All-Star Flyer Vs Flier

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Either way it is correct.

The way I look at it is.....To fly is spelled FLYING so why wouldn't the person in the air be called a FLYER. Also I live in the Philly area and the NHL team is the Flyers so I would probably only think about spelling it that way.

I think of it this way...flier is a piece of paper, it isn't a variation of the word "fly". Dryer, however is a variation of the word "dry" and it's not spelled drier. i go with flyer.

I was thinking the same thing. I have seen that both are acceptable. Not that it REALLY matters haha.

what grammar rule makes it so?
Change the Y to an I and add ER.

happy -> happier
merry -> merrier
dry -> drier (i am drier than you)

but things that break the rules would be:
gay -> gayer
play -> player
gray -> grayer

If there is a vowel before the Y, then you keep the Y and add ER

fli·er

noun
something that flies, as a bird or insect.

fly·er

noun
1. Textiles .

a. a rotating device that adds twist to the slubbing or roving and winds the stock onto a spindle or bobbin in a uniform manner.
b. a similar device for adding twist to yarn.
2. flier.

fli·erNoun/ˈflīər/

1. A person or thing that flies, esp. in a particular way: "a nervous flier".
2. A person who flies something, esp. an aircraft.

http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/agcomm/ontarget/0603/Grammar_trap.htm

Grammar Trap: flier vs. flyer

When you meet a pilot, do you speak with a “flier” or a “flyer”?
When you put up a handbill, do you post a “flyer” or a “flier”?

Yes. And no.

Finding these words in the dictionary, you’ll see that “flyer” (aside from being a device used in textile production) is the alternate spelling for “flier.”

In other words, both spellings are acceptable, but as the dictionary definition indicates, “flier” is Number One and “flyer” is second banana. Some will try to tell you that one spelling is for pilots and the other is for handbills. Those people are wrong, and you shouldn’t listen to them. In fact, run from them. Fast.

Like any word that has different accepted spellings, it’s important to use one spelling to maintain consistency and avoid confusion. Most likely, these concerns are what prompted The Associated Press Stylebook to affirm that “flier” is preferred for both aviators and handbills, while “flyer” is reserved for certain proper names such as Radio Flyer.

Of course, proper names are always written the way the owner wants them spelled (even if they are abominations such as “Kane’s Kandy Shoppe”).

Most likely, these concerns are what prompted The Associated Press Stylebook to affirm that “flier” is preferred for both aviators and handbills, while “flyer” is reserved for certain proper names such as Radio Flyer.

Sounds like you answered your own question. :D

Back