All-Star Discuss Your Usasf Struggles Here

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

World's needs to be 100% indoors. If that means *gasp* moving it from Disney, then move it. They also need to consider lowering the number of bids. I know that neither will happen because of the $$$$$ and other behind the scenes things. But for an event that has such a danger potential, the need to have these top tier athletes performing under the most ideal and controlled conditions possible.

I had a ticket. I didn't go because it looked like a cluster &$#%.

My thoughts are inflammatory at best, so perhaps not productive, but it's what I want to say. I wrote this up to respond to someone else who didn't see a problem elsewhere in this thread because it appeared to them that everyone performed okay, but I didn't want to engage with them:

(SARCASM BEGINS)
So we should experiment with dew and damp on the floor to seek the point of death and injury?

The august ruling body of cheer can enumerate in future guidelines degrees of risk and have parents sign away rights to sue

Risk assessment
1 hour dew...blown knee
2 hour dew...parapalegic
3 hour dew...quad
4 hour dew...death

I mean it's unlikely and we can sacrifice a cash cow, um athlete, here and there so it's worth the risk? (SARCASM ENDS)

(SERIOUSNESS BEGINS)
I am assuming that if Worlds plays out like this next year, it will mean the USASF as decided it is okay to risk an athlete here and here.

I had a ticket. I didn't go because it looked like a cluster f**k.

My thoughts are inflammatory at best, so perhaps not productive, but it's what I want to say. I wrote this up to respond to someone else who didn't see a problem elsewhere in this thread because it appeared to them that everyone performed okay, but I didn't want to engage with them:

So we should experiment with dew and damp on the floor to seek the point of death and injury?

The august ruling body of cheer can enumerate in future guidelines degrees of risk and have parents sign away rights to sue (SARCASM ALERT)

Risk assessment
1 hour dew...blown knee
2 hour dew...parapalegic
3 hour dew...quad
4 hour dew...death

I mean it's unlikely and we can sacrifice a cash cow, um athlete, here and there so it's worth the risk? I am assuming that if Worlds plays out like this next year, it will mean the USASF as decided it is okay to risk an athlete here and here. (SARCASM ALERT)

Oh, that was probably me. That wasn't my intention to say that "well no one died so how slippery can the mat actually be"
I also even stated, I wasn't there, so I am sorry if you were offended by my post.
When someone considers the mat a slip n slide, I expect to see kids falling everywhere (hypothetically)
Kids were falling everywhere but seemed to be only on the edges.
My post was quiet some time ago and have since read replies about athletes telling their parents some horrific stories so if it makes you feel better my opinion has changed a bit.

I can see this point, I definitely THINK they either don't care or don't know how to address it but this also presents with it's own set of challenges.

I feel bad for the very good people who work for this event and do not make the decisions. They are being lumped into something, they too, had no control over and for all we know didn't agree with. The gatekeepers to sold out crowds, the people who managed the spreadsheets for compete times, the venue being held outside (always with the potential to face other nature) etc. was beyond their scope...for all anyone knows they may have addressed their concerns prior but someone at the helm didn't listen

We went to a competition this season where warmups were outside, and it had rained buckets the day before. When the coaches went to the venue Friday night, warmup ares were in standing water. All of our teams, even level 1, were told that it was a safety hazard to compete in wet shoes, so warmups would be modified if mats were wet. We were told to send the kids in without cheer shoes on until coaches assessed the situation. If mats were wet, they would warm up in alternate shoes and change once inside. Seems like the USASF would have the same amount of common sense and realize the hazard that performing on a wet mat presents.

It wasn't wet to the point that there were puddles on the floor. It was, however, wet enough that the bottom of shoes became damp, which increased the difficulty of elite stunts and could have affecting landings and other parts of tumbling.

You will never get a boycott when there are gyms OWNED by the same company putting on the event. Do you want to go to Worlds or be able to pay your mortgage this month? Sadly, that is the reality for many in this imdusty-whether their pay checks come from V or their rebate is simply so large they rely on it. Many gyms are not in the position to use their power for "good" per say, which is even more amazing to see gyms like CA do so by going to IEPs and using other uniforms.

World's is an entertainment production and the USASF has contracts, expenses, and deadlines that are in direct conflict with athlete safety if things don't go as planned or on schedule. It is not realistic to believe you will police your own event with integrity when it is also your job on the line to meet deadlines and stay on budget.

Ultimately, the athletes deserve a safe environment, a good warm up, reasonable times between warm ups and competing, good judges, and parents deserve to see their kids. The fan base, as much as I love to watch World's, should not become the priority if they are locked into a contract that isn't designed to accommodate the yearly attendance increase. A lot of this has become about us fans that really want to watch our teams and the money that comes along with it.

You will never get a boycott when there are gyms OWNED by the same company putting on the event. Do you want to go to Worlds or be able to pay your mortgage this month? Sadly, that is the reality for many in this imdusty-whether their pay checks come from V or their rebate is simply so large they rely on it. Many gyms are not in the position to use their power for "good" per say, which is even more amazing to see gyms like CA do so by going to IEPs and using other uniforms.

Can you maybe explain that either here or in a message?
USASF owns cheer gyms ?

I feel like I'm having an airhead moment right now.

Can you maybe explain that either here or in a message?
USASF owns cheer gyms ?

I feel like I'm having an airhead moment right now.

There are several high profile gyms that are owned by Varsity/USASF. Most people only know of the Premier Athletics Gym chain. Just because you see a different "spokesman" or owner does not mean they are independent. By not publicly putting the Varsity name on these gyms it promotes the "illusion" of no ties to the conglomerate. So you have gyms owned by Varsity/USASF, going to events (with different names) run by Varsity/USASF, buying uniforms and shoes from companies owned by Varsity/USASF, using music producers and choreographers from Varsity/USASF getting massive rebate checks back from Varsity, and just constantly recycling the money within its own business. For them as a business it is great. For those of us on the outside it sucks, mostly because they are so good at keeping the masses in the dark or confused about what they own and what they do.

Last edited:

Are programs still getting kickbacks fromVarsity for attending events and buying apparel from them?
I assume so because of the "Family Plan" but what are the details of it?

Varsity All Star Cheerleading - The Varsity Family Plan

Are programs still getting kickbacks fromVarsity for attending events and buying apparel from them?

Yes.

It will cease at some point because IMO it is an unsustainable long term business model. They won't need it if they can keep running IEP's and stronger independent gyms out of business if they wont sell out.

ETA: Also because of the new ownership of Varsity is more focused on making money, (not bad thing but the loyalty is way different) it makes no sense to give back money when you already have eliminated the majority of your competing EP's, have direct access to market to the parents and athletes regardless to whether the gym owner/coach are supporters of your events, and ave bought out competing EP's and block venues of those IEP's who refuse to sell out or come on board. It is a business not a sport. That is what we have to understand.

Last edited:
I feel bad for the very good people who work for this event and do not make the decisions. They are being lumped into something, they too, had no control over and for all we know didn't agree with. The gatekeepers to sold out crowds, the people who managed the spreadsheets for compete times, the venue being held outside (always with the potential to face other nature) etc. was beyond their scope...for all anyone knows they may have addressed their concerns prior but someone at the helm didn't listen
Likely they did not. Sadly this industry is one in which you are black balled if you speak out. Our kids are taught to stay quiet or be replaced... As parents we learn that should we dare to say anything our kids will take the brunt, so we are kowtowed into silence. Gym owners who might want to speak up are held in check by their bank accounts and the cash cow that is Varsity.

How can this happen? I used North Korea as an analogy earlier but I think WWII/Europe/Hitler is a good historical example here. How many of us say "how could they let that happen?" when reading about those years. "How could everyone look the other way and stay silent?"

Varsity owns gyms and Varsity and USASF are the same thing. Different names and claims they are not the same, but for all intents and purposes they are the same.

I feel like, metaphorically, Varsity also "owns" gyms as in gyms have no other choice than to feed into Varisty. Like gyms that are in remote areas where the ONLY option for competitions are Varsity events.

But in reality all gyms are metaphorically "owned" by Varisty because a gyms success is measured by their placements at Varisty and USASF events. If you want to grow and be successful, you HAVE to use Varsity. NCA, UCA, Jamfest Nationals, Worlds, Summit (ETA: I always forget CHEERSPORT is also Varsity). Those are the premier events in the cheer world. A gym is deemed successful, for the most part, by how many of those titles they hold. You really can't escape Varisty.

But that is a whole other argument :)

Last edited:
Back