thereby putting more pressure on the rebound ability: maybe not enough to affect everyone's tumbling, but enough to where everything is more labored requiring more effort. Which would make everyone more tired (than, you know, a 45 minute wait in between warmups and competing), affecting performance? Just a theory...A CHEER THEORY.

But yeah, even if it wasn't as slippery as it was by panthers, if it's soaking up water the way it could that would affect performance even without it needing to be visually soaked the whole time. And it would increase as time went on, compounding the already disastrous wait times and competition back log (which is evidenced by the increasing deductions for later teams). Which has happened REPEATEDLY and is also an issue.

As an addendum: Veteran here, Kristen, Queen of Sass nice to meet you all. I was here in and out during the weekend, and yes, I can confirm that 'we' were discussing the photo of who was there and wasn't there and the calling down of the smaller gyms who hadn't already been on the field during the madness. And I wasn't even here DURING large senior finals. Thank you, peasants.

ETA: Two things. One, taping those gates is a complete fire hazard. There must ALWAYS be a safe direct route in case of a fire/emergency. If the fire marshall showed up, hypothetically they could have been shut down. Not only was the USASF breaking their own rules, they were technically breaking the law.

Also, maybe this is a moment for retired athletes to come together to say something. We (I can use We here!!)/they no longer have dogs in this fight and therefore can be free of retaliation but are still close enough to the situation to MAYBE have some impact? Not sure what/to whom things should be addressed or how, but just a jumping off point.

Last edited:
It is hard to be a true governing body overseeing safety for all athletes when you have the mind, mentality and share many of the same workers of an EP that declared we are cheerleading.

I fully believe we need a seperation between Worlds and USASF if USASF wants to continue to be the governing body of cheer. Not only because they clearly cannot handle enforcing their own rules AND run a competition at the same time but its seems like there is a complete double standard. Other EPs would be repremanded harshly by USASF (in theory) if they pulled the same shenanigans but USASF can walk away without even a slap on the wrist.

I'd really like to see a seperate "EP" that only does Worlds. Varsity and all other independant EPs, appearal companies, etc, can partner, USASF can govern but keep it seperate from everything else.

Last edited:
It is hard to be a true governing body overseeing safety for all athletes when you have the mind, mentality and share many of the same workers of an EP that declared we are cheerleading.
I agree.
To truly have the athletes best interest in mind you have to have a clear separation between a governing body and EPs. The governing body has to also be able to override any decision the EPs make.
Similar to OSHA.

Haven't read the thread. But I have been spectating at worlds since 2012 and this has been a consistent problem and it was the worst this year. They are money hungry and oversell worlds. In the baseball stadium there were people in the aisles and getting yelled at to sit, however there were no seats. People were fighting each other and it was horrendous. If they want to solve this problem, they need to sell individual seats. Until that happens (which is probably wont bc $$$) this will continue to be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The red padding around the mat was definitely wet. There's no disputing that. But I'm not so sure it effected the carpeted area too much. Otherwise we would have seen a lot more tumbling slips and busts than stunt falls. We did see a few people slip who stepped on to the red, so that area was clearly a problem.

But to me, the bigger issue is USASF refusing to sanction a competition than runs past 11pm while expecting the top teams on the planet to compete for a World Championship after that hour on what is technically a weeknight. Keep in mind, they also one of the first divisions to go on Saturday. That's pretty crazy. That may not effect the 18 year old but I'm willing to bet it effects the 12 year old on her first time at Worlds.

There was literally no reason to begin this so late. And if you are, rotate divisions and judging panels so you don't have such long gaps between teams. The Hip Hop was cool and all but not at the expensive of the safety of those still to compete.

Last edited:
Back