OT East Coast And West Coast Advice!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 26, 2010
Hope this is in the right place. (Been here since 2010 but don't post much!)

Just looking for some advice from you all! I'm coming over from the UK to the states this summer to work, I have the month of August off to travel and I want to see as many states as possible. I will be working in Cleveland, GA 2 months beforehand and flying home from New York a month later.

I know the states I want to visit, Texas, Florida, California, Nevada (basically all the tourist states!)

Anyone have any towns/city's/must-sees in those states?

Also what's the best way to travel? Cheap websites to use? I've heard amtrack and greyhounds are an option as well as the obvious flying. (money-wise, being a student I haven't got all the money in the world!) When is best to book these? Whilst I'm in the UK now? Or leave it till I'm in the states?

Car rentals in those states that rent to under 21s would also be great!

All advice appreciated! Thank you!

Just looking for some advice from you all! I'm coming over from the UK to the states this summer to work, I have the month of August off to travel and I want to see as many states as possible. I will be working in Cleveland, GA 2 months beforehand and flying home from New York a month later.

I know the states I want to visit, Texas, Florida, California, Nevada (basically all the tourist states!)

Also what's the best way to travel? Cheap websites to use? I've heard amtrack and greyhounds are an option as well as the obvious flying. (money-wise, being a student I haven't got all the money in the world!) When is best to book these? Whilst I'm in the UK now? Or leave it till I'm in the states?

Most places don't do car rentals under 21. I'm not really sure of any that do, and it may depend on the area.
Megabus is probably the cheapest way to travel depending on where you're going, when I was in Washington DC a few years ago we took the mega bus to NYC for under $15 a ticket.

Not saying you haven't thought about it, but I know some people who come here from the UK or Europe don't realize how big the US is. Just for example, driving from Miami, FL to San Francisco CA is about 45 hours without any stops. Just something to think about, though I would still recommend taking the time to drive across the country. It really is beautiful and the diversity of landscapes in the states between the coasts is amazing.

I would recommend DC if you want some history. Trip down to Orlando perhaps while working in GA. Agree Mega Bus may be a great way to travel along east coast cheaply. Unless you have a lot of money for airfare CA and Texas and Nevada might be difficult especially because it is the same time when schools are out here for vacations so airfare seems to be higher but there are some low cost fare options. What in particular are you interested in seeing and doing?

Most places don't do car rentals under 21. I'm not really sure of any that do, and it may depend on the area.
Megabus is probably the cheapest way to travel depending on where you're going, when I was in Washington DC a few years ago we took the mega bus to NYC for under $15 a ticket.

Thank you! I will look into Megabus! We have found a place to rent to us in Orlando, which is fairly reasonable but we have to pay extra $14 dollars a day because of our age!

Yes! I forgot to mention DC, that is somewhere all of us have never been.

Not saying you haven't thought about it, but I know some people who come here from the UK or Europe don't realize how big the US is. Just for example, driving from Miami, FL to San Francisco CA is about 45 hours without any stops. Just something to think about, though I would still recommend taking the time to drive across the country. It really is beautiful and the diversity of landscapes in the states between the coasts is amazing.

Thank you! It's ok, we know the size, my friend is flying home from LAX rather than NY with us, so we have a flight booked to there already.

We're hoping to drive to the West Coast of Cali, we've heard all the beaches are amazing! But we need to find a rental place that will rent to us first!

I would recommend DC if you want some history. Trip down to Orlando perhaps while working in GA. Agree Mega Bus may be a great way to travel along east coast cheaply. Unless you have a lot of money for airfare CA and Texas and Nevada might be difficult especially because it is the same time when schools are out here for vacations so airfare seems to be higher but there are some low cost fare options. What in particular are you interested in seeing and doing?

We would love to go to DC! Perhaps before NYC, as thats and where we are flying home from.

We want to do some obvious tourist things, go to a baseball game, visit the beaches, see landmarks, visit some different restaurants!

ALSO to those who have stayed off disney property in Orlando, please let me know who you booked your condo with! As I grew up around the corner from Disney, it's not my main priority to visit.

Will you be working in downtown Cleveland? If yes, you'll be in close proximity to amazing restaurants right around the corner. Cleveland is a foodie mecca. East 4th, Ohio City, Tremont, west side, east side - amazing restaurants everywhere. There are wonderful art museums, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, science center, theaters, zoo, etc. Also, you're very close to Cedar Point amusement park, Kalahari water park, quick road trip to Niagara Falls...a lot of fun things to see and do on your weekends!

Will you be working in downtown Cleveland? If yes, you'll be in close proximity to amazing restaurants right around the corner. Cleveland is a foodie mecca. East 4th, Ohio City, Tremont, west side, east side - amazing restaurants everywhere. There are wonderful art museums, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, science center, theaters, zoo, etc. Also, you're very close to Cedar Point amusement park, Kalahari water park, quick road trip to Niagara Falls...a lot of fun things to see and do on your weekends!

I think she said she was staying in Cleveland, Georgia but you're right, Cleveland, Ohio is a pretty pippin' place! Always something fun to do there!

If you're renting a car, be sure to fill the tank before you return the car. You'll get charged out the wazoo if you return it without a full tank.

A couple other people mentioned Megabus on the east coast -- that's a great option and is pretty cheap. If you visit DC, be sure to visit the museums - most of them are free and they're all walking distance from one another. You can have lunch from one of the many food trucks on the Mall.

We would love to go to DC! Perhaps before NYC, as thats and where we are flying home from.

We want to do some obvious tourist things, go to a baseball game, visit the beaches, see landmarks, visit some different restaurants!

ALSO to those who have stayed off disney property in Orlando, please let me know who you booked your condo with! As I grew up around the corner from Disney, it's not my main priority to visit.
Website VRBO. For condo/house rentals. Windsor Palms and Indian Creek communities r 10 minutes from Disney.

Thank you for all your help! Really appreciate it!

This may be a strange question, but gas wise, do you fill up your tank then pay? Or pay then fill up your tank? It's different all over Europe so not sure what it is in the states?

Usually rental car is full for u and u return it full. IF they top it off it it is a lot more. When renting They will also give u the Option to have them fill at a "decent price" but then they charge u for a full tank and then tax u on top of it!

I can help a bit with Southern California stuff. Let me know if you need help. I know others on here can also help. I would recommend San Diego if you want an ocean feel. Lots of great beaches down there and it's a beautiful area.

Back