Flyer Will Not Stay Tight What So Ever

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 9, 2012
My flyer for our stunt sequence (I'm a base) will not stay tight at all. The coaches keep yelling at her to fix it, but she doesn't. Shes only 10, and weighs probably around 60 pounds, but she feels so heavy when she is loose. We've tried everything to help her. Now we just yell "stay tight" during the sequence, but she doesn't do anything. I asked her (not in a mean way) "Do you know how to be tight?" and she said "yes!" and i said "show me" so she did a lib on the ground, and she was tight. I told her to do that in the air, but she didn't. We have to hit an extension (two legged) and it shouldn't be this difficult. Her knees are bent, and shes not "sucking in".

Oh, and in cradles, she falls down like in a pike, instead of cleanly falling. Shes a baby flyer, and she should go high when we throw her in a cradle/basket, but she doesn't go anywhere. Any tips i could pass along to her?

Has anyone ever moved her body tight when she was in the air? CP had this problem for a couple of years. Tight on the ground, loose noodle in the air. The thing is that she thought she was being tight. She couldn't feel the difference in her body (was 7 and 8 at the time). Finally, a coach had her group put her up, then came around and squeezed her body together and tucked her hips. Once she felt the difference, she got it.

In a cradle/basket she should be riding for as long as she can. In a basket she should have her arms up to help do this. For staying tight I would tell her to pinch a hundred dollar bill in her buns (yes this sounds stupid). I used to do this when I was having trouble (I'm a flyer) and it works very well. If that doesn't work you can message me. But don't get too frustrated with her (I say that a lot) but it just makes her stressed. Good Luck!

Yep, Senior. Shes the smallest on the team. (shes so adorable!!)

In a cradle/basket she should be riding for as long as she can. In a basket she should have her arms up to help do this. For staying tight I would tell her to pinch a hundred dollar bill in her buns (yes this sounds stupid). I used to do this when I was having trouble (I'm a flyer) and it works very well. If that doesn't work you can message me. But don't get too frustrated with her (I say that a lot) but it just makes her stressed. Good Luck!
Thanks for the tips! I'll tell her on sunday!

ask her if she is afraid up in the air... and tell her not to look down and focus on a point on her hight, that works great for most stunts.
always correct her when she bends her knee, after like 1000 corrections she is so annoyed or her muscle memory will fix that automatically

Back