Dropping A Level

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 22, 2012
Hi. I just found out that my gym may be dropping us from a Junior 3 to a Junior 2. My daughter is on three teams: Open 5, Senior 4.2 and previously the Junior 3. The reason we are dropping is because as a whole we don't have the skills in place to be a Junior 2 due to ages of girls and basic tumbling skills. Would you keep your daughter on the team to help the gym if her skills were way beyond a level 2 team (double, triple to double, etc)? During tryouts I had said no to any level 1 and level 2 teams, but now they want us to accept the change with grace. Do you make your daughter stay on the team for the sake of the gym and team or do you let her drop the team because she never signed up for that level?

Forget the fact that you have a L5 kid on a L2 team, if they need to have one kid crossover on to 3 teams maybe they shouldn't have so many teams. IMO

To your original question, I wouldn't let her compete on an L2. To many chances for her to get hurt.

I agree with CheerDadof2 , if they need to put a L5 cheerleader on a L2 team that's already on 2 other teams...that just makes it seem like they have too many teams. I would just drop the team and let them know it's too much on her.

Forget the levels. I can't figure out how a kid can fit into the age divisions for both Open and Junior teams - Open requires being at least 15 by Aug 31 2012 and Junior requires being 14 and under on that same date. Am I missing something?

Forget the levels. I can't figure out how a kid can fit into the age divisions for both Open and Junior teams - Open requires being at least 15 by Aug 31 2012 and Junior requires being 14 and under on that same date. Am I missing something?

Sorry Restricted 5 - She's 10

It sounds like you are at a very small gym and they are just trying to fill teams. If your daughter is happy and having fun...go for it.

Hi. I just found out that my gym may be dropping us from a Junior 3 to a Junior 2. My daughter is on three teams: Open 5, Senior 4.2 and previously the Junior 3. The reason we are dropping is because as a whole we don't have the skills in place to be a Junior 2 due to ages of girls and basic tumbling skills. Would you keep your daughter on the team to help the gym if her skills were way beyond a level 2 team (double, triple to double, etc)? During tryouts I had said no to any level 1 and level 2 teams, but now they want us to accept the change with grace. Do you make your daughter stay on the team for the sake of the gym and team or do you let her drop the team because she never signed up for that level?

If you are saying that her tumbling should place her out of a Level 2 team, then I am confused as to why you allowed her to be on a 4.2 team where she will be throwing BHS as well.

Just do what is best for your daughter. Weigh out the pros and cons of each decision and write them down. Then schedule some time to talk to the coach about it all. Together, you can make the best decision for your daughter and her teams.

If the L2 team really would get hurt if they lost her, I would stay. But, if they could easily be fine without her it would probably be easier to drop the team, since that is a lot to have on your plate.

We used to make all of our decisions in the best interest of our CPs program.....yeah, we don't do that anymore. It's about what's best for our kid...not someone else's program. If you start making decisions based on what's best for them, they start to just assume you'll always do that...and that's a recipe to be used for someone else's advantage.

As an aside, if she's got those kind of skills, itll be hard to justify her being on a level 2 team as anything other than sandbagging. My sons jr 2 got beat for best of level 2 at states by another gym who's sr 2 was stacked with several kids from their level 5 team...who also crossed to their level 4. We saw one guy compete with the 2,3,4 and 5 that day (this was two seasons ago) and he was in the sr 2 that beat our legit j2. That never goes over well.

Back