All-Star Do You Get A Break?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When our gym is closed, it is flat out closed. No classes, no privates, no nothing, the doors are locked. I don't know of anyone that goes and tumbles anywhere else either. The kids miss each other like it has been years when that week or two go by.

No real break here either. We get back from Worlds on Tuesday 4/28 and Summit teams get back 4/4. Classes and clinics will be running as usual and then tryouts begin 5/18. During that time my CP has prom and her 17th birthday. Kinda looking forward to summer when only 2 practices per week and no school LOL.

We have multiple breaks throughout the season. Now that our last comp was this past weekend, we start levelled practices 2x a week and optional clinics until mid-May. Then teams are created (no try outs this year) and we start the new season the 1st week in June. So we have a 2 week break at the end of May.

Our summer schedule runs June to August and all teams only practice 1x week (weekends are free) and only if you're in town. So many people take a week or 2 off for vacation time. Optional clinics and camps run in July & August and we have 2-day levelled training camp in the summer too. There's a gym closure for 10 days at the beginning of August and then mandatory practices start the 2nd week in September. We're also closed for 2 weeks at Christmas and over Thanksgiving and March Break.

After 2 weeks off things tend to be a hot mess for a week or so. The worse is the Christmas break. The girls come back from that break and many are having to relearn the routine and their newly developed skills are gone for a bit too.

Our last gym we had no break at all....flew hoe from summit and went right from the airport to clinics. Tryouts were that Saturday, teams posted Sun and practices started on Mon.

I wish!! We have about a week and a half to two weeks before we find out what our CPs make!

Usually worth the wait but sitting around waiting for the emails is painful! Especially when they send out placement teasers and count downs to the placement emails. Fun but agonizing. :banghead: :D

Is the reason we don't really have an "off-season" because the athletes can regress if they aren't working the skills? My dd gets antsy if she doesn't tumble for more than a few days....she is always saying, "Mom, I will lose my "insert current skill" if I'm not at the gym!" Is that why gymnasts train almost daily? Seems to me like muscle memory would protect the skills, but dd says no.

My CP actually benefits from a break from the gym. Sometimes, right when she is on the cusp of mastering a new tumbling skill, CP will overdo it in the gym and burn herself out trying to get it. This happened a couple of weeks ago. After 5 days off from tumbling, she came back and has been nailing that skill ever since.

Well I'm from Sweden so totally different but yeah. Our last comp is nationals on may 23rd.. But a lot of european teams still compete in june, for jamfest europe(20th-21st of june) and the european championship(27th-28th of june....).

I don't know 100% how it will be this upcoming summer, but last summer we had our tryouts in the beginning of june, and then had pretty much one "mandatory"(if you were in town you were required to be there), and one optional practise per week, and then we were cheering/showcased at football games every few weeks. And then in august we start up with 100% mandatory practises and the longest break we have is like a week over christmas. I don't think I've ever been off from cheer for more than a week in years..

I know we will have a camp for kids who wants to try out new sports this summer, as well as the football games, but other than that I think, and kinda hope, that we will have some time off, it's well needed for all of us tbh. Lol sorry for the long rant.

Any time when I get to decide if she goes to the gym tonight is a break to me!! Because maybe we will just stay home (not tonight of course...but in theory it could happen!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i love this! (a substantial break from cheer AND year-round school)

besides the ASTRONOMICAL cost of all star, the risqué uniforms, the makeup, and the theatrics/pageantry of it all - I think the lack of off season is one more thing keep families away from this activity for their children. especially young children.. when they're older they can commit to other sports' travel leagues and more extensive commitment, but littles? you want to expose them to a lot of things, not commit to a full year of one activity that their child may not even love.

Half year teams were probably the best thing for the growth of the industry, IMO. andddddd sorry for that off-topic rant. I support long breaks and a true "off-season."
:shimmy:

Is the reason we don't really have an "off-season" because the athletes can regress if they aren't working the skills? My dd gets antsy if she doesn't tumble for more than a few days....she is always saying, "Mom, I will lose my "insert current skill" if I'm not at the gym!" Is that why gymnasts train almost daily? Seems to me like muscle memory would protect the skills, but dd says no.

After break periods athletes can lose certain skills; between moving and getting CP into her new gym I watched her struggle with one skill she had had for months and no longer be closed to the skill she was so close to getting. She's on the littier size, so age can factor. When I danced in all-stars I had an almost 2 weeks break because of a hospital stay; despite being in the middle of competition season and having the endurance up until that point without question, I couldn't do 2 full-outs before I was falling to the ground like my lungs were going to close up. It was the first time ever that I had to raise my hand and say I could not do it again and I had to sit down. So I do think skill and endurance make up part of the reasons; HOWEVER...big however, gyms operate with money from tuition, classes, teams...etc, etc. If they take off, say 2 months of down time, who is paying those bills for those 2 months? Sure you have your gym-rats (like mine would be) who would still want to be in there for tumbling, open gyms...etc, but I wouldn't be paying near as much and I know quite a few parents would take the time off.

Not to mention, The Summit happens in May, the next time competitions start popping up is August. Assuming a gym takes May for try-outs and starts teams in June, that's June and July to get ready for a competition season as early as August-September. If no one competed until December-Jan timeframe, I could see a stronger argument for extended breaks.

I mean my senior year season just ended...finally get a break... :( other than that, our gym this year has a week and a half before tryouts start up.

We have practices for all teams (including non-bid teams) for the whole month following our final regular season (before Words and Summit) competition. Then our tryouts are a little over a week after The Summit. The gym is open during Worlds and Summit weeks; and regular lessons, classes, and clinics continue in the week and a half(ish) leading up to tryouts. We *also* have special clinics the final two days before tryouts (one tumbling, one stunting).

Edit: The special clinics are going on, as well as regular lessons and classes the final two days.

Back