Flyer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 2, 2015
Hi,
I just joined a cheer team I'm on level 1 ( this is my first time ever doing cheer! ) and I was chosen to be a flyer ( not permanently, just for that practice ) and we had to keep switching base groups ( it was just practice for all bases I think! ) My first base group was so good but then when i had to switch to my second base group my back spot threw me forward instead of lifting me up and I fell straight down on my face, I was so scared then I had to switch to my 3rd base group and I was still kind of scared of flying again because of what my previous back spot had done ( I was afraid another back spot would do that) but my third base group was very good! but then when I had to switch to my 4th base group and the side bases weren't very strong so I fell straight down on my bum/back and since I'd never flown before I was super scared so I begged my coach if I could be a base instead and she didn't want to put me as one because she said its my first time and she thinks I'm doing well but I was just so embarrassed that I kept falling ( which I don't really think was my fault because I stayed as tight as I could in the air ) she switched me but then I really regretted begging my coach to put me as a base!
I really want to be a flyer again I loved it with my 1st and 3rd base group, what should I do? Should I talk to my coach and tell her why I wanted to be a base? And does anyone have any tips to be a flyer and a good one I'd appreciate it!
Sorry this is so long and confusing please reply ASAP x

Since you're on a team with a lot of beginners, including yourself, you need to understand it won't be perfect especially in the beginning of the season. If you're uncomfortable falling and need the best bases then honestly you don't need to be a flyer.

On the other hand, the bases and backs are learning, but the first lesson needs to be that the flyer doesn't hit the mat. The coach should have been there to make sure that didn't happen with a bunch of new cheerleaders.

Since you're on a team with a lot of beginners, including yourself, you need to understand it won't be perfect especially in the beginning of the season. If you're uncomfortable falling and need the best bases then honestly you don't need to be a flyer.

They weren't new bases they have been on the team for a while and other flyers on my team said they had the same problem :/ but I totally agree with your statement I don't want to shame anybody or anything like that thanks for commenting and thanks for giving me advice I'm going to have to learn not to be scared of falling!

On the other hand, the bases and backs are learning, but the first lesson needs to be that the flyer doesn't hit the mat. The coach should have been there to make sure that didn't happen with a bunch of new cheerleaders.

Many of the bases and back spots weren't new they had been there for some time we had done trials and they didn't recruit many new people just myself and two other girls ( I guess I was picked to be a flyer because I was the smallest out of both of them ) other flyers said they had problems with them to basing groups as well but I was the only new flyer so I was quite scared the other flyers probably knew what to do unlike me ://
Thanks for your advice do you have any tips on how to be a good flyer skills I should learn etc. it would be very appreciated thanks again!

They weren't new bases they have been on the team for a while and other flyers on my team said they had the same problem :/ but I totally agree with your statement I don't want to put anybody down or anything like that thanks for commenting and thanks for giving me advice I'm going to have to learn not to be scared of falling! Do you have any advice on how to be a good flyer and skills I should learn and drills for me to practice. I would appreciate it thanks!/QUOTE]

Many of the bases and back spots weren't new they had been there for some time we had done trials and they didn't recruit many new people just myself and two other girls ( I guess I was picked to be a flyer because I was the smallest out of both of them ) other flyers said they had problems with them to basing groups as well but I was the only new flyer so I was quite scared the other flyers probably knew what to do unlike me ://
Thanks for your advice do you have any tips on how to be a good flyer skills I should learn etc. it would be very appreciated thanks again!
Stay tight. Pull up. Stretch. Don't look down!

Try searching some threads here. Lots of good info to be found.

Whatever you do, don't get discouraged. The best flyers in the world were once newbies and faced the same struggles as you. If your coach says you are doing well, believe her. As a coach myself, I tend to cut flyers who show no potential quickly. If you are still flying, there must be something she sees in you-- maybe you just can't see it yet ;-)

Have a look at this series and see if you can use any of these tips to become more confident (and competent) in the air:
Flying Right: Body Alignment For Flyers

Whatever you do, don't get discouraged. The best flyers in the world were once newbies and faced the same struggles as you. If your coach says you are doing well, believe her. As a coach myself, I tend to cut flyers who show no potential quickly. If you are still flying, there must be something she sees in you-- maybe you just can't see it yet ;-)

Have a look at this series and see if you can use any of these tips to become more confident (and competent) in the air:
Flying Right: Body Alignment For Flyers

Thanks so much I was beginning to think there was no hope for being a flyer anymore due to previous comments but your comment has made me think that if I work hard i can be a good flyer!
Thanks so much!

I hope everything works out for you with the flying. My daughter is a backspot and she is usually given the new flyers and bases in her stunt group, but everything tends to work out in the end for them. I will suggest talking with the coach about your performance and maybe look into taking flight classes at your gym. I noticed in every case with my daughter, the flyer will take extra private flight classes and improve greatly. Good Luck!

Back