High School Double Downs @ Hs Level

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 3, 2011
Does anyone know when the new NFHS rules are decided? I am interested to see if they decide to take double downs out of high school cheer. I know there was a "warning" for this season.

I have a feeling that HS Cheer is going to become even more restricted in the next 2 to 3 years.

@Jessica Why would you want doubles to be taken away? I understand that not all teams can double from cretin body positions, but why limit teams that can successfully execute those skills? For example from a team i coached in the past...Freshman team was only allowed to strait cradle, JV was only allowed to single twist, and Varsity was allowed to double. Its all about progression!

Yes it definitely is about progression! I don't necessarily want it to vanish completely, I just feel bad for my girls because we they aren't at the point yet to double from single legs. So I guess what they should do is have some sort of different levels in high school just like all star.

i would hate if they didnt allow double down in highschool! all of the flyers on my team this year double we actually forgot how to single down haha

Ahh I wish that were the case with my girls! They can only single down. But they can double from halfs :)

Does anyone know when the new NFHS rules are decided? I am interested to see if they decide to take double downs out of high school cheer. I know there was a "warning" for this season.
The only reason why I hope this does happen is for safety reasons! So many high school teams try to double down from one legged stunts and get seriously injured because they dont have proper technique. Sure, they're are some teams out their that have proper technique and know how to properly double out of one legged stunts, but I would rather have them single beautifully then have other teams injure themselves trying to get on their level!

The only reason why I hope this does happen is for safety reasons! So many high school teams try to double down from one legged stunts and get seriously injured because they dont have proper technique. Sure, they're are some teams out their that have proper technique and know how to properly double out of one legged stunts, but I would rather have them single beautifully then have other teams injure themselves trying to get on their level!

Completely agree! Well said!

Look at the coaching in HS...Most of the time it's the art or history teacher looking to make a few extra bucks a semester and has NO CLUE on how to properly coach cheerleading. Sure, they get certified, but until you really put the time into learning how to really coach our sport they are burned out from HS Cheer.

I love working with new coaches on how proper technique should be used.

I understand the safety issue completely. At the same time though, there are plenty of very competitive high school programs out there, with coaches who are fully capable of teaching double downs and other advanced skills. There is a place for high school cheer at an advanced level- coaches need to be aware of how to train their athletes properly, just as in any other sport.

i would hate it if they took away doubles from hs cheerleading!!!! :( before they try to restrict hs even more, they should make less restrictions on pyramids in hs! i would love to be able to do cool pyramids on my hs team!

They made so many changes for last season, I would be surprised if they made more already. They just took away double downs along with other restrictions for non high school teams (Junior high/rec).

i think at some point safety needs to be left up to the coaches. if they keep restricting everything, it takes away the athletism of it. everyone knows cheerleading is dangerous when they sign up. by all means be safe, but if you know you can do it then rock it out!!

Yeah it should definitely be left up to the coaches...If they can't pull off a double every time, then don't put it in your routine and risk getting hurt! That's what I do with my girls! Safety is key, and so is being clean!

Back