Extreme Fear Of Robhs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 9, 2012
I was given a ROBHS in our routine (don't even have a standing BHS)
and i can't do it. I've tried and tried and tried to do it. I've done a round off and then had a spot wait for me at the end. And i'll freak out and just jump straight back. the coach expects me to get it by January, but we only have practice this weekend and next weekend and then the gyms closed! I really just want to go for it but i'm so afraid i'll break into tears and if i do go for it i end up hurting my arms! (they go hyper-extended). And the coach is the main problem! She doesn't want to help me or give me tips she just yells "DO YOUR BACKHANDSPRING. NOW" And only one person is able to spot me and hes not even the coach, hes an athlete! (lower level tumbling coach at 18 yrs old). I'm so afraid to do it. Does anyone have any tips or ideas to get me to throw it? I've tried visualizing me doing the ROBHS and then trying it but i still freak out!

Also, to add, the yelling coach is also the coach that gave 6 people BHS or ROBHS in the routine that don't even have it...:confused:

I had the same problem for 2 years. For some reason, I got over my fear 2 months ago. The feeling I overcoming your fear is indescribable. You will get. Have your spotter stand backwards (not facing you). This worked for me. My spotter stood backwards and I did it. That moment was the moment I truly realized I didn't need a spot. If you have the drive to do it, you will do. You may get it next week or in a year. Whatever the case, I believe in you. Hour coach does too

Keep doing what you're doing, practise makes perfect! And learn to trust yourself more than your spotter. Good luck :)

your coach is probably just frustrated right now. competition season is so stressful. just try your hardest to throw your pass. your team needs you to be fearless to help out in competition. i know its scary but soon it will become natural to you! best of luck!

It sounds to me like this isn't just a mental block, it is a legitimate fear. If you don't have a standing BHS by yourself, are you even close to your ROBHS? If not, you might want to look for a new gym. No coach should force you to throw skills you're not ready for.

It sounds to me like this isn't just a mental block, it is a legitimate fear. If you don't have a standing BHS by yourself, are you even close to your ROBHS? If not, you might want to look for a new gym. No coach should force you to throw skills you're not ready for.
I can do a standing BHS, but i can only do it when someone literally puts a finger on me. I talked to my coach on sunday and told her i wouldn't have my BHS and that i don't feel comfortable with it. I'm actually surprised, she was fine with it.......

I'm defintly trying to get my ROBHS still, but not so much pressured.

Back