All-Star Fakers.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 15, 2010
Ok, so this is a random thought // question but what is Your opinion on people 'faking' skills. For example, when you are watching a lvl. 3 team of 20 lets say and they have the entire team doing RO Tucks forward but the entire two back rows fake the tuck that annoys me!!! Myself and the other coach have 16 kids come frwd and do RO Tucks forward. They ALL throw them. We could easily put the 4 leftovers in a back line and have them fake the tuck but to us that's pointless. I can see if you need one person to fake it (for formation purposes) but two entire rows?!? I've seen this in a lot of lvl. 3 teams specifically!!

I guess my question is do you think the judges would rather have the four 'fakers' in to make it look like the entire team is tumbling or will they find it more impressiver that all 16 kids tumbling are acctually throwing the skill.

From another athletes point of view, I'd rather see 16 RO backs. You could always have your 4 others throwing a beastly basket or something. I'd never noticed just how many fakers teams had until I went to competition where I had to sit on the side, since all the rows in front of the stage where full. I saw literally two rows of a level 5 team faking standing backs. Heck, half my level three team can do standing backs.

From another athletes point of view, I'd rather see 16 RO backs. You could always have your 4 others throwing a beastly basket or something. I'd never noticed just how many fakers teams had until I went to competition where I had to sit on the side, since all the rows in front of the stage where full. I saw literally two rows of a level 5 team faking standing backs. Heck, half my level three team can do standing backs.

Unfortinitly the four leftovers are 2 Backspots, and 2 Bases. No flyers to throw in the toss lol .. But I find myself watching for ppl faking it. I don't get it, why bother. IMO it more impressive to see just 10 kids throwing the skill and much less impressive to see 10 kids doing RO 'tuck jump' .. Thats level 1!!!!

When I watch a routine I look at the back row all the time to see whats being faked! Most likely there will always be those 1 or 2 fakers, But I agree I hate when there is a whole entire row of fakers!! Throw a toss or put up a stunt in the back! Oh and I especially hate when there are standing full fakers right in the front.....Hello we can see you!!

We judges catch that every time. You're not fooling anyone, you're not getting credit for the full team doing the skill. That said, I do understand why coaches/choreographers do it. If you need everyone to get from the front to the back, in formation, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Ok, so this is a random thought // question but what is Your opinion on people 'faking' skills. For example, when you are watching a lvl. 3 team of 20 lets say and they have the entire team doing RO Tucks forward but the entire two back rows fake the tuck that annoys me!!! Myself and the other coach have 16 kids come frwd and do RO Tucks forward. They ALL throw them. We could easily put the 4 leftovers in a back line and have them fake the tuck but to us that's pointless. I can see if you need one person to fake it (for formation purposes) but two entire rows?!? I've seen this in a lot of lvl. 3 teams specifically!!

I guess my question is do you think the judges would rather have the four 'fakers' in to make it look like the entire team is tumbling or will they find it more impressiver that all 16 kids tumbling are acctually throwing the skill.

I would just like to point out that I did NOT mean to put more "impressiver" lol I ment to put impressive ... Stupid Iphone!!

Fakers win Worlds all the time. Faking in regards to tumbling or stunts happen for a lot of different reasons. I know I do it but mainly bc an athlete or group has the skill and due to injury or risk that skill has to be pulled and due to formations or choreography I'm not going to change it. More often times than not if the "faker (s)" are placed in the right spots yes you can get away with it to a point. If a team does it and gets away with it I call it smart choreography, if a team abuses it and loses points I call it dumb. Two rows seems a bit drastic and I assume they didn't receive the "full" score but a wave of 20 is impressive, if you can swing it.

Coaches do this bc they are trying to get the quantity points they need. They know the judges aren't usually fooled but if you highlight the fact that half the team isn't doing the tumbling skill by putting stunts in the back then they DEF aren't going to be fooled and you DEF wont get the quantity points. It's a catch 22. I'd rather go with choreography and show some cool stunt action but those scoresheets demand that they all tumble. Yes it's ideal if everyone on the team has the correct level abilities but this is harder with senior teams so you see a lot more faking with them (IMO).

It is annoying but it's the nature of the beast

Well, if all the video review for quantities starts being put into effect, bye bye fakers! I mean, if you simply CAN'T think of another way to move someone to a different spot on the floor, or if it's the beginning of the season and a sort-of 'placeholder' for a pass the person is working towards, ok. Or, for the obvious if there is an injury (which we as the non-informed couldn't possibly know). But when it's REALLY deliberate like you're trying to hide something to fill it out, they're gonna know. Especially, like mentioned, if video review for quantitiy scores starts getting bigger.

Unfortinitly the four leftovers are 2 Backspots, and 2 Bases. No flyers to throw in the toss lol .. But I find myself watching for ppl faking it. I don't get it, why bother. IMO it more impressive to see just 10 kids throwing the skill and much less impressive to see 10 kids doing RO 'tuck jump' .. Thats level 1!!!!

ya rather see the fakers doing something....even if 2 are backs and 2 are bases...is one of the bases smaller that maybe they could do like a show n go? ro tucks dont take a long time to throw so even though they dont do a basket maybe do a show n go

I said this after battle at the capital. I saw a lot of Level 5 teams with girls in the back faking toe backs and its not even like the full team was in the formation, there were some girls walking across the back to corners already. And then in standing full formations. I really believe that F5 and shooting stars are the only 2 large senior 5 teams that dont fake standing fulls. And i don't consider 1 person at 1 comp not throwing it as being faked. Majority of the time, the entire formation throws it.

I think my biggest issue with fakers is when you have half your team faking a stunt. If that's the case, it clearly shouldn't be your stunt! Same goes for tumbling- if not everybody can do it, don't choreograph everybody to look like they're doing it because you're not fooling anybody. I mean, one or two is alright, because sometimes not every single person or stunt group has the skill. But other than that, you're only embarrassing yourself in my opinion..

I'm dead against video review. If I fool you then I beat you whether I beat a team or a judge. I only think video should be used if a legality is in question.
But are you really fooling anyone? Plenty of people here saying they're looking SPECIFICALLY for fakers, and we ALL know teams do it..you might get away with one or two at most, and even then is it really going to help you beat someone? Doubtful.

But are you really fooling anyone? Plenty of people here saying they're looking SPECIFICALLY for fakers, and we ALL know teams do it..you might get away with one or two at most, and even then is it really going to help you beat someone? Doubtful.
I vote yes! And i think it has happened. There are teams that give the illusion of full team tumbling. And if there is enough of it and happening fast enough, you won't know whats happening.

hiding 1 full behind 2 doubles going to a corner
hiding 2 to fulls behind 2 to doubles
5 standing tucks scattered in a mix of 13 standing fulls.

It's hard to get an accurate count when things are happening so fast and spread across the floor.
It's a lot harder to fake skills in lower levels i think though.

Back