All-Star Doing It All Over

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It will surprise some people, but I will say a definite "YES!" I say surprise for reasons that I will not mention here, however, through God, Allstar cheer and her experiences at CEA, has helped to shape who my daughter has become!

It has not been easy for me to afford this sport as a single parent. But, I'm still young and healthy. I can still max out my retirement savings, thank God! Sometimes, my hours working in the medical field, meant that I would come home from a 24 hour shift, sleep for 4 hours and then take her to practice (or board a plane, or go to a private, or drive to wherever). I have worked sometimes 36 and 48 hr shifts (before they banded 48's as dangerous) to make the money! But, I would not trade that time in the car together for anything. All that time together, meant that I was the predominant influence in her life...not boys, not wacky sex crazed, fashion obsessed girlfriends. Her cheer friends, in my opinion, are slightly more sophisticated and polished than her school friends. They study and manage their time, in the same way that she does. I love that she spent so much time with them. I loved many of the parents in the gym, and how kind and nurturing they were to her. Many of them are doing a great job raising their kids, and I am glad that my CP got to grow up with them.

In my mind, cheerleading and the gym was always a classroom, where my daughter learned about life, and about different kinds of people. She watched people rise and fall. She learned to work hard and overcome fear. She learned to handle defeat gracefully, but most of all, she learned by watching Courtney, to bet on her own horse! To trust God, take her future into her own hands, disregard what the critics say, and follow the "still, small voice."

After being on SE in 2012, she decided to leave the gym to work on her studies. She was being recruited for academic scholarships by great universities. Many people thought she (we) was/were being foolish and that she was snubbing SE. But, during that time, she taught herself computer code (she wants to be a software engineer), she took seven of the hardest classes in school, and maintained a 5.4 gpa.

She's back this year, and because she spent the entire year on the sofa studying, did not make SE. She also suffered a knee injury and had to have surgery. But, because, as the Bible says; "ALL things work for the good of those who love God and serve according to his purposes." One of her favorite coaches, (team Sarah!!!) asked her to fill in on her Worlds team, stunting only ( she has not been cleared to tumble). She was honored! We came back because after eight years, Cheer Extreme Allstars is her/our home! Everyone she loves is there! Kids she helped to teach to fly when they were on YE are now on JE and SE! She wants to say goodbye before leaving for college. @mstealtoyou is there. Her SE sisters are there, too!

About the uniforms and glitter. I don't know what will happen with Allstar cheer. Life is circular. It has ebbs and flows. I believe this trend will die down, just as it is swelling right now. Parenting is a verb. You have to instill in your children a strong sense of who they are and why they are at their gym. You have to be willing to speak up, if you feel something is detrimental to your kid. I don't know what else to tell you.

I believe we have won more than we lost doing allstar cheer. My CP told me that she has had a better cheer career than most kids who are more obviously talented than she! She's won almost every major championship at least once and has friends all over the World! She said that she has been coached by the most brilliant coach she has ever seen; and participated in co-creating some of the most innovative stunts ever witnessed in Allstar cheer! Her knee was a casualty, and eventually, from all the lifting, her back will be (she's complained about it for years), too. But, all in all, we have been blessed!

Last edited:
krista-o.gif

Ok...I didn't mean to stop the thread! Quick! Somebody post something else!!!!

I like to think there's a happy medium between the more athletic pursuits and a certain amount of pageantry. I'd like to also think that as things become more regulated and streamlined, that it could get less expensive for the lower levels.

Just a reference on cost. Most any sport with this time commitment costs a lot of money so don't think just because your future athletes don't take up cheer their new found hobby of hockey, competitive karate, team gymnastics, equestrian etc can't or won't cost as much if not more. Just an example, I know a hockey family that used to take out a $10,000 line of credit every year for his son to play hockey. Yes it is expensive but it could be worse.

I live in Minnesota where people strategize on WHEN in the year to have children, so they can thrive as the oldest on the Hockey team. I can definitely see people spending that kind of cash on hockey. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I like to think there's a happy medium between the more athletic pursuits and a certain amount of pageantry. I'd like to also think that as things become more regulated and streamlined, that it could get less expensive for the lower levels.

I hope so!! i know it may sound like i'm a walking contradiction since i say i love the sport and then write posts essentially bashing it... change is hard and usually a long bumpy road. i also sometimes forget how "young" cheerleading is and that it will take time to grow and mature. i really hope they find a way to get back to their roots, while still growing and moving towards the future. so long as the right people are in charge, it'll happen. eventually.

Last edited:
I hope so!! i know it may sound like i'm a walking contradiction since i say i love the sport and then write posts essentially bashing it... change is hard and usually a long bumpy road. i also sometimes forget how "young" cheerleading is and that it will take time to grow and mature. i really hope they find a way to get back to their roots, while still growing and moving towards the future. so long as the right people are in charge, it'll happen. eventually.

We all do. While cheering in various forms has been around a while, what we're doing is VERY young compared to the other disciplines we talk about here. Every sport goes through difficult times. Gymnastics had to adjust to an entirely new point system. American football has been under massive scrutiny due to referee calls in a supposedly objective sport. Wrestling was almost taken out of the Olympic games.

I think we're hitting our own growth spurt which comes with growing pains. Change is uncomfortable but necessary.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I am doing it all over again! My husband says I should have my head examined. Sometimes I tell people I joined a cult called All-Star Cheer but it's my crazy cult and I still love it. There is almost 9 years between my girls. My younger daughter started cheer the year before my oldest went to college. The funny thing is I was pretty adamant that my younger daughter found her own way and picked her own "sport" because I didn't want her to live in her older sisters shadow but in spite of all the different sports she tried....this is the one she picked. Go figure?

I haven't posted in a while but this thread pulled me in. I "think" we would do it again, but there are a few things I would change.

1. I would insist on gymnastics/tumbling training first/concurrently at a gymnastics facility. I would insist on proper technique in everything and perfection before progression, including proper technique in stretching.

2. I would put her in dance to supplement cheer at an early age. Not competitive, just dance lessons.

3. I would completely change the way I parented. I would step off and let her learn how to deal with coaches and other athletes by herself, only giving input at her request.

4. I would drop off as much as possible and just be her cheerleader instead of coach mom.

5. I wouldn't allow her to skip a level.

6. I would encourage being a well-rounded cheerleader instead of trying to excel at one area of the score sheet.
THIS. I hate having to explain to gymnasts why our tumbling is so janky.

Back