All-Star Drinking Pictures On Fb?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's the gym's business when Susie comes to practice or a comp hungover or high.
My friend was on a team 2 seasons ago, that had a 2 day competition in Palm Springs the same weekend as Winter Formal. A girl on her team competed Saturday then left went to Winter Formal, got drunk and didn't bother to show up Day 2 and the team had to compete without her. Needless to say, she was kicked off/quit the team.

The law is STILL catching up to the social media concept. What REALLY is private/public? ....................

Just because they have no right to police what you do outside the gym, doesn't mean they don't have the right to decide you're not the type of customer they want..it's their choice to decide that your actions don't reflect well on the gym's image. And frankly- I drank in HS. I just wasn't dumb enough to get caught. If you are, or are dumb enough to post pictures of yourself, you deserve all the punishment the world can bestow upon you. They used to call that natural selection..

Maybe it will help if I explain how we use this information. I agree that I would be naieve to consider that underage drinking doesn't happen. That, IMO is an area of concern best left to you and your parents. But think of this example...

I work in Information Technology. I am fully aware and accept that your generation is far more internet-savvy than I am or ever want to be. I NEED YOUR SKILLS. So why does my Human Resources department check your Facebook? Think about it. If you ARE more savvy than me, and you make a decision to post photos of yourself doing something illegal on Facebook, that means one of two things:

1) You know how to use the internet but aren't well-informed on the capabilities of the technology (eternal retention of data) and the impact that has - personally, legally and from a technology perspective.
2) You aren't a forward-thinker and/or don't make wise decisions. And I need my teams to make wise decisions every day as part of their job.

I'm not being critical. Believe me, Jac and I have gone round and round on this topic. I am just trying to give you an example of how infringement on your privacy isn't the only reason for employers to do this. It's harsh, but it is reality. If you have posted Facebook photos like that, your resume will never make it to my desk. It will be filed in the 'circular file' - the can alongside the HR rep's desk.

chyeeaaa69 said:
I just don't understand how it's any of their business unless you've acquired a criminal record from it...

What YOU THINK is right and what IS right are clearly 2 different things. I don't often make black and white statements about other people's opinions but remember this conversation one day when you are older.

1. When I drank in HS (yes many people do) I didn't take a picture, paste it on my bedroom door/locker at school then tell people of authority, "Mind your own business"

2. With how Facebook statuses get liked and tweets get retweeted, a private picture can become public, if not viral in no time, with your company name all over someone's shirt or uniform. A gym should not try to control your behavior, but they have every right to protect their brand.

No one is telling kids to not have fun, but don't be silly and publicize yourself breaking the law.

You really need to think about this one, is a few drinks and pictures worth what you might loose because of it. In high school i went out to parties and drank, as most teenagers do but i was not friends with my coaches. I did have a few staff members from the gym(old coaches, tumbling instructors, ect.) as friends but i had my settings set so the couldn't see tagged pictures of me in case a picture did get put up. I never put pictures of myself or my friends up that had any alcohol or drugs in them and always untagged myself from pictures that others put up. You can't stop people from taking these pictures and putting them online but you can prevent yourself from getting in trouble for it. Teenagers are going to do it no matter what their parents, coaches and we tell them, just be smart about it.

What YOU THINK is right and what IS right are clearly 2 different things. I don't often make black and white statements about other people's opinions but remember this conversation one day when you are older.

1. When I drank in HS (yes many people do) I didn't take a picture, paste it on my bedroom door/locker at school then tell people of authority, "Mind your own business"

2. With how Facebook statuses get liked and tweets get retweeted, a private picture can become public, if not viral in no time, with your company name all over someone's shirt or uniform. A gym should not try to control your behavior, but they have every right to protect their brand.

No one is telling kids to not have fun, but don't be silly and publicize yourself breaking the law.

My major point in my larger post was the fact that outside of the gym and competitions and such, a coach is NOT a position of authority in my life. I respect all coaches as a position of authority when I am in the gym, or at an event, and if I coached (the kids I coached in gym were far too young to be drinking at a meet or event) I would expect the same, but IN MY OPINION (which, no, is not wrong, it's an opinion) is that what I do when I'm not directly associated with the gym (as I said, practices, public events, competitions, whatever they may be) is not the business of coaches. Parents, police, etc. that's another issue, but coaches are not a figure of authority in my world when I'm not under their care.

ETA: that should not be confused with not respecting a coach, I would listen to what they have to say about things I am doing, but suggestions and orders are 2 different things, and I would not take an ORDER from a coach if I'm not at an event.

I'm still baffled as to why there are still people on Facebook that don't have "Fort Knox" security settings. I check for security changes pretty much weekly....When in doubt, select "only me".

As far as drinking pictures on Facebook....if you do it...you need to go. Goodbye. (I would explain further but everyone else that takes the same stance summed it up quite nicely)

You're also putting at risk losing scholarships and college admissions.

Maybe it will help if I explain how we use this information. I agree that I would be naieve to consider that underage drinking doesn't happen. That, IMO is an area of concern best left to you and your parents. But think of this example...

I work in Information Technology. I am fully aware and accept that your generation is far more internet-savvy than I am or ever want to be. I NEED YOUR SKILLS. So why does my Human Resources department check your Facebook? Think about it. If you ARE more savvy than me, and you make a decision to post photos of yourself doing something illegal on Facebook, that means one of two things:

1) You know how to use the internet but aren't well-informed on the capabilities of the technology (eternal retention of data) and the impact that has - personally, legally and from a technology perspective.
2) You aren't a forward-thinker and/or don't make wise decisions. And I need my teams to make wise decisions every day as part of their job.

I'm not being critical. Believe me, Jac and I have gone round and round on this topic. I am just trying to give you an example of how infringement on your privacy isn't the only reason for employers to do this. It's harsh, but it is reality. If you have posted Facebook photos like that, your resume will never make it to my desk. It will be filed in the 'circular file' - the can alongside the HR rep's desk.
I concur. My brother is 18, and he has ZERO concept of how online behavior affects his real life. Colleges CAN and DO search for you, because think about it: who wants to invite a perpetual party kid to their school? They're not buying books, going to class, doing what they should be doing (meaning more trouble for campus security and authority). Why waste a scholarship on someone who looks like they can't keep themselves together?

At my old gym, we had kids who came in hungover EVERY Saturday practice AND we had kids who would come to practice higher than a kite. I hated being around them. What I hated more it knowing that they partied with the COACHES the night before and thats why the coaches didnt care... because they were just as hungover and high as the kids were!

When I own my own gym, you get one. If I see them smoking/drinking/doing drugs, I will call in a meeting with them AND their parents. If they continue to do it, then theyll be out of the gym. I think thats fair enough.
Sure, you can experiment, youre young, why not? But only once buckaroo. ;D

My major point in my larger post was the fact that outside of the gym and competitions and such, a coach is NOT a position of authority in my life. I respect all coaches as a position of authority when I am in the gym, or at an event, and if I coached (the kids I coached in gym were far too young to be drinking at a meet or event) I would expect the same, but IN MY OPINION (which, no, is not wrong, it's an opinion) is that what I do when I'm not directly associated with the gym (as I said, practices, public events, competitions, whatever they may be) is not the business of coaches. Parents, police, etc. that's another issue, but coaches are not a figure of authority in my world when I'm not under their care.

ETA: that should not be confused with not respecting a coach, I would listen to what they have to say about things I am doing, but suggestions and orders are 2 different things, and I would not take an ORDER from a coach if I'm not at an event.

They are not your authority and you don't have to listen to them, but if they do not want you in their gym for doing what you are doing they have that right, especially if what you are doing is breaking the law. It isn't about them being an authority you have to listen to at all times, it is about them being able to protect themselves and their gyms name/reputation.

Just know that if something happens and you are in trouble, those pictures on facebook of you drinking underage can come back to bite you in the butt because they can be used against you.
I'm still baffled as to why there are still people on Facebook that don't have "Fort Knox" security settings. I check for security changes pretty much weekly....When in doubt, select "only me".
The amount of athletes who have their facebooks open to the public while posting such things is shocking. There are a few that cheer for some of the big gyms or schools who have it to where anyone and their mom and can see everything. Gotta love being able to see the pictures of their post win drinking party.

Okay quick question. My friend brought up a point and I wondered how people felt about it. Sparing the "it's still illegal" comments, do you think because America's legal drinking age is so high? Here it's 19, in some provinces 18, so drinking at age 17-18 is a bit different as there isn't much of a significant difference between being 18 and being 19, providing you mature at a normal rate. Does it make a difference or?

Okay quick question. My friend brought up a point and I wondered how people felt about it. Sparing the "it's still illegal" comments, do you think because America's legal drinking age is so high? Here it's 19, in some provinces 18, so drinking at age 17-18 is a bit different as there isn't much of a significant difference between being 18 and being 19, providing you mature at a normal rate. Does it make a difference or?
There was a lot of controversy when the legal age started changing from 18-21 state by state in the U.S. This started around the time the Vietnam War was winding down and the common protest was "I am old enough to die for my country but not old enough to drink?"

The argument used by proponents was that increasing the drinking age would reduce the number of traffic fatalities, as youthful drivers made up a large portion of those deaths. This was eventually proven to be true, as fatal accidents did decrease with the drinking age increase, per the media, insurance companies and law enforcement.

There was a lot of controversy when the legal age started changing from 18-21 state by state in the U.S. This started around the time the Vietnam War was winding down and the common protest was "I am old enough to die for my country but not old enough to drink?"

The argument used by proponents was that reducing the drinking age would reduce the number of traffic fatalities, as youthful drivers made up a large portion of those deaths. This was eventually proven to be true, as fatal accidents did decrease with the drinking age increase, per the media, insurance companies and law enforcement.

I don't know if I'm getting the right point of your post, but my post was meant as like... since the drinking age is 21 in the USA, do you think there's a bigger deal made about 17-18 year olds drinking whereas here our legal drinking age is 19, so there may be less?

To me if they are still underage it is the same as if they are 16. It isn't so much about them doing it, I know that people underage do it, the problem is broadcasting it all over the internet. Once you are of legal age you tend to not need to brag about drinking on facebook, or at least that was my experience with people I know.

If you are somewhere that the legal age is lower then 21 and you are then legal then drink up, but when you get home don't post it all over facebook for the world to see, it is just tacky.

At my old gym, we had kids who came in hungover EVERY Saturday practice AND we had kids who would come to practice higher than a kite. I hated being around them. What I hated more it knowing that they partied with the COACHES the night before and thats why the coaches didnt care... because they were just as hungover and high as the kids were!

When I own my own gym, you get one. If I see them smoking/drinking/doing drugs, I will call in a meeting with them AND their parents. If they continue to do it, then theyll be out of the gym. I think thats fair enough.
Sure, you can experiment, youre young, why not? But only once buckaroo. ;D
OMG!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back