Flyer Height/weight

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 9, 2016
Hi i'm new and don't really know how to use this... my friend wants me to try out for high school cheer with her.. she has been doing allstar cheer for a long time and i have never cheered in my life... i have the skills to be a flyer but i am 120 pounds and 5 feet maybe 5'1 but is that to big or heavy to be a flyer?

Hi i'm new and don't really know how to use this... my friend wants me to try out for high school cheer with her.. she has been doing allstar cheer for a long time and i have never cheered in my life... i have the skills to be a flyer but i am 120 pounds and 5 feet maybe 5'1 but is that to big or heavy to be a flyer?
Absolutely not. You should be more concerned with your level of muscle control and flexibility. A tiny flyer is useless if she doesn't know how to control her bodyweight in midair. Also realize that muscle is a denser tissue than fat, and so weighing a certain amount doesn't necessarily make you fat or thin. Understand that not every flyer's body looks the same, and embrace your body for what it is. Good luck!

Absolutely not. You should be more concerned with your level of muscle control and flexibility. A tiny flyer is useless if she doesn't know how to control her bodyweight in midair.
okay thank you so much!! im pretty flexible its just hoping that i have enough muscle which i think i do... to be able to support myself in the air... and all of the flyers at my school are really tiny so i was just hoping that i wouldnt be to big or heavy... so Thank you!!

okay thank you so much!! im pretty flexible its just hoping that i have enough muscle which i think i do... to be able to support myself in the air... and all of the flyers at my school are really tiny so i was just hoping that i wouldnt be to big or heavy... so Thank you!!
Don't think for one second that being taller, heavier or more muscular than other flyers in your program makes your inferior to them. And core strength is everything. Focus on it. :) Always trust your coaches corrections (hard when fear sometimes sets in), and know that just because something feels right doesn't mean it looks right. Also, the fact that something feels weird doesn't mean it looks weird. I'll use motions as an example: locking your arms really hard and tightening your shoulders might feel really weird, but it is the correct way in which to hit a motion. On the other hand, you might feel that holding your arms in line with your shoulders when hitting a 'T' motion (instead of the correct way, which is to hold them slightly forward) is correct, when in actuality it looks off. (This might confuse you now, but you'll understand eventually.)

I have a similar question. I'm 4'10, about 112 pounds, and I was just wondering if this would limit me from certain positions? For fall school cheer, I was a front spot, but the program i am going to do this spring doesn't use front spots. Do you know if I would have a harder time because of my height and weight?

I have a similar question. I'm 4'10, about 112 pounds, and I was just wondering if this would limit me from certain positions? For fall school cheer, I was a front spot, but the program i am going to do this spring doesn't use front spots. Do you know if I would have a harder time because of my height and weight?
Depends on your actual ability and the abilities of your other teammates. For example (this one doesn't necessarily apply to you, I'm just using it to make my point), you might be a decent flyer, but if there are a lot of other very good flyers this season you might not end up flying, simply because the flyer talent pool is deep this year. Next year it could be different. Doesn't mean you are too big, just means that spots are more competitive.

Depends on your actual ability and the abilities of your other teammates. For example (this one doesn't necessarily apply to you, I'm just using it to make my point), you might be a decent flyer, but if there are a lot of other very good flyers this season you might not end up flying, simply because the flyer talent pool is deep this year. Next year it could be different. Doesn't mean you are too big, just means that spots are more competitive.
OK thank you! I was just worried because I know there are a lot of tall bases, and I know a big height difference can cause problems for stunt groups.

If you have never participated in cheer how do you know you have the skills or even the mentality of being able to trust your life to you bases?

Not being mean or rude but just curious.

**please raise your hand if you're related to Jocelyn**

If you have never participated in cheer how do you know you have the skills or even the mentality of being able to trust your life to you bases?

This is actually a good point; she might start cheer and discover that she likes basing even more than she thought she would like flying.

No I understand but my best friend is an allstar cheer and im also very into allstar so I know that I have the flying skills as far as bow and arrow, arabesque etc... and im also a dancer

Back