All-Star Espn U Worlds Coverage

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This was my first year at Worlds although I know more about it than my boyfriend but it was obviously his first year too and after sitting there for 3 days, not even watching all the teams-- then a month later watching the coverage on ESPN he couldnt believe they cut 3 days worth of cheerleading down to 1 hour. i mean dont get me wrong, who wants to see SE , F5 or ANY of the CA teams perform when you could watch a 9th place team:confused: / i would have LOVED to see more of the amazing talented international teams even, they showed teams who dropped stunts and didnt place. they need to show top 3 who won in each division atleast, then partial converage of other teams. they need to show what worlds is really about. And im pretty sure my boyfriend could have done better coverage than that woman talking; she studdered with like every sentence, and had no idea what she was talking about. They need to have live coverage that airs on TV for atleast finals/ i guarentee that would have enough ratings!

Aside from the wonderful display of talent, Worlds was just an embarrassing, logistical and technical nightmare at so many levels this year and I don't see it getting better...a shame. We often aren't taken seriously as an industry, and the governing body can't even put together an event that WE can take seriously.

As far as the annoying commentators...ESPN airs these events for their viewers, the majority of whom are not cheerleaders. I'm sure the commentators aren't as well-versed as we are, but they are also instructed to explain things in layman's terms in order for the non-cheerleaders to understand what the heck is going on. The terms heel-stretch, tick tock, scorpion, double down, etc. mean nothing to most people.
Yeah but in the same sense-- when im watching a football game, or basketball game or even a gymnastics competition i dont know what all their "terms" are either but they always use them because the people who know about the sport know what theyre talking about and it makes sense to them

I agree...it was so sad...:( and a comment specific to my cp.’s team they showed the beginning of Smoed’s pyramid but didn't show the end??? really?? Evidence non cheer folk running the show...ugh...sad when 10th place sm sr gets more than sr elite smoed panthers cheetahs etc -___- next time Ill watch reruns of friends instead

yeah... i feel for cheer athletics :( they were AMAZING this year, and got no coverage... I rely on youtube for vids now lol!

Today I watched the UCA broadcast on my DVR. It felt very rushed and like there were hardly any full routines shown. So I'm at least thankful that Worlds/NCA shows full routines and takes time with them. It may not be the routines we prefer but it's still giving anyone tuning in a brief glimpse into what modern competitive cheer is like.

"Aaaaand here we have the Craptastic Allstars. They're well known for their crappy tumbling. OH! Look! They just did that switchy footy thing! That takes a lot of skill and practice. ...And there's the tumbling portion with lots of twisty flips. Wow, that WAS crappy. Now for the dance. Wait...I think that's the Dougie or the Electric Slide! Those were very popular this season among the kids...Hahaha! Oh, here comes the big finish. Oh my, what a pooptacular pyramid at the end. It even has the girls standing on one foot with the other knee up. Isn't that called "The Flamingo?" What a move. Spectacular performance by Craptastic."

"Aaaaand here we have the Craptastic Allstars. They're well known for their crappy tumbling. OH! Look! They just did that switchy footy thing! That takes a lot of skill and practice. ...And there's the tumbling portion with lots of twisty flips. Wow, that WAS crappy. Now for the dance. Wait...I think that's the Dougie or the Electric Slide! Those were very popular this season among the kids...Hahaha! Oh, here comes the big finish. Oh my, what a pooptacular pyramid at the end. It even has the girls standing on one foot with the other knee up. Isn't that called "The Flamingo?" What a move. Spectacular performance by Craptastic."
you forgot to mention how much fun it looked like they were having!;)

I couldn't help giggle at the irony of Amanda Borden, Olympic gymnast, saying how they need "perfect technique to land those tumbling passes". We all know what gymnasts think about cheer tumbling technique ;)

Actually you are mistaken it's not the switchy footy thing...it is called the "Crane technique."

If you didn't see it on ESPN, you might as well just search your favourite teams on Youtube. They only showed a few international teams, no medium coed, and no Cheer Athletics, F5 or Top Gun! I was mildly disappointed.

My solution would be taking the money that WOULD be spent on a TV show, and turn that into a webcast/documentary that would be free to watch online. You could include all of the medalists (or finalists), put advertising in if you wanted, and add commentary after the fact. Take the money that you save and reduce the cost probably $50 per athlete to attend worlds, plus have a more usable product. The TV show (even when we are on it) does not seem to be a particularly effective marketing tool.

My solution would be taking the money that WOULD be spent on a TV show, and turn that into a webcast/documentary that would be free to watch online. You could include all of the medalists (or finalists), put advertising in if you wanted, and add commentary after the fact. Take the money that you save and reduce the cost probably $50 per athlete to attend worlds, plus have a more usable product. The TV show (even when we are on it) does not seem to be a particularly effective marketing tool.
i nominate you as cheer president.

Back