College Is it possible to make a college cheer team with 1 year of experience?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 24, 2024
I'm a junior in highschool and really want to cheer in college. I want to take cheer classes for my senior year to prepare me for college cheer. I have minimum tumbling like back handsprings and ro backhandsprings. I want to go to either UWF, UF, or UCF. Does anyone think I have a chance at making any of these teams with one year experience of cheer. Will one year have me college tryout ready?

UCF competes regularly at the UCA College Nationals where it recently won the 2024 Division IA Large Coed Championship, it doesn't have an all-girl team and so it may not be easy to make the team. I am not sure about West Florida, but I know that while Florida's large coed team (the squad that cheers for Gators sports) doesn't compete, it does have an all-girl club team that competes in the NCA College Nationals.
Hope this helps.

UCF competes regularly at the UCA College Nationals where it recently won the 2024 Division IA Large Coed Championship, it doesn't have an all-girl team and so it may not be easy to make the team. I am not sure about West Florida, but I know that while Florida's large coed team (the squad that cheers for Gators sports) doesn't compete, it does have an all-girl club team that competes in the NCA College Nationals.
Hope this helps.
Would you happen to know anything about FAU or FIU's teams?

I'm a junior in highschool and really want to cheer in college. I want to take cheer classes for my senior year to prepare me for college cheer. I have minimum tumbling like back handsprings and ro backhandsprings. I want to go to either UWF, UF, or UCF. Does anyone think I have a chance at making any of these teams with one year experience of cheer. Will one year have me college tryout ready?
I hope that this helps, but really work on stretching and conditioning your body for proper technique. It's possible to make their team, but perfecting the other aspects of cheer is highly important. Your Jumps will need to be strong with proper arm positioning, toe points, and body positioning. Stretching will help with this, so if you can pull up some flyer stretches, I've noticed where this helps. Start working on your aerials. Work on not dropping your shoulders to keep from being too low to the ground. Also, start working on your back tucks. A lot of these teams have tucks as a requirement, it doesn't always have to be perfect, but it's needed to be in a good running. You can do it, just stay focused.

Back