All-Star Doing It All Over

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would definitely let my kid cheer. Idk if I would have been a coach though. Adults have done everything possible to suck all the fun out of it for me. My job, that I love and adore, has become so trying due to over zealous parents, shady coaches and industry "leaders". These kids breathe life into me with their innocent love for the sport. But the adults suck it right back out on a daily basis. Adults are the Death Eaters of cheer.
ETA: I've met some awesome adults that don't fit the death eater category but you know how those bad apples spoil the bunch....

I hope you let the smiling faces of all your kids fill up your coach's love basket and that it's fuller than the crap basket of adult behavior you put over in the corner!!! My daughter lives and dies by her coach. She is a huge influence in her life, more than I think the coach even knows. So on behalf of your athletes, let me say THANK YOU! And don't give up on coaching because you matter to them.

Oh... and adults suck. LOL

@ilikebigbows You just put into words how my oldest daughter must feel. Her last season went by too fast and all I wanted was a little more time to watch her doing what she loves - now I have an idea about how she must have felt. Sometimes it is so hard for me to see her watching her little sister, knowing how much she misses it. I never thought about how in other sports you can always find a pick up game or hit a few balls but you can't do that with all star cheer; once it's over, it's really over.

And for what it's worth, I don't think any of us are ever ready to grow up......

@ilikebigbows You just put into words how my oldest daughter must feel. Her last season went by too fast and all I wanted was a little more time to watch her doing what she loves - now I have an idea about how she must have felt. Sometimes it is so hard for me to see her watching her little sister, knowing how much she misses it. I never thought about how in other sports you can always find a pick up game or hit a few balls but you can't do that with all star cheer; once it's over, it's really over.

And for what it's worth, I don't think any of us are ever ready to grow up......

I think that's the hardest part for me. I still get to watch my sister compete, well I get to see videos when they are posted, and I wish I could be out there with her!
But now I'm starting the next chapter with my daughter she's on tinys like I already posted. And I'm on the other side of the mat now coaching. :)

For those that have been in cheer for a while and have seen all the drama, emotional and physical toll on our kids, heartache etc...if you knew then what you know now would you still have allowed your kids to get into all-star cheer?

In a heartbeat. There are things I would definitely do different, but she was born to cheer and would do it a million times over!

My Princess Hotmess is only in her 3rd year of cheer and I would not change it for anything. Seeing her come from this little girl who did not want any attention on and who felt she was ugly and dumb, to this amazingly confident girl with a ton of self-esteem is the best feeling ever I don't think any other sport would do this for her.

Even after the drama the surrounded our gym in the past 2 years I would still let her do allstars and we would be right back at our gym.

Our gym has been the only constant in her life throughout the past few years and has been her favorite place to be always.

I'm 3 years out of all star cheer now, and I would absolutely do it all over again. I always say I would do anything to go back out on the mat and compete. I made such great friends from cheerleading, that have really turned into family. Looking back at it, I have realized deciding to cheer at my gym was the greatest decision my mom and I ever made when I was 13. I learned so many life long lessons from cheerleading.

I haven't posted in a while but this thread pulled me in. I "think" we would do it again, but there are a few things I would change.

1. I would insist on gymnastics/tumbling training first/concurrently at a gymnastics facility. I would insist on proper technique in everything and perfection before progression, including proper technique in stretching.

2. I would put her in dance to supplement cheer at an early age. Not competitive, just dance lessons.

3. I would completely change the way I parented. I would step off and let her learn how to deal with coaches and other athletes by herself, only giving input at her request.

4. I would drop off as much as possible and just be her cheerleader instead of coach mom.

5. I wouldn't allow her to skip a level.

6. I would encourage being a well-rounded cheerleader instead of trying to excel at one area of the score sheet.

Unfortunately there is a time when the fun will have to end and I will have to find another passion. Cheerleading isn't portable like most sports. Long after high school and college, one can gather up an informal team and start a game of basketball, softball or soccer.
This is very true. But there comes a time in every retired cheerleaders life, usually in college and usually after a little (or a lot) or liquid courage where they round up a couple more retired cheer friends and attempt a stunt. Usually nothing more than a prep. But this is always unsafe and always hilarious.

That's the closest I've ever come to cheering in college. That or the time I based a girl to add some balloons to the top of a balloon arch.

Last edited:
I haven't posted in a while but this thread pulled me in. I "think" we would do it again, but there are a few things I would change.

1. I would insist on gymnastics/tumbling training first/concurrently at a gymnastics facility. I would insist on proper technique in everything and perfection before progression, including proper technique in stretching.

Agree with all of your points but this one especially!! I wish I knew then to focus on perfection before progression.

That is the one thing I'll tell any new mom who asks.

I would definitely let my kid cheer. Idk if I would have been a coach though. Adults have done everything possible to suck all the fun out of it for me. My job, that I love and adore, has become so trying due to over zealous parents, shady coaches and industry "leaders". These kids breathe life into me with their innocent love for the sport. But the adults suck it right back out on a daily basis. Adults are the Death Eaters of cheer.
ETA: I've met some awesome adults that don't fit the death eater category but you know how those bad apples spoil the bunch....

Keep @ilikebigbows post in the back of your mind. :)

Seriously, it saddens me to hear you say that. It seems to be an unfortunate "trend" (at least here on the boards) of not liking the direction cheer is heading. I think I may agree with some of it. I just hope for the majority of us who aren't crazy that the nuts don't drive coaches like you away from the sport.

The cheer world needs more @cupieqt! :)

Keep @ilikebigbows post in the back of your mind. :)

Seriously, it saddens me to hear you say that. It seems to be an unfortunate "trend" (at least here on the boards) of not liking the direction cheer is heading. I think I may agree with some of it. I just hope for the majority of us who aren't crazy that the nuts don't drive coaches like you away from the sport.

The cheer world needs more @cupieqt! :)

The good outweighs the bad! Thank you (and @Cheermom1969 )
Truly

if i would have known this back then, i would have never pushed the boundaries like i did when i did allstars. when i got hurt i would magically heal after a few months/weeks and be right back to pounding on the already destroyed muscles, bones, etc. at that time i didnt care, i just loved the sport to much. but at 25, i feel twice as old cause certain muscles and joints are probably done for. i always tell people i feel like i have the knees of an 80 year old, cause of the damage i probably have done to them.

I understand this, since Im 20 and sometimes I feel like Im 35, but some of the happiest moments of my entire life were when I was in the gym 6 days a week rain/shine/or broken bone. I dont think any pain I ever feel because of it could ever overshadow the joy it brought me.

Back