OT Dorms:)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
So quick questions.
At my school you can either do bunk beds, jr loft (raises the bed up but not as high as a normal loft. High enough to fit a dresser) or have a normal bed. Which option do you think works the best? I think me an my roommate are going to do the jr. loft. But my only concern with that is, where do you put the tv and microwave and stuff then? Because the dresser is under the bed and there is no room to put things on top of it...sorry if that makes no sense.
You'd put the TV either on top of a desk, TV stand, or bookshelf. The microwave could fit on top of a mini fridge if y'all have one.

So quick questions.
At my school you can either do bunk beds, jr loft (raises the bed up but not as high as a normal loft. High enough to fit a dresser) or have a normal bed. Which option do you think works the best? I think me an my roommate are going to do the jr. loft. But my only concern with that is, where do you put the tv and microwave and stuff then? Because the dresser is under the bed and there is no room to put things on top of it...sorry if that makes no sense.

Ditto what cheerforever said! Our dorms put the microwave on top of the fridge, too.
And is it like a traditional bunk bed? Because we get two "bunk beds" but they have a desk underneath. I think that is a great space saver, so maybe you could even do that if you had a lofted bed (unless they have built in desks). But then you could put the dresser across from the beds and put the TV on top.

Ditto what cheerforever said! Our dorms put the microwave on top of the fridge, too.
And is it like a traditional bunk bed? Because we get two "bunk beds" but they have a desk underneath. I think that is a great space saver, so maybe you could even do that if you had a lofted bed (unless they have built in desks). But then you could put the dresser across from the beds and put the TV on top.

Yup their traditional bunk beds. And for some weird reason we can't do the normal loft, where the beds up real high. Just the "jr loft" :/

dorm.jpg

Here's mine from last year... although my room got rearranged and I eventually moved down the hall halfway through the year but here's a rough estimate of what it looked like for a little while at least.
sorry to hijack this thread but do you go to Pitt? that's where I go and this looks exactly like one of the dorm rooms there! haha

I'll probably post stuff on this board just so I can come back and find it easier :p SORRY FOR THE SPAM!

Love the lamp idea
tumblr_m4jbxkbqCt1rwcluao1_500.jpg

Colors! And how they covered the chairs
tumblr_m6oavjeB6d1qjpd3ao1_500.jpg

Like the beds like this, and the Christmas lights
tumblr_m3ijf6sH5W1qjpd3ao1_500.jpg

Before you buy lights, make sure your school allows them. My school didn't allow a variety of lights (esp the string, or twinkle-style lights) because they're a serious fire hazard. Tons of girls brought those in freshman year and had to throw them out because they couldn't use them. No need to waste that money!

Also, I'd suggest talking to your roommate to figure out what each of you is buying, for a few reasons. The first being that you don't want/need 2, 3, or 4 of everything, obviously. Secondly, (this mostly applies to bedding), you don't wanna have two patterns or colors that totally clash and will make your head hurt. I remember one room in particular freshman year that was just so mismatching it was painful to be in there for more than 5 minutes. So ya, keep that in mind as you start planning!!

Also, I'd suggest talking to your roommate to figure out what each of you is buying, for a few reasons. this mostly applies to bedding, you don't wanna have two patterns or colors that totally clash and will make your head hurt.

When I was in college (80-83), this was a huge issue with me and my fraternity brother roommate.

:rolleyes:

Does anyone have a list of shared items you and your roommate had? I'm trying to figure out what we need so the costs can get split evenly. So far we have:
TV
Fridge
Vacuum
Fans
A water filtration pitcher

Does anyone have a list of shared items you and your roommate had? I'm trying to figure out what we need so the costs can get split evenly. So far we have:
TV
Fridge
Vacuum
Fans
A water filtration pitcher

A rug or any extra furniture you need, maybe plates, hangers, little things like that. I think it all depends on how well you know your roommate.

Also, COLLEGE TIP: I saw this on pinterest or tumblr, but these girls would save their old gatorade and water bottles and then fill them up with milk, juice, and soda from the cafeterias. I always thought that was a great tip and a little way to save some money.

Also, COLLEGE TIP: I saw this on pinterest or tumblr, but these girls would save their old gatorade and water bottles and then fill them up with milk, juice, and soda from the cafeterias. I always thought that was a great tip and a little way to save some money.

Ahaha, thats what I do, saves so much money. I also "steal" all the apples, oranges, bananas and kiwis I can from the dining halls. Crowning achievement once was 11 kiwis in my coat pockets. I take coffee stirrers, sugar packets, salt and pepper, and tea packets from the dining halls. Also, if you can do it, I'd suggest BORROWING some plates, cups, bowls and utensils from the dining halls so long as you return them at the end of the year. That way you don't have to buy them yourself. And if you're really lazy, once you use them in your room, bring them back and get new ones so you don't have to wash them. Guys, don't judge me though, I'm just getting what I feel is my moneys worth from this required $4,000 unlimited dining hall plan -___-

Ahhh! I can't wait to post pics of my apartment! I wish I had my old phone because it had really nice pics of my freshman dorm on it.

cheeeeer93 Not sure what you already have access to but some of the stuff my roomie and I shared:
-printer
-swiffer wetjet (We had all tile floors)
-seating (We had 2 of these just if we had friends over and they were also good because you could put stuff inside them and shove them under a bed. You can get them at TJMax or Homegoods for half the price. )
-one big trash can
-coffee maker
-curtains (depending on if you have only one window)
-DVD Player

OMG. GENIUS. Definitely doing that when I go back to school tho semester.

Back