All-Star Does The Dance Need To Be At The End Of A Routine?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You can switch it up. Two years ago, my team did our pyramid first. I think the "cookie cutter" routine setup comes from the fact that it's normally easiest on the body to do it in that order. Like, if I had to do elite stunts last I would die, and it would be pointless to do the dance first because it's the easiest part of the routine. It ultimately depends on the team and their strengths and weaknesses though.

I prefer the dance before pyramid. In dance it's not really proving anything unless you have tumbling. It's just waiting until the end so you can celebrate. Pyramid builds excitement. If you want to see the team hit you have to wait til the end to see the energy in the routine.

my team (senior 1) does in this order standing tumbling, running, stunts, jumps, single based, pyramid, dance

It works for us quite well as our strength is stunts so the ones who can't walkover do stunts in the back also when we dismount pyramid I am just ready to kill the dance for a final push

I think this could turn into a discussion on how routines are put together in general. Most are so cookie cutter...opening/standing tumbling, stunts, jumps, tumbling, pyramid, dance. There's very little variation within that and I wonder if that's taking away from the creativity of routines? Even if I've never seen a team before I can usually tell you what's coming next in their routine because it's predictable.

I do get the whole putting the dance at the end so you get the harder skills out of the way thing but is there any reason for the rest of the routine sections to be so structured?
Unless we're talking about old Top Gun routines.

Two out of the 3 teams my daughter competed on this season had the pyramid at the end, with the dance just before. I love the visual of the pyramid at the end.

Personally I love seeing a pyramid at the end, if it's a strong one. It's really impressive to me if a team can make it the whole way through their routine and still have the energy for a pyramid. But then again, if it's an extraordinarily kick@ss or unusual dance, though (see: Fashionista, ICE Thunder, any one of TGLC's from recent years), then it often goes best at the end, when the team can really show off.

:cheering:;)Tbh, I prefer the dance at the end for selfish reasons...My daughter tends to be the center or front dancer on all her teams routines, so I get to run up front and yell, shimmy and a make a total fool of myself...Yasss!(I must be good at the yelling part too, because my daughter always come off stage and tell me she spotted me)
Furthermore, my daughter mentioned that if she had to do all that heavy lifting, throwing, twisting and jumping at the end of the routine, she will just died... (these are simply, my daughter's statements)

Last edited:
CP's team ends their routine with their pyramid this season. At first it freaked me out, but I've come to enjoy it over the course of the season.

Latest posts

Back