All-Star End Of Year Awards Banquet?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Maybe it is just me, but why would you want to go to the banquet of a gym you knew you were leaving?
When we decided we were changing gyms, we did not want to go the end of the year banquet. We had had enough of the coach, athletes and their parents, and to spend 2-3 hours in their company celebrating a season which cp and I pretty much suffered through would have been torture.

Sometimes, you're leaving for a reason other than an "I hate this place and we had an awful season."

Ex: If you're moving, not cheering anymore, moving on to another gym but doing so on good terms, etc. it makes sense to go. It's a year-end event for the kids to be with their friends.

Now if you have had a truly AWFUL season and the feeling of distaste is mutual, I get what you're saying. But in some cases it's not that. You're moving on and want to close the season in the same way that everyone else does.

Maybe it is just me, but why would you want to go to the banquet of a gym you knew you were leaving?
When we decided we were changing gyms, we did not want to go the end of the year banquet. We had had enough of the coach, athletes and their parents, and to spend 2-3 hours in their company celebrating a season which cp and I pretty much suffered through would have been torture.

In our situation, we had a rough year and disagree with what the gym has in the works for next year, but we still care for most of the people and the athletes. I didn't feel that we left on BAD terms... just wanted something different.

We went to ours last year even though we knew we were leaving. I saw it as part of the commitment we made. To me it was part of "finishing" the season, and gave them a chance to say goodbye to their friends.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

We went to ours last year even though we knew we were leaving. I saw it as part of the commitment we made. To me it was part of "finishing" the season, and gave them a chance to say goodbye to their friends.

Right. My son has a tee ball banquet that we will attend knowing full well that we will not be doing tee ball next year. Just part of ending the season.

Sometimes, you're leaving for a reason other than an "I hate this place and we had an awful season."

Ex: If you're moving, not cheering anymore, moving on to another gym but doing so on good terms, etc. it makes sense to go. It's a year-end event for the kids to be with their friends.

Now if you have had a truly AWFUL season and the feeling of distaste is mutual, I get what you're saying. But in some cases it's not that. You're moving on and want to close the season in the same way that everyone else does.
I would understand if you were moving, or deciding not to cheer anymore. But in our experience and in the experience of close friends, once you decide to leave a gym for another one and it is known to that gym and it's athletes (regardless of whether you thought they were cp's friends or not), even if you are leaving on "good terms" I cannot envision it being a comfortable situation to sit through. Because even if you and your cp handle it well, there are still many who will be hurt, not look upon you being there as a good thing, and not act the same way you and your cp do.
To each their own. I just knew it would not be a comfortable situation for us, and my commitment to the gym and her team ended the moment after we said good-bye after the final competition that season. Had cp wanted to attend her banquet I guess I would have needed to think long and hard about it. But since she didn't it was never an issue.

I can't say that I've ever had that issue (you can come to the banquet because you cheered for me and you're owed your end of year recognition), but it never fails to amaze me at how CRAZY owners can get.

Team banquet = for the team. Everyone who participated, regardless of whether you'll be staying with us, is welcome.

It's not a big deal if your kid didn't WANT to go, but if a kid wants to attend and a coach is refusing to allow it, I don't think they need to be working with children anymore because they are a child themselves. #petty

What if you have a parent who has taken every possible opportunity over the last few weeks to corner content parents and athletes in order to air her grievances? What a relief, as a parent, to find you won't be subjected to her ranting on the day you've set aside to celebrate your child's season. (Not implying that's the OP's situation at all! Or even saying I've heard of an uninvite )

In our situation, we had a rough year and disagree with what the gym has in the works for next year, but we still care for most of the people and the athletes. I didn't feel that we left on BAD terms... just wanted something different.
But that's the thing, you are leaving. Why does that gym owner want to give you the chance to have audience with the entire program so you could recruit others to leave? Not saying you would but that is one of the thought processes they are having.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Hater Shades, trying to be relevant since 2009.

I can't say that I've ever had that issue (you can come to the banquet because you cheered for me and you're owed your end of year recognition), but it never fails to amaze me at how CRAZY owners can get.

Team banquet = for the team. Everyone who participated, regardless of whether you'll be staying with us, is welcome.

It's not a big deal if your kid didn't WANT to go, but if a kid wants to attend and a coach is refusing to allow it, I don't think they need to be working with children anymore because they are a child themselves. #petty
In a perfect world, yes. Unfortunately there are all too many coaches out there who act like a$$hats when their program is no longer the right one for your cp whatever the reason. Their bruised egos get in the way of being able to act like adults.

My CPs last gym had roughly 150 athletes last season. For many reasons, they had very high turn over from last season to the new one that just started. Their final numbers ended about the same based on placement announcements. (We were planning on leaving but only my best friend at the gym knew and I had no idea so many other athletes were leaving.)
That all being said, at the awards banquet all of the girls were names and given a DVD of the team video and a gift (drawstring bag with gym name on it.) Every athlete from that gym was at the awards banquet (except my niece who had a field trip to the Grand Canyon). Some people had already spread the word they were going to another gym, taking a year off, doing power tumbling, taking dance, doing high school cheer, or just done with cheer. A few told people at the end of the evening. Most of them said nothing and just didn't return. All of them were welcome. All of them were honored. Nobody tried to recruit us. We didn't try to recruit anyone. Some people decided to come back that were going to take a year or so off (younger girls) because the dads saw a bonded, supportive, and loving group of positive role models for their young daughters. It was a wonderful night and I'm glad we went even though we weren't returning. (I'm extra glad we did. My youngest was chosen for her team's "all-star award" and acknowledged for her perfect attendance and my middle CP was acknowledged for crossing over for 2 months to my oldest CP's team.)

But that's the thing, you are leaving. Why does that gym owner want to give you the chance to have audience with the entire program so you could recruit others to leave? Not saying you would but that is one of the thought processes they are having.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Hater Shades, trying to be relevant since 2009.
that's the problem... the gym owner shouldn't really have a say... if they are so paranoid that one person leaving can recruit their whole program they need to have a bit more confidence in the product they are selling. If one person saying "hey I'm out of here and we are going to XYZ gym" can make a bunch of people leave the owner should be more worried about what is wrong with the program than trying to control people. If you were there for the season you have the right to attend the banquet. No one is leaving a program they are perfectly happy with just because one person is leaving.

that's the problem... the gym owner shouldn't really have a say... if they are so paranoid that one person leaving can recruit their whole program they need to have a bit more confidence in the product they are selling. If one person saying "hey I'm out of here and we are going to XYZ gym" can make a bunch of people leave the owner should be more worried about what is wrong with the program than trying to control people. If you were there for the season you have the right to attend the banquet. No one is leaving a program they are perfectly happy with just because one person is leaving.

YES.

This.

If you're doing it right, someone could tell your entire gym on a bullhorn standing in the middle of the floor during the banquet that they're leaving and Victor Rosario is coming in on a personal private jet to fly them out to TG and no one is really going to care that much.

Newsflash: If what one or 2 people say at a team banquet causes people to leave, THEY WERE PLANNING TO LEAVE ANYWAY.

I totally agree with this but if they are petty enough to "uninvite" them then they will not have prepared any award or kind words for the child either.. so it could be very damaging for the child to be there and basically be ignored during the event while everyone else is being recognized. It's a terrible situation and ANY owners that would do this should be ashamed of themselves and seriously reconsider if they are doing what they are doing for the kids or the $.
Yes I agree with you, didn't think about that!

Back