OT Fear Of Failing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 3, 2011
Does anyone else have this?

Lately I've been upset that I'll never achieve my one true dream of competing at worlds. It's all I want and I work really hard at home to try and perfect my skills but it seems that the more I work the more I fail. As in, my team has got one quarter of our routine done and comp is in 5 weeks.

I have this. I just get so frustrated so fast! I've never been a natural at tumbling...it usually takes at least a year to get a new skill. But each and every time I don't land something I get completely frazzled. I think it just upsets me that I have level 5 stunting, jumps, and I perform to a level 5 standard, but I can't get the tumbling! I don't want to graduate as a level 4. Luckily, I met someone who knows exactly how to calm me down, tell me when to stop and when I need to push harder. My coach Ron just knows how I tick. He knows that I will push myself until I crash. If I start crying he says "Who is this girl I'm looking at? Because this isn't Beka! Beka doesn't cry! Who's awesome? Beka's awesome!" He knows what I'm capable of and because of him I've learned to step over my fear most of the time. My advice to you is to remind yourself that you are AMAZING and that you are capable of anything you set your mind to. In the words of Walt Disney, "if you can dream it, you can do it!" Good luck!!

aww you're coach sounds like the best!
thanks for the advice, i'll be sure to remember it :) the quote actually helped a lot!

There is always more time than you think to make it to worlds if it's something you really really want. Building mental strength as well as physical skills is a very important part of your development as an athlete. Thinking that you won't get there, or can't get there, or that your team is holding you back or that you're getting worse every day isn't taking positive steps towards your goal. Some things to think about:
- what can you do to help your team learn the routine? sometimes simply being positive when everyone else is starting to doubt the routine can make a difference. This time of year is stressful for everyone. I don't know ANYONE who has ever walked onto the floor at the first comp of the season and felt truly ready. It's okay to bust, it's not okay to give up.
- make yourself accountable, talk to your coach and tell them what you want to achieve and together work out a plan. By the first comp you want this skill on the floor, by the end of the season you want this skill... but be moderate, you can always change the end goal if you get it early, but not achieving it might make you feel worse. Every time you're in the gym, do the drills and ask for a spot to help you rep each skill ten times. It will eventually become habit and you will find that people will come up and remind you if they notice you haven't done your ten bhs/tucks/walkovers! My goal for this year is to put my tuck on the floor at nationals :) When I'm sitting around waiting for training, or at open stunt, I do conditioning drills that I don't need help to work on. You can never be too strong or conditioned.

i always tell my girls that they cant be afraid to fail. if you dont fail i cant correct you. but if you have the confidence you wont fail- youll surprise even your self. Goodluck <3 have faith.

FYI, this doesn't apply solely to tumbling and skills. Some of us struggle with perfectionist tendencies in many areas of our life. And it tends to adversely affect the other areas of our life.
Thank goodness I have learned to ease back on certain things so I don't drive myself absolutely insane.

FYI, this doesn't apply solely to tumbling and skills. Some of us struggle with perfectionist tendencies in many areas of our life. And it tends to adversely affect the other areas of our life.
Thank goodness I have learned to ease back on certain things so I don't drive myself absolutely insane.

I completely agree. This past weekend I worked staffing my first NCA camp and I got a lot of compliments from the coaches of the teams that I had worked with. But my Head Instructor gave me a "needs work" on my confidence level for my evaluation because I always second guess myself because everything always has to be perfect. My perfectionism has really affected how I progress in cheerleading, school, my jobs, and just life in general. I've gotten better about some things, but it's a daily struggle.

When someone first told me I was a perfectionist, I laughed and told them It couldn't be true because I couldn't think of one thing I was perfect at......but sure doesn't stop me from wishing I was......

When someone first told me I was a perfectionist, I laughed and told them It couldn't be true because I couldn't think of one thing I was perfect at......but sure doesn't stop me from wishing I was......

But doesn't that prove that you probably are a perfectionist? You never think you're good enough at anything, so you constantly strive for perfection at something.

But doesn't that prove that you probably are a perfectionist? You never think you're good enough at anything, so you constantly strive for perfection at something.

That's exactly the point, it just took me a few years to understand that....lol.

i get my perfectionism from my mama. it took me a long time to really get going in tumbling because everything had to be 1000% perfect. If my takeoff/run wasnt exact, i couldn't roundoff. If my roundoff was off, forget anything coming after it. Even in competition.

actually, just yesterday, I had a crying fit because my boyfriend took me golfing and I couldn't hit the ball. I couldn't stand looking like an idiot like that. But of course, now I realize that swearing and crying in a public place is a lot more embarrassing than not hitting a golf ball. :oops:

Back