Does It Ever Get Easier?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 18, 2011
I made the switch from high school cheer to all star cheer and I can'y seem to make friends. Everyone at my gym already has clicks and relationships formed. I feel like the odd man out. ANY ADVICE?

yes it does get easier! when i switched gyms a couple years ago i had missed tryouts so when i went to practice like you said everyone had their cliques/relationships formed but i just started talking to the people next to me during stretching & getting to know them then change who i sat next to next practice! that worked really well along with getting to know my stunt group. i got to know everyone pretty fast & didn't feel so out of the loop:)

It will get easier! :) I've just moved gym and just as long as you keep smiling and try talking to people you will fit right in. I was soo nervous going to my first training and im a really shy person when i don't know people but as long as people see that you are making an effort they will to! :) Good Luck

i was in that exact situation 2 years ago. i was the new girl on my allstar team and i felt the same way. my problem was that im a very shy and awkward person when im around people i dont know and it took me a while to open up even just a little bit, and it came across to some people as bitchy or that im too good for them but that was the complete opposite of what i was going on in my mind. it really does get a lot better as time goes on and you get to know everyone else and they get to know you. =]

Even if you can't get the whole team to do team bonding try getting the people from your stunt group together or even the people that mirror you in the routine or ask some people to do private tumbling lessons with you. All you have to do is spend a little time with someone and within seconds you'll have those inside jokes and such

I made the switch from high school cheer to all star cheer and I can'y seem to make friends. Everyone at my gym already has clicks and relationships formed. I feel like the odd man out. ANY ADVICE?
Just go up to a group of the girls and introduce yourself. I'm sure they will like you! Talk about old cheer teams, past sports, ect.

Although our gym is new this year, we have a lot of athletes from one particular high school who have all cheered together before. Newcomers are welcomed with open arms and they are all quickly becoming friends :) One girl, last week, wasn't sure if she wanted to try cheer or not. She joined in for the last 15 minutes or so to try it out. The whole group welcomed her by clapping and then encouraging her. She certainly felt very welcome.

I suggest you just continue to be yourself. Talk to people, compliment on something you admire, ask them questions. They'll come around and soon you'll have a gym full of friends :)

There's nothing wrong with being independent. Same thing has happened to me. What I did was if they talk to me, I'd talk to them back. Just be nice. Stay more focused on your cheer career if anything. Cheerleading is a TEAM sport but just keep on working hard, the coaches and the girls/guys will see how you improved. I know this isn't a post on "How to improve..." but how I overcame the part of being "left out" was to just be my own best friend. :)

ugh i've been through that. how long have you been at the all star gym. have you tried talking to the girls? i'm sure they would invite you into their friendship circle. it does take a while for people to warm up to someone that is new..because they've probably been on a team together for years. just try talking to them & making casual conversation, even if it's just in a stunt group. once the season starts & you start getting put into stunt groups you will eventually start talking to everyone because you will be in a stunt group together.

Back