All-Star Flyers- Average Weight/height?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree it should be about who looks best in the air v/s size. I dont know maybe more older girls who have average builds and amazing flexability would fly if the sr age group had a higher minimal age, say 15. but then again small gyms would complain. A nice thought though at least.

I agree it should be about who looks best in the air v/s size. I dont know maybe more older girls who have average builds and amazing flexability would fly if the sr age group had a higher minimal age, say 15. but then again small gyms would complain. A nice thought though at least.
This is true. As long as they keep lowering the age for seniors, the more fetal flyers we will see. Plus remember once they change the rules to crop tops for seniors only, you will have 10 year old fetuses wearing crop tops and 14 year old juniors in full tops.

If your flyer is tight and has the correct form then it doesn't matter. My flyer was 5-5 (taller than me) but since she could squeeze tight and lock her knees, height wasnt a problem.

I had a flyer one year who was 4-10 and very tiny but she wasnt very tight. It made her feel heavier then the flyer who was 5-5.

Not just small gyms!!! The big dogs use baby girl flyers too!!!!

I think each flyer is different. A heavier flyer can be more experinced and tighter in the air which makes her "seem" lighter to the bases than a loose lighter weight flyer. I think it really takes into consideration the stunt group as a whole.

smh!!! I can't believe a program like Navarro would actually put this in print. Do they NOT KNOW all the weight problems that cheerleaders already go through?

They aren't the only program that has similar requirements in print. I also looked up some rosters of major College Co Ed cheer programs. There are always exceptions, but the majority posted for flyers were 5'2 or shorter and 110 pounds or less. I don't know, maybe as the sport of cheer grows and becomes more popular this trend will change.

smh!!! I can't believe a program like Navarro would actually put this in print. Do they NOT KNOW all the weight problems that cheerleaders already go through?

Fortunately they picked a pretty good weight... Most coed flyers are under 5'2" so anything heavier than 115 would make them heavier than an athlete of that height would usually be. Of course you may have that occasional girl that drinks too much beer and gains a lot of weight, but as an athlete you should have respect for your body, which means keeping yourself in ideal athletic shape.

CP - 15 y.o. 5'4" and 105 pds.
A flyer since she was 4 and can hit all her level 5 stunts.
Despite being told by her coaches that she has great body positions, is very flexible and can hit her level 5 stunts- full up/double up, tick tock, double down from all body positions, hitch kick double baskets, etc etc
She has been grounded this year- told she is to tall/ her body mass is to big. :(

CP - 15 y.o. 5'4" and 105 pds.
A flyer since she was 4 and can hit all her level 5 stunts.
Despite being told by her coaches that she has great body positions, is very flexible and can hit her level 5 stunts- full up/double up, tick tock, double down from all body positions, hitch kick double baskets, etc etc
She has been grounded this year- told she is to tall/ her body mass is to big. :(

That makes me sad. I am sorry. I would tell her to keep stretching and keep her skills. I am sure there are all girl College Cheer squads or more that would fight to get her as a flyer when she gets older. Maybe next cheer season there is a different cheer gym or team that could put her skills and talents to good use.

I noticed some Colleges have weight requirements. To try out as a flyer for Navarro College (according to their website) you have to be 115 pounds or less.

http://www.navarrocollege.edu/forms/Navarro_Cheerleading_Tryouts_2012.pdf

Navarro College

At the college in my town (Mizzou) you have to be under 120 to try out.... my parents keep asking why I don't want to go there.... that's why! I could never cheer there! If I weighed 120 I would not look healthy. It's because they only have a coed squad so everyone has to fly. That's why i'm going to a college with an all girl team! I'm a base/back all the way!

You have to be this _________ height, and this ________ weight.

It really doesn't matter. You could be 6 feet and 200 pounds, and If you stay tight you could feel even lighter than a 5 feet 100 pound girl.

It really doesn't matter. You could be 6 feet and 200 pounds, and If you stay tight you could feel even lighter than a 5 feet 100 pound girl.

I agree taller / heavier girls can still fly, but if you have a 5 ft , 100 pound girl who is tight and flexible and a 6 ft, 200 pound girl who is also tight & flexible (both equally tight & flexible) the reality is the 5 foot/ 1oo pound girl is going to be easier to throw for baskets, etc.

No matter how loose a 100lb girl is, she will NEVER feel lighter than a perfectly tight 200lb girl. It just doesn't work like that.

Flyers should be as tiny as they can while remaining healthy and keeping their muscle for harder tricks and tumbling. Period. For some girls that means 100lbs, for others, that might mean 120lbs.

I don't think there is necessarily a set weight you need to be, but I do feel lines need to be drawn somewhere, and a lot of it depends on the size of your bases and their strength. There are just too many variables. I have put up ample amounts of girls from under 100lbs to over 120lbs in all types of tricks ranging from beginning to elite. No matter how good the girl was, anything over 125lbs became significantly more taxing on my joints.

Back