All-Star Discussion - Cheer Perfection Tlc

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Have they filmed more then just the first episode? Or is it going to be a while for the rest to come out?

OK, I missed the original airing, but I just finished watching a re-run.............OHHHH jeeeeez!!!
Where do I start?
Some of these parents have got me so worked up I can't even think straight.

....and Brooke has some level 3 skills? ...ummm.....level 3 what?

Reactions: Ems
You're welcome! Were you or your child featured? Even if not, what's your take on Cheer Perfection and the impact it's had on your gym? I'm quite curious.

No We werent. I'm not happy with how the show portrayed our gym. The moms were embarassing our girls however were not! Idon't understand why our level two team is now responsible for setting our sport back as some people have posted. It's like because they aren't a level five its an embarrassment...totally don't get that. I'm surprised and disappointed by the response from our fellow Allstar cheerleaders old and new. I have seen some nasty and rude posts made about our gym and our girls....posts made via twitter Facebook and this board either came from the parent of a cheerleader, a former cheerleader, current cheerleader or a coach.

Pictures making fun of our girls tweeting mean tweets that are retweeted by some of the top gyms in world. It is my opinion that some of those so called world champions have not behaved like champions at all. Mean girls mean girls......for me this was disheartening. This has been the most upsetting four girls to see the pictures with the captions written all over them is just plain rude and hurtful.

People hated us because the l2 was featured and because it wasn't a l5. Then it was posted that we had l6 and that wasn't good enough. On this very board someone posted they were afraid to hear we had l6 squad. Afraid, really? Your fears are based on what the 28 minutes you saw on TV. Ive seen people say we aren't a real gym because we haven't been to worlds, NCA or uca Nationals,really? Is that how a real gym is measured. They cheer world has deemed cheersport, Jamfest wsa mda and lots of other organizations as lackluster. Yet all of these organizations host competitions all over the world for thousands of teams every year.

I saw this post on twitter:
Tweet:There aren't any summer competitions Response: yes there are, south padre
Tweet:it's not a real competition. Response: not sure what you consider real
Response: youth silver grand champs. Twitter: out of how many teams
Response: 9! Twitter: what are their names

It's post like this that lead me to believe it doesn't matter what we do it will not be good enough. I hope the next show portrays us in a better light.

No We werent. I'm not happy with how the show portrayed our gym. The moms were embarassing our girls however were not! Idon't understand why our level two team is now responsible for setting our sport back as some people have posted. It's like because they aren't a level five its an embarrassment...totally don't get that. I'm surprised and disappointed by the response from our fellow Allstar cheerleaders old and new. I have seen some nasty and rude posts made about our gym and our girls....posts made via twitter Facebook and this board either came from the parent of a cheerleader, a former cheerleader, current cheerleader or a coach.

Pictures making fun of our girls tweeting mean tweets that are retweeted by some of the top gyms in world. It is my opinion that some of those so called world champions have not behaved like champions at all. Mean girls mean girls......for me this was disheartening. This has been the most upsetting four girls to see the pictures with the captions written all over them is just plain rude and hurtful.

People hated us because the l2 was featured and because it wasn't a l5. Then it was posted that we had l6 and that wasn't good enough. On this very board someone posted they were afraid to hear we had l6 squad. Afraid, really? Your fears are based on what the 28 minutes you saw on TV. Ive seen people say we aren't a real gym because we haven't been to worlds, NCA or uca Nationals,really? Is that how a real gym is measured. They cheer world has deemed cheersport, Jamfest wsa mda and lots of other organizations as lackluster. Yet all of these organizations host competitions all over the world for thousands of teams every year.

i understand your frustration, believe me i do, and i agree with the fact that some of the pictures are rude and there is a line that needs to be drawn, but i think when people are saying they were afraid to see the level 6 team is because of the stunts that were shown and the sloppiness as well as some of the air positions being pulled, its the same thing with canadian and international cheer im canadian and im not afraid to say some of the gyms i see terrify me because they are throwing stunts that arent polished or ready to be on the floor.

as for the nca/cheersport/worlds vs. 'fake' or not real competitions its not that the smaller ones arent real its just when theres major stress put on the fact that 'we're jamfest national champions and wsa champions' it makes it seem like those are the best of the best titles world caliber titles when in reality they are not.

yes 28 minutes doesnt give a huge insight into the gym and the nature of the individuals in it but we are all entitled to our own opinions and from everything said seen and done, theres truth to every lie or thing on tv no matter how much of a lie is there

sorry if this comes off as rude not my intention just trying to play devils advocate and shed some insight.. and if this doesnt make sense its because im sleepy *grammar nazis attack*

I saw this post on twitter:
Tweet:There aren't any summer competitions Response: yes there are, south padre
Tweet:it's not a real competition. Response: not sure what you consider real
Response: youth silver grand champs. Twitter: out of how many teams
Response: 9! Twitter: what are their names

It's post like this that lead me to believe it doesn't matter what we do it will not be good enough. I hope the next show portrays us in a better light.

I hope so too, both for CTR and for the all-star cheer world. I feel bad that the rest of you who did not sign on for this are now caught in this ugly crossfire and put in the position of having to defend your gym to the cheer world on multiple social media sites. Most of us have come to understand that much of the show portrayed your gym in the way that TLC wanted to portray it, however, I think the biggest issue I had with it was not that it was focused on a level 2 team, but that the skills being demonstrated by the kids "trying out" were either far above or far below level 2 skills, yet the show made it seem to the average viewer that everyone was trying to get on that team whether they had a full or only a back headspring and regardless of age.
I just hate that the overall focus of the show was on the drama mamas and the coach's inner circle rather than on the all star athletes in your gym who are working on skills to make the teams they should be on, and that this path that TLC has chosen then becomes representative of all-star cheerleading to the general public.

Overall, it's more about technique of skills and routines, rather than level followed or the competitions attended. There are some beast level 2 teams and plenty of gyms that are amazing without attending the big 3 nationals or worlds. From what we've seen through the show and youtube however, I can't say that much was portrayed to the general public (including the fierceboard) of your gym at that level of execution to combat all the negative comments unfortunately. Perhaps, we'll see otherwise this season. Who knows. At the moment though what is out there of your gym is this:

Jamfest Southaven Cheer Senior Lv. 4 Winners - YouTube

when the board is used to seeing this:

The Stingray Allstars Frost - YouTube

It's up to your gym to prove the public wrong quite frankly, otherwise I fear that the respect that was lost through the show will stay that way to many in the allstar world. Many of the comments that were posted on twitter and such were taken over the edge, but it is crucial to remember that people get VERY defensive about their sport when they feel threatened, especially when it is a sport that gets as much flack as allstar cheerleading. This results in not always tactful posts unfortunately (especially from teens/young adults). It's not necessarily right, but that's the internet when something is thrown out to the public..... It explodes for 24 hours over something. Don't completely give up hope however. Show that your gym has the technique and execution that wasn't shown on tv/youtube out on the competition floor this season, and criticizers won't be able to say anything as a mutual respect will be earned back.

It must be awful to feel the effects of this show due to a few individuals' decisions at your gym, so I wish you and the other families at CTR that chose to stay out of the show but are now wrapped up in its negativity the best of luck this season. It has been a rough week or so for all of you, I am sure.

Back