All-Star Employee Handbook - Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 11, 2013
Hello!!

I know this is in the wrong spot but the website wouldn't let me in the coaches room :((((

I am trying to write an employee handbook for my gym, and finding it tougher than it looks, as it's such a specialty craft with really specific needs of employees. does anyone have any suggestions as something I can use as a base or starting point? I want to be state of CA compliant with my handbook as well as be SPECIFIC about what I expect of my employees. I don't wanna leave anything out but don't know where to start! Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks so much!!

Ashley

I am just throwing some things haphazardly out there as I think of them.

1.Cellphone policy for coaches on floor, keeping in mind that some use it as part of there coaching technique out there or take pics of new skills and send to parents.
2. Rules for specific ways that you want contact with parents (gym email and phone vs personal.
3. Social media expectations for teams and coaches.
4 how to deal with bullying.
5. Attire- at comps and in gym
6. Private class cancellation policy.
7. How to utilize a team parent.
8. Continuing ed_ will you help them acheive certs for higher levels , pay for renewals of cpr etc.
9. Responsibilty and how to handle suspected abuse or endangerment of child.
10. Relationships and boundaries with team and parents. (Drinking with parents, fraternization with kids, off sites interaction including social media
11. Events that they are expected to be at. End of year banquet, showcases, other teams making invitationals etc.
12.snow policy

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

make sure punishments or repercussions are well defined. if worse comes to worse in any case, you want to have proof that your employees were well aware of what could happen to them if they broke any rules.

Policies regarding absences and what their consequences are for students

Policies about what to do should they need to call in sick or take a day off (who is responsible for finding replacements)

Competition travel policy. Who pays for their hotel rooms, food, gas, and any other expenses incurred? For example my gym pays for my lodging and I share a room with three other coaches.

You said an employee handbook, so I would go to the SHRM website and review their examples and templates. Members have more access than non-members so you may not be able to see everything. I am a member because I am a Human Resource Manager. The employee handbook should stay strictly to paid employees, not volunteers, cheerleaders, or parents. You should have each employee sign annual for their handbooks so you have proof they received a copy. You will need to cover a myriad of employment issues such as employment laws, company policy, paid and unpaid vacation, sick days, travel requirements, etc. I understand it can be quite a beast.

My suggestion is to call a few of the big gyms to see if they would be willing to send you a copy of theirs. Just keep in mind if you get a copy of a handbook from Texas and you are in Maine, the state laws will vary. Have you considered outsourcing an HR company on a temporary basis to assist in writing the handbook?

Edited to add: If you are requiring coaches have specific training and certifications, you need to specify who pays for recertifications. I would include anything about private lessons, use of gym logo, etc. I know gyms that the pro shop has to give a small percentage of sales to the gym.

Back