Establishing A New Allstar Cheer Program, Growing Pains

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 2, 2014
How long does it take to establish a solid allstar cheer program? In addition, what are some growing pains you have experienced as part of a new allstar cheer program?

How long does it take to establish a solid allstar cheer program? In addition, what are some growing pains you have experienced as part of a new allstar cheer program?
im not a coach or gym owner, but I'm guessing a growing pain could be like how much people live in that certain area (a town with a population of like 200), how many would be ages 3-18? (like 40) and they could be doing sports for there school teams and there could be nearby cheer gyms.

Never been a part of a new program so I don't have an answer from experience.

@12stepCheermom has been through it an may be able to offer insight.

What are you defining an established program as? One that wins a lot, survives many years, becomes a household name, had teams at all levels?

**TOTD: when texting always check the recipients before hitting the 'send' button**

I can say the one we were with from the start was solid by year two. It was actually their best year and we had ten teams that year. Not enough growth can kill a new program but getting successful quickly can as well. In our gyms short life (lasted four years) the major issue was not having the business skills to manage rapid growth. It's what killed the program. Pepper that with the owners youth, inexperience and arrogance to NOT listen to the solid advice of people who knew business and it was a flash in the cheer pan.

My only advice (as this is a broad question that really can't be answered) is to ensure you have someone competent at running a business with the contingent people skills. People with technical cheer knowledge are important but great coaches...who don't know how to run a business...and don't have the people skills to keep paying customers happy (and that means - sometimes - kicking gym cancers to the curb to keep those that aren't cancerous from leaving) absolutely will not be successful.

A successful gym needs a competent business manager before it needs a competent cheer coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For us, the biggest obstacle is that competitive cheerleading is a very new concept. However, I started the year out with 8 kids and have more than tripled. Believe in yourself and your product. Our philosophy is different than other gyms in our area and my parents are my best advertisers. Define what success is to you and don't waiver from your vision.

A successful gym needs a competent business manager before it needs a competent cheer coach.
^^^THIS cannot be said enough^^^
We were at a start up gym for 5 years (and I am not sure I would call it successful yet) and my retired CP is currently employed at a different start up program. I am not a coach or gym owner so this is the point of view from a paying customer:

1) Like others have suggested, first you need to define what success means to you. Then you need to develop a business plan on how you are going to get there.
2) Hire and RETAIN quality staff.
3) PERFECTION BEFORE PROGRESSION - please don't cave in to all the parents who threaten to leave if barely capable level 1 Susie isn't moved up to level 2 at the end of her first season.
4) Have the courage to dump toxic athletes/parents.

It really just depends. My daughter once attended a gym that never really made it off the ground. Her current gym is only in it's 2nd year and has 19 cheer squads (I think just under 400 cheerleaders). And there are rumors that at least one more team may be added next season. So you never know!

^^^THIS cannot be said enough^^^
We were at a start up gym for 5 years (and I am not sure I would call it successful yet) and my retired CP is currently employed at a different start up program. I am not a coach or gym owner so this is the point of view from a paying customer:

1) Like others have suggested, first you need to define what success means to you. Then you need to develop a business plan on how you are going to get there.
2) Hire and RETAIN quality staff.
3) PERFECTION BEFORE PROGRESSION - please don't cave in to all the parents who threaten to leave if barely capable level 1 Susie isn't moved up to level 2 at the end of her first season.
4) Have the courage to dump toxic athletes/parents.
Yes to number 4. If you don't have the intestinal fortitude to cut some cancers, they will run off your good people.

For the record, every cheer owner/coach should read Todd Whitaker's Shifting the Monkey if they have any interest in being successful both with their staff and their athletes.

It's short, it's easy and it will change your life. Read it.

Be careful with mixing your friends and your business. It can be more complicated than usual when you're dealing with children and parents.

Definitely can't stress this enough! I currently coach at a 3 year old business and it's small but growing. We have a lot of competition I the area though. But last year parents who were friends with the owners caused so much drama and she had to draw the line so definitely best point of growing pain!

Definitely can't stress this enough! I currently coach at a 3 year old business and it's small but growing. We have a lot of competition I the area though. But last year parents who were friends with the owners caused so much drama and she had to draw the line so definitely best point of growing pain!
This goes the other way too. An owner expecting that a parent being his /her friend alleviates the need to remain professional is also very toxic.

ETA: As is the inevitable perception of favoritism that results from such friendships.

This goes the other way too. An owner expecting that a parent being his /her friend alleviates the need to remain professional is also very toxic.

ETA: As is the inevitable perception of favoritism that results from such friendships.
This is important to remember.

Excuses any typos [emoji23]

I can say the one we were with from the start was solid by year two. It was actually their best year and we had ten teams that year. Not enough growth can kill a new program but getting successful quickly can as well. In our gyms short life (lasted four years) the major issue was not having the business skills to manage rapid growth. It's what killed the program. Pepper that with the owners youth, inexperience and arrogance to NOT listen to the solid advice of people who knew business and it was a flash in the cheer pan.

My only advice (as this is a broad question that really can't be answered) is to ensure you have someone competent at running a business with the contingent people skills. People with technical cheer knowledge are important but great coaches...who don't know how to run a business...and don't have the people skills to keep paying customers happy (and that means - sometimes - kicking gym cancers to the curb to keep those that aren't cancerous from leaving) absolutely will not be successful.

We have this! We do struggle for knowledgable, morally sound coaches in our area but we are growing them! Thanks for your input.

Not a growing pain, per se... But I would definitely be very aware of my market. If you are recruiting new to allstar cheerleaders, it will be tough to initially convince people to make the very big investment required for this sport. If people are coming from another gym, they will bring with them whatever issues that caused them to leave.

In order to combat this, you will want to have your teams really get a taste of how wonderful allstar at your gym can be. I think that it's important to not over reach in your inaguaral season. Choose competitions wisely, knowing that it will be difficult to start off winning. Winning isn't everything, so make sure your teams have an enjoyable experience, but don't waste your participants money on a ton of travel etc.

Make sure teams are level and age appropriate, don't indulge in the temptation to compete higher than you are capable of, or put cheerleaders on teams they aren't ready for, or in spots they shouldn't be in. And be careful what you promise. People will always notice when they don't get what they thought they were sold.

Be professional and transparent with parents, you want to educate them to adopt your gyms philosophy. You don't want them to make up their own answers to why things are the way they are, trust me, their answers are usually far worse than reality.

Also don't indulge in rivalries and negativity with your competition or others in your area. It is rarely productive.

Back