All-Star Foam Rollers?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 11, 2010
I've recentlyseen a gymnast use one of these foam rollers and I've also seen them on Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders - Making the team and now I'm curious.

blackroll_orange.jpg

What do the help with? If anyone uses one, would you recommend it?
I'm really intrigued and would like to try it but am not sure, whether it's bogus or something usefull... Any insight?

Ah so it's more a recovery kind of tool that something to actively help with say stretching/flexibility?
That sounds good, thank you!
That's my understanding. I used to roll out my hamstring when I pulled it and my brother uses it on the tendons in his knee. They use them in physical therapy too.

Yes they help massage tense muscles out and release the trigger points. They are my favorite thing to use when I'm sore after long runs.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

My son's cross country coach gives them to every kid who runs more than 40 miles a week. You roll your legs over them (using your body weight as the pressure) after a hard workout. It works on almost any tight muscle (arms, shoulders, back) and is kind of similar to a deep tissue massage. My son uses his daily. CP uses it on occasion. The tighter the muscle the more it will hurt, but the better you'll feel afterward.

Thank you so much! Sounds exactly like the kind of thing, I need. :)

@Sharkie I found them on Amazon. There are all kinds but the one in the pic is called "Blackroll Orange".

Try your local running store. I don't know if there's a certain brand or not. There are 2 main types. The one pictured above is the entry level (softer) one. There's also one with nubs all over that is more like a torture device IMHO. My son says that's for "serious" runners - those who run 50-60+ miles a week. That one REALLY hurts if you aren't used to using a foam roller.

Google foam roller and you'll find them on Amazon and articles on how to use them. They really do help! Even for my old muscles.

My son uses a Tiger Tail to help with some muscle issues he has...my cheerleader got one after borrowing his after an intense week of practices and tight, painful muscles.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My brother uses a foam roller almost every day, he plays in an extremely competitive club soccer league and pushed himself to the point where his muscles were tearing off his bone. He can lay on the roller on either side of his body and push back and forth onto his thighs and legs, he can also do this while laying on with his front or back side on the roller. Basically it helps massage, relax and stretch out muscles. If you're looking for a more intense feeling, we have been told to try rolling pins. Imagine rolling out dough for bread...but with your muscles. We purchased our foam rollers from Amazon, here is the more intense 'rolling pin' version -

Back