Flyer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I hope everything works out for you with the flying. My daughter is a backspot and she is usually given the new flyers and bases in her stunt group, but everything tends to work out in the end for them. I will suggest talking with the coach about your performance and maybe look into taking flight classes at your gym. I noticed in every case with my daughter, the flyer will take extra private flight classes and improve greatly. Good Luck!
Thanks so much! The problem is that I need to know people have a good grip on my feet/foot and if they don't I get scared! I'll talk to my coach about it but I won't name names or suggest that the bases were bad in anyway it probably was me maybe I was making it hard from them but my 1st and 3rd stunt group said I was doing really well so I don't know lol :) thanks again !

Thanks so much! The problem is that I need to know people have a good grip on my feet/foot and if they don't I get scared! I'll talk to my coach about it but I won't name names or suggest that the bases were bad in anyway it probably was me maybe I was making it hard from them but my 1st and 3rd stunt group said I was doing really well so I don't know lol :) thanks again !
I think the flight classes will help you greatly and it just sounds like you lack the confidence in your flying abilities and with time and extra flight classes will help you greatly. In most flight classes, you are given experienced bases and backspots with close supervisions by coaches, who will have everyone start slowly and/or work at the flyer's pace, unlike the practices. Have you looked into taking flight classes?

Last edited:
I think the flight classes will help you greatly and it just sounds like you lack the confidence in your flying abilities and with time and extra flight classes will help you greatly. In most flight classes, you are given experience bases and backspots with close supervisions by coaches, who will have everyone start slowly and/or work at the flyer's pace, unlike the practices. Have you looked into taking flight classes?
I live in Ireland and cheerleading is just kind of coming up but my cheer team doesn't have them but I will look around I'm sure they will get me up to speed and improve my flying abilities!

Flight classes are a must where I am from, and let me tell you, you will 75 percent of the time not be a flyer on a higher level team if you are on a level 1 team, this is just how it is, they mostly become bases because level 2, 3, 4, 5 have more abundance's of flyers. On top of that, the biggest advice I have is to squeeze and be tight because then your bases can actually help. Working on stretching and body positions are good and try and take pictures of your BP so you can see more on how to fix them. :)

Just curious if you spoke to your coach and if you were given another chance to try it?

Flight classes are a must where I am from, and let me tell you, you will 75 percent of the time not be a flyer on a higher level team if you are on a level 1 team, this is just how it is, they mostly become bases because level 2, 3, 4, 5 have more abundance's of flyers. On top of that, the biggest advice I have is to squeeze and be tight because then your bases can actually help. Working on stretching and body positions are good and try and take pictures of your BP so you can see more on how to fix them. :)
I've seen there are flight classes in a different gym not too far away from me so I'm definitely going to talk to my parents and see if I can join them! Thanks for the advice! And not to be dumb but what does BP mean I'm new to this forum and I just joined cheer last week lol!

Just curious if you spoke to your coach and if you were given another chance to try it?

Yeah I'm going to speak to her next practice and if I'm not a flyer eh it's not the end of world being a base isn't bad at all it's a Team sport anyway!

I've seen there are flight classes in a different gym not too far away from me so I'm definitely going to talk to my parents and see if I can join them! Thanks for the advice! And not to be dumb but what does BP mean I'm new to this forum and I just joined cheer last week lol!

BP= body positions (needle/scorp, arabesque, etc)…at least that what I think and how I read it.

Hi,
I just joined a cheer team I'm on level 1 ( this is my first time ever doing cheer! ) and I was chosen to be a flyer ( not permanently, just for that practice ) and we had to keep switching base groups ( it was just practice for all bases I think! ) My first base group was so good but then when i had to switch to my second base group my back spot threw me forward instead of lifting me up and I fell straight down on my face, I was so scared then I had to switch to my 3rd base group and I was still kind of scared of flying again because of what my previous back spot had done ( I was afraid another back spot would do that) but my third base group was very good! but then when I had to switch to my 4th base group and the side bases weren't very strong so I fell straight down on my bum/back and since I'd never flown before I was super scared so I begged my coach if I could be a base instead and she didn't want to put me as one because she said its my first time and she thinks I'm doing well but I was just so embarrassed that I kept falling ( which I don't really think was my fault because I stayed as tight as I could in the air ) she switched me but then I really regretted begging my coach to put me as a base!
I really want to be a flyer again I loved it with my 1st and 3rd base group, what should I do? Should I talk to my coach and tell her why I wanted to be a base? And does anyone have any tips to be a flyer and a good one I'd appreciate it!
Sorry this is so long and confusing please reply ASAP x
Learning new skills can be tough physically and mentally, and after a few falls, fears are normal. Keep working on staying positive and focusing on the execution points/corrections to keep your mind focused during the skill. Be sure you understand what you need to be doing, as that will help your bases as well.

Very good adv
Learning new skills can be tough physically and mentally, and after a few falls, fears are normal. Keep working on staying positive and focusing on the execution points/corrections to keep your mind focused during the skill. Be sure you understand what you need to be doing, as that will help your bases as well.
very good advice thanks so much!

Latest posts

Back