Flying?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 25, 2015
I am aging up next year to a division where I will be the youngest. I am also quite short, and am worried the coach will make me fly. I have no interest in flying (I have been a base/back/front for all of my cheer career and have enjoyed it). I don't want everyone looking at me (putting pressure on), flying seems scary and I also don't perform well (does the moves, but isn't very sassy). What do I do if the coach makes me fly? I am open to new things, but flying doesn't seem like it will be fun to me.
It's funny how most people want to fly, but I am the opposite.

I would at least try flying, but if it is that bad for you, I would talk to your coach about the issue because he/she will probably understand.

Former-cp faced a very similar situation when she was in 6th grade - after having been a base since 3rd grade when she started, she was made a flyer on a Senior 3. She wasn't happy but made the best of it with a ridiculously ugly heel stretch and equally ugly scorpion. Fortunately the following season the gym had a junior 3 again and she was able to resume basing. She actually did fly again in 9th grade on her high school team, so you never know what might happen.

I had a friend face the same problem. I recommend waiting until you see your new team because there could be flyers tinier than you that you could base! Good luck :)

I based for years then moved gyms, they didn't believe I would be able to base (I'm quite small) so they had me flying, now I do both! on both teams! It's been great and it makes me understand the stunts more. Take it as a learning experience.

Back