Emergency Double Back Handspring Help!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 12, 2012
heyy all!
so i have my tryouts in like 5 weeks and for me to pass i need a double back handspring (back handspring immediately followed by another back handspring)
I land my first back handspring really low which means i cant continue into another back handspring.
Does anybody know how i can fix this??
I'm desperate because all my coaches are saying just throw it but i cant i just fall backwards into a roll :/
Cheers xx

Sounds like a blocking problem... This means you need t pushing your shoulders very hard and fast out of your back handspring, it's almost immediate to them reaching the ground and should happen in sync with your snap down

Make sure you land your first handspring with your chest up and arms by your ears. Keep your arms tight and push through your legs as hard as possible!

ok thanks people! ive improved on my blocking skills and pulling my chest up but now i cant figure out how to connect them? I would land and say theres no way i could get another back handspring out of that and just give up. How do i get my body into the right position to be able to just throw the second handspring???

You Should be landing in the exact same shape you make out of your round off prior to your first bhs

Use your abs to snap you feet down and under you-don't just let the momentum of the flip put your feet back on the ground.

but this is for sstanding double bhs, not round-off bhs.
Is there a difference??
No, you should still land in the position you would be in if you had done a roundoff. Have you gotten spotted on it? I know it's a little awkward at first but once you've done it a few times your body should get used to it. You probably won't feel like you're in as good of a position to go as you would be in the first backhandspring, but you just have to throw it, it'll be more natural eventually. Try it on a tumbl trak or trampoline?

Have you tried doing a standing backhandspring, landing in the proper position and then doing a straight jump? that might help you to see how much power you actually do have.

I also make my kids throw standing bhs with no swing, their arms are glues to their ears and sit and jump from there... If they cannot do that no double back handsprings or round off bhs

Back