High School Double Downs @ Hs Level

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

AACCA cert is $75....that's not a budget breaker. Schools that don't have certified coaches at the time would have to pay for that certification. But after that, it's a requirement to apply for the job-anyone who applies will have it, and pay for it them self.

AACCA cert is $75....that's not a budget breaker. Schools that don't have certified coaches at the time would have to pay for that certification. But after that, it's a requirement to apply for the job-anyone who applies will have it, and pay for it them self.

That sounds reasonable. $75 isn't a "budget breaker" but cheerleading programs that hire volunteer coaches don't pay for anything at all. You would be surprised how many volunteer coaches there are. If states offer coaching certification, would it still be necessary to have AACA/NFHS cheer cert?

What states offer cheerleading specific coaches training? Cause I don't know any where it's not AACCA, NFHS, or there is just no certification required at all. There is none required at all in my state.

I'm in CT - they offer cheerleading specific seminar/sessions for state certified coaches. The GA cheer coaches website also offers a wealth of resources. www.georgiacheer.com They show videos for rules interpretation that I revisit from time to time. They also offer cheer training/coaching for their members.

I'm in CT - they offer cheerleading specific seminar/sessions for state certified coaches. The GA cheer coaches website also offers a wealth of resources. www.georgiacheer.com They show videos for rules interpretation that I revisit from time to time. They also offer cheer training/coaching for their members.
That's cool. Are you required to be certified in CT in order to coach?

Here's my stance on things like this and this will never change:
Coaches in a sport like this always need to be proactive in learning rules and regulations and learn new ways to be safer. Also there isn't an excuse to not be certified to to show that you have what its takes to lead a team through a happy and productive cheer season

Remember a coach isnt like any other job:
When your working at Burger King and you let a shake hit the floor, you clean it up and make another one
When your coaching cheerleading and a cheerleader hits the floor, its not quite so easy

PullandPray...I agree. I think if coaches were certified/credentialed, it would make the HS cheering environment safer and allow teams to progress to the level their coach is capable of taking them to. Unfortunately TOO many states don't regulate at all and allow teams to do whatever they want. I actually had to politely ask a visiting team's coach to not allow the girls to stunt underneath the basket, inches from where the team was warming up. (More than once a ball almost took down a shaky heel stretch!) Upon requesting, I was told "I've been coaching for 20 years and NO ONE has even told me that this wasn't OK!" Scary.

I wish the state of PA would regulate cheerleading more. We were at a basketball game this past season and the opposing team's cheerleaders did a tuck toss on the gym floor. :eek:

Do you have video/photos? When this happens, you need to do the following:
1. Inform the other coach that the skill is illegal (I always keep a few extra copies of the AACCA rules for the current year in my bag).
2. If the coach is not open to what you're saying, contact your Athletic Director and see if they will contact the AD of that school.
3. Contact Jim Lord

Well me being an actual HS cheerleader, for my team we double out of every body position as were gettin there we had girls diving head first. You actually have to give step by step like starting on a trampoline. that help then slowly move to the floor ! but most people catch on to the method pretty easily.

Do you have video/photos? When this happens, you need to do the following:
1. Inform the other coach that the skill is illegal (I always keep a few extra copies of the AACCA rules for the current year in my bag).
2. If the coach is not open to what you're saying, contact your Athletic Director and see if they will contact the AD of that school.
3. Contact Jim Lord

Videos were posted all over facebook at the time and the school's coach and AD were standing there. Who is Jim Lord?

I am trying to insert a picture but I keep getting a red X. I found one from a football game where it was performed on the sidelines.

Videos were posted all over facebook at the time and the school's coach and AD were standing there. Who is Jim Lord?

Jim Lord is the Executive Director of the AACCA (which handles cheer safety). AACCA/NFHS publish the annual cheer safety rules for rec, school and college.
You can't rely on Athletic Directors to know cheerleading safety rules, most of them don't even know that there ARE safety rules for cheer.

Here is the contact info:
http://www.aacca.org/content.aspx?item=Contact.xml

AACCA rules - Section D - Partner Stunts
D.6 - The total number of twists in a dismount from a stunt cannot be greater than 2 and 1/4 rotations.
SectionH - Basketball/indoor court restrictions
H.3 - Released twists into or from stunts or pyramids are prohibited.
Section I - Elementary, Middle and Junior High are restricted to twists in a dismount to 1 1/4 rotations

Back