All-Star Disqualifying Cheaters

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My CP is in a German immersion program. But she spoke German before she went into the program. They start with weekly Spanish lessons in 4th grade and then in middle school you can decide if you want to switch completely to Spanish or continue in German. Our city also has a Mandarin immersion school, a few Spanish immersion schools, and two French immersion schools (one is private). I took German and Spanish in high school and college.

It is fairly common for our area for neighborhood schools to have a weekly Spanish class in their curriculum. But we are also right next to the border so I am not sure if that is the norm.
Not the norm in the north that I aware of. When I was in elem school my 1st grade teacher used to speak French and teach us as a reward. I truly believe that is the best time to introduce a language. Kids minds are just sponges. I myself took 3 years of French in high school and a year of Spanish but by that time I just couldn't do it. School was just not something I really enjoyed all that much.

**please raise your hand if you're related to Jocelyn**

Not the norm in the north that I aware of. When I was in elem school my 1st grade teacher used to speak French and teach us as a reward. I truly believe that is the best time to introduce a language. Kids minds are just sponges. I myself took 3 years of French in high school and a year of Spanish but by that time I just couldn't do it. School was just not something I really enjoyed all that much.

**please raise your hand if you're related to Jocelyn**

I took two years (ahem, three years... but one was a do over ;) of Spanish in high school and one year of German. I was awful at Spanish and just okay at German, but I heard that language spoken occasionally in my home. I started back to school again a couple of years ago and decided to give German a try again. I picked it up really easily! I decided to take Spanish my last two quarters ever of college and I haven't had much trouble with it. I think it is the difference in the motivation to learn of a 30-something year-old and a teenager.

But learning as a child, particularly in the preschool years, is the best time. My daughter is fluent in German because she has had someone speaking German to her since she was a toddler.

I took two years (ahem, three years... but one was a do over ;) of Spanish in high school and one year of German. I was awful at Spanish and just okay at German, but I heard that language spoken occasionally in my home. I started back to school again a couple of years ago and decided to give German a try again. I picked it up really easily! I decided to take Spanish my last two quarters ever of college and I haven't had much trouble with it. I think it is the difference in the motivation to learn of a 30-something year-old and a teenager.

But learning as a child, particularly in the preschool years, is the best time. My daughter is fluent in German because she has had someone speaking German to her since she was a toddler.

Yes to learning as a kid. I learned French in 2nd grade and was able to pick it up very easily. My 2nd grade teacher taught our class a little bit everyday and somehow I was able to piece together the language without a lot of formal teaching. So weird. I picked up Spanish easily because I lived in Southern California. But I think trying to learn Mandarin or something with different characters would be near impossible for me.

In my younger years, I went to a language immersion summer camp in Minnesota called International Language Villages (thru Concordia College). They offered 12 different languages (German, French, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Danish, Japanese) and they now offer English for international campers. The camps were 1, 2 or 4 weeks long (you can even earn high school credit there) and were TOTAL immersion, even if you didn't know a single word of the language. I became almost fluent in German after 2 summers of going there. Amazing experience and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who has a child that wants to learn a language. I know now they also offer family weeks and weekends :)

This is so true. My degree was in Arabic. I can still read a little and write a little, but I haven't spoken it (except for in an orphanage in Djibouti in 2006, and poorly, at that) since I graduated in 2004.
Come to NJ and hang out with my husband's family. You can even translate for me. I don't speak a lick of Arabic, and so I'm totally lost at family gatherings.

In my younger years, I went to a language immersion summer camp in Minnesota called International Language Villages (thru Concordia College). They offered 12 different languages (German, French, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Danish, Japanese) and they now offer English for international campers. The camps were 1, 2 or 4 weeks long (you can even earn high school credit there) and were TOTAL immersion, even if you didn't know a single word of the language. I became almost fluent in German after 2 summers of going there. Amazing experience and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who has a child that wants to learn a language. I know now they also offer family weeks and weekends :)

Thanks for this info!!!

Anyone have video of this awesome Flip City J2 team? I gotta see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flip City's J2 just won cheersport and got and at-large bid to the summit and the 5th highest score of the entire competition.
yep my CP team will go against them at Summit. Hope they have age appropriate athletes :) saw last season video of them at Summit but they were large j2 then. Now they are small j2

Most of this years fc j2 is either on j4 or sr5. They posted a video of them finding out they won the bid at their SR 5 practice. I am just glad we moved far enough away that we do not have to compete against them. But I do feel bad for whoever will go against them at summit. True level 2 kids have a hard time winning against level 4/5 kids, regardless if they are within age.

Back