Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SharkDad

Most Positive, Best Parent '12
Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 15, 2009
If you didn't know the NACCC is hosting the Doral Coaches conference this week. Here is a link to the Agenda: 2012 NACCC Coaches Retreat | Facebook

As you can see they are discussing a number of topics starting tomorrow. I posted this on the event Facebook as well as the A.S.G.A Facebook earlier:

To all the coaches/gym owners attending Doral this week, I have a challenge for you: Don't just talk about issues this year like many other years - FIND SOLUTIONS.

They are there and easy to figure out if you truly want to make things better. Many of them are obvious, some will take collective collaborative work from all of you. This isn't just my challenge, I know it is the voice of feedback
from parents and athletes throughout the sport. The fundamental problem with this sport today is that the membership does not drive the sport, corperations do.
YOU are the membership that matters, not the EPs or any other cheer companies out there. YOU should get together and decide what is safe, what are standard rules, how to standardize the scoresheets, how to standardize judging. I hope YOU can find a way to make membership matter - NOW, not in another 5 year plan.
I pray the wisdom and leadership that will be present will seek to make things better, not continue down the same path. I am still available to help, if ever asked.

This thread is to post updates on any discussions that happen on at Doral and for all of you to provide meaningful (not just complaining) feedback to the coaches and leadership as they discuss the future of the sport.

DJ it looks like you will be connected. I hope you'll share your updates here as well.

I think you attempted to inspire with your post to the ASGA in reference to the Doral conference, but ultimately were disrespectful and quite ignorant. Honestly, to infer than in years past no issues have been resolved and only spoken about is quite absurd. Maybe you should go and be a part of it to find out what really goes on instead of deciding that nothing happens.

I think you attempted to inspire with your post to the ASGA in reference to the Doral conference, but ultimately were disrespectful and quite ignorant. Honestly, to infer than in years past no issues have been resolved and only spoken about is quite absurd. Maybe you should go and be a part of it to find out what really goes on instead of deciding that nothing happens.

Ouch!

I never inferred in this post that no issues were resolved in the past. I did very clearly state that

The fundamental problem with this sport today is that the membership does not drive the sport, corperations do.

That is the fact I hope people get mad at and find ways to solve it.

The following is where you made the reference to nothing being done in the past
Don't just talk about issues this year like many other years - FIND SOLUTIONS.

I took that as he was speaking to the NACCC. How many times has Doral (or any other meeting) brought up issues that are never heard about again? Issues are brought up and then nothing is ever resolved.

Ahhh, I see what you are focusing on. Again, I didn't infer that nothing has been fixed in the past but I think you can't deny than many subjects that have been discussed for multiple years have not been resolved.

I took that as he was speaking to the NACCC. How many times has Doral (or any other meeting) brought up issues that are never heard about again? Issues are brought up and then nothing is ever resolved.
I agree that issues are brought up, but the process is far beyond reaching a conclusion within a two day period of time.

Ahhh, I see what you are focusing on. Again, I didn't infer that nothing has been fixed in the past but I think you can't deny than many subjects that have been discussed for multiple years have not been resolved.
Agreed. And you did infer, sorry to say, even if it was not your intention.

I agree that issues are brought up, but the process is far beyond reaching a conclusion within a two day period of time.

I agree that a conclusion can't necessarily be reached in 2 days, but is there ever an attempt to actually fix our problems? Who can say?

If they only discuss the problems for 2 days every year then you're right, they will never get fixed. That's part of the problem.

They can decide they want them fixed, create a plan, then do work and follow up until the problem is fixed.

I appreciated your post, SharkDad, as it touched on a very clear issue that many of us are facing. We DON'T know that you're finding ways to fix problems. I watched many (if not all) of the regional meetings last year that were webcast, and I watched the major live webcast they had as well. I saw many things discussed, but I didn't necessarily see a resolution on anything. That's not to say it didn't happen, certainly, but if it did, would we know? Do we know? It's easy to say 'Maybe you should go to a meeting,' but would I be allowed? I'm not a coach or gym owner, just a fan (a fan with barely enough extra cash to get a new pair of shoes, never mind find my way around the country to attend these meetings :D), would I be let in? There is a lack of transparency, particularly in the fact that you don't know how your gym owner voted/what they discussed/etc, unless they told you personally or you watched the webcast to get a general idea (depending on the region, you only got a glimpse of some of the discussions had per item). The only 'results' from meetings are reflected at voting time, and even then they don't quite address some of the more major issues (I personally don't think Youth 5 doubles are as important as, say, athlete registration, sandbagging, the International division issues, etc). If there are other results, please share them with us. We may be lowly athletes/parents/fans, but we are still the base of your gym. If I don't feel like the USASF is doing enough, I'd like to know the coaches are and what they're doing!

Yes, issues such as level 2 teams competing all girl and coed in same division. So annoying. Regardless of what people tell me, guys and girls are judged differently.

Yes, issues such as level 2 teams competing all girl and coed in same division. So annoying. Regardless of what people tell me, guys and girls are judged differently.
XpressJag, I don't feel like they need to be divided at that level but I do feel that level 5 kids should not be on level 2 teams 4 years in a row, of course they are gonna be better and score higher if you get my drift without me saying it ;);)

Back